12V socket... broken

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  12V socket... broken

My 12v socket is completely shot. I've tried my cell phone charger, ipod transmitter/charger, and a portable air compressor in it, none of which work. I first noticed the problem when I was trying to fill my tires up with the air compressor. All of a sudden, it just shut off. I thought the air compressor was bad and didn't think much about it. A few days later I noticed other inputs weren't working in it either. Is it possible I blew the fuse? How easy is it to detect and/or replace the fuse for the 12v? The car is a 99 pontiac grand prix gt

posted by  jeranamo

The plug in accessory was working fine and then BAM, nothing. Sounds pretty fuse like to me. Look in your owners manual for fuse replacement instructions.

posted by  vwhobo

Hey thanks for confirming this guys thoughts regarding his blown fuse. I'm sure he'll get to fixing it as soon as he figures out how to read his owners manual. Heck, he may even reply back to you after he figures out that whole reading thing. :thumbs:

posted by  theman352001

Or maybe not. What a shock. :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

i have the same problem in my car and i changed the fuse and it didnt help...is there anything else i can check for?

posted by  farmboy108

Is the fuse still good? If it blew right away then that would indicate a short in your circuit.

If the fuse is still good and the socket doesn't work, then it could mean that you have an open circuit (disconnected circuit) or it could mean that you are not making good contact with whatever you are plugging in.

To test the latter, use a multimeter and check the connections in the socket to see if you are getting voltage. If you are, then you have a connection problem. If not, then it is likely you have an open circuit. Then it is "trace the wires" time.

Good luck.

posted by  theman352001

Your Message