improve handles

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  improve handles

I have a 1973 Mercury Comet.
Its commonly asked question how to increase power, but I was wondeing what I can to to improve handling.
Anything?

This is uncharted car area for me so any advice is good

posted by  Aondor

Essentially any suspension part that works on an early Mustang will also work on your Comet. I'm sure you can find plenty of susupension ugrades for an old Mustang, from something as simple as bushings all the way to complete systems. All that's required is a bit of effort on your part. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

thanks hobo.
any specific tires i should get?

posted by  Aondor

That all depends on what size wheels you intend to run and how much money you have.

posted by  vwhobo

Im running 16's
I make around 450 a week.
So i should beable to afford something nice.

posted by  Aondor

You've got 16 inch wheels on a '73 Comet? I want to make sure that's correct. How wide are they?

posted by  vwhobo

sorry I have 14's

posted by  Aondor

I feel like an idiot. I was thinking my jeep when i wrote 16's dunno why.
So i should probly check salvage yard for parts?
Im sure there's some sites that specialize in older mustangs Im going to go google that.
But any paticular site anyone would like to suggest that they've delt with and got good results from?

posted by  Aondor

of i find alot of stuff for 57-70 mustangs will that fit my 73?
or will 79-83 fit?

posted by  Aondor

Goodyear Eagle F1s are great tires. Car and Driver rated them number 1 in a performance tire test they did not too long ago.

Lowering the car improves handling by lowering the center of gravity of the car. New springs do this, and stiffer springs also increase handling. I think, but am not sure, that your Comet uses leaf springs. I know very little about those and nothing about performance options for those.

If you consider braking to play into handling, converting all brakes to disc would help. Big brake kits with slotted/cross-drilled rotors and ceramic pads will help you brake quicker. Slotting or cross-drilling allows gases that get created by the rubbing of brake pad and rotor that hinder braking to escape quicker through the slots or holes.

posted by  OombaIsBack

Not a bad car man. I got my car finally too incase you haven't been checking out the forums 1988 Mustang GT Convertible, but I still need to make a new cardomain, I don't think I remember the one to that shit ass firebird lol

posted by  Pythias

Brake pads haven't outgassed since teh '60s. All that crossdriling does on modern street brakes is provide bling and a place for the rotors to crack. Even factory drilled rotors from Porsche and GM, that are thicker AND had the holes CAST into the rotors before machining, still crack. THEY use them so that if they are racing in standing water, there's someplace for the water to go.

But, drilling removes material from the brake rotors, causing heat generated stress riser cracks. Slotting can do that, too.

http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html

"Surface area dissipates heat. The amount of surface you create from drilling holes is almost insignificant compared to the initial surface area of a standard OE vented. In addition, x-drilled rotors will reach higher peak temperature because you are removing metal from the rotor. The metal is what absorbs the heat. Plus, you are reducing pad/surface interface.

Your tires are stopping your car. Not the pads. Not the rotors. Not the SS brakelines. The tires. TIRES!!! Want to stop quicker, get better TIRES and stop wasting money on expensive-as-hell rotors. "

http://corner-carvers.com/printthread.php_files/crackedpowerslot.jpg

http://corner-carvers.com/printthread.php_files/DSCN0266a.jPG

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message