Headlight problem

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Headlight problem

Hello, I have a 1995 pontiac grand am, my headlights wont work at all but my parking lights work. I checked the fuse, the ground, the wiring from the fuse box to the haedlight and got about 2.6 ohms of resistance. I also checked voltage of the wires coming out of the headlight switch and there is none. Im guessing the switch is the problem but sometimes the lights will work. Which does confused me and makes me think a ground or short. But wiring is good so i dont know. PLEASE HELP

posted by  borass07

I am almost positive its the switch, and u might wanna change that ASAP...they can cause car fires since it does get power 24/7.

posted by  Tech_N9ne

Are you sure about that? Are you sure the fuse wouldn't blow first?

posted by  vwhobo

They fuse isnt blown...theres no voltage coming out of the switch which means there is a short in the switch, correct me if im wrong but thats what i think is wrong

Also in my 96 neon winter car, the head lights quit workin and i checked all the fuses and then i smelt somthin burnin and the headlight switch was melting away because of a short.

posted by  Tech_N9ne

Does it hurt to be that stupid? If you have a short, the circuit protection device, commonly known as a fuse, BLOWS. Once the fuse blows, you have no power to the circuit to make any thing burn. This all occurs in a matter of less than one tenth of a second. Care to try again?

posted by  vwhobo

hmmm the fuse isnt blown....power goes in to the switch but doesnt come out...also the headlights dont work...wouldnt that suggest that the switch is the problem? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Also since u kno everything about how everything works, if what u said it true what "let" my headlight switch proceed to melt and burn?

posted by  Tech_N9ne

Your Message