Solstice Vs. Mustang

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Solstice Vs. Mustang

Hay, im turning 16 soon and ive been looking at the Pontiac Solstice and the Mustang.I can only got a V6 on the mustang.. unless i get really lucky..lol. I'm soo confused about what i want. Can anyone help me out? ive also been looking at the RX-8 but a lil expensive prolly

posted by  sdude95

How about a budget, and what you want in a car?

From the two, I'd take the Mustang...I'd take a Miata over the Solstice, and I'm pretty sure it had a Silverado gear box...

:2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

The miata may handle better and perform bettter but Imo if you want a sweet looking ride solstices are nice.

If you can afford a solstice you can buy a v8 mustang unless you want to buy something new which since your a young driver I don't suggest. I actualy suggest buying a first car for under 500 dollars driving for a while then buying a new car that way you know what you want.

posted by  Aondor

The miata may handle better and perform bettter but Imo if you want a sweet looking ride solstices are nice.

If you can afford a solstice you can buy a v8 mustang unless you want to buy something new which since your a young driver I don't suggest. I actualy suggest buying a first car for under 500 dollars driving for a while then buying a new car that way you know what you want.

posted by  Aondor

:laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

From the two, I'd take the Mustang...I'd take a Miata over the Solstice, and I'm pretty sure it had a Silverado gear box...

No I'm not Mengano, I was simply "spoofing" him..and wow, you finally say something smart, but then kill it..Mustang is a good pick because it has a good overall power and comfort package so it provides a good bang for the buck, Solstice is a sexy looking car and these roadsters (both the miata and solstice are underpowered) but because of the size and weight should perform and handle very well and they have respectable gas mileage..although I admit a Miata probably has overall better handling/feel I would NEVER pick a Miata over a Solstice though..Miata's are ugly as hell...they look so plain...They need a face lift.

posted by  OVERBURN

Did I kill the smart thing by saying I'd take the Miata over the Solstice?...I'm just more into sport oriented cars, and well...The Miata owns the Solstice in just about everything...
If it's about the gearbox, I read it in Car & Driver...Now I have to dig through them--it was a Colarado gearbox...My bad :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

Are we talking about the sexy retro-Mustang??? If we are, then I'd get a Mustang in a heartbeat. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

I'd forget about getting a Solstice any time soon. Theyre only making 6000 a year and they already have 13,000+ orders.

posted by  OombaIsBack

That and they look just as bad as everything else Pontiac makes.

posted by  jedimario

While I love the Solstice, it's a true sports car (like the Miata) and so the insurance rates will match (and not be something a young person would want to be paying). The V6 Mustang was designed to be cheaper to insure, but has a fair bit of performance in it's own right. Not too many RWD V6 sport coupes on the market under $20k... And with the pony package it actually looks rather good.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wallpaper/05/06/WhitePonyCoupe-1.jpg

People saying that the Miata and Solstice are "underpowered" simply have no clue what true sports cars have always been about. The car in my sig is in the same category and has less than 100 hp. Sports cars have NEVR been defined by their 0-60 times (my MG Midget did 0-60 in 13 seconds, but it felt much faster due to being so small and close to the ground).

posted by  ChrisV

:stupid: I can't really say I like it's styling.

posted by  elchango36

I guess it cant look as good as those boring german boxes in your signature.

posted by  OombaIsBack

hay. ya i sorta have to get a new car... my mom dont trust people with used cars... i think im leaning towards the mustang now. i saw like a metal silver one.. can i get one of those? lol got a site http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/s197/pics/coupe.htm
havent seen any on the road yet

posted by  sdude95

Why not trust used cars?...Especially for a first car...But either way, if you're thinking of the new Mustang, then definitely that, especially (if you can get it) a GT Convertible.
:2cents::hi:

But I'd go used lol

posted by  chris_knows

The Solstice is sweet, but not a good primary driver. The V6 Mustang in my opinion looks better than the GT. The GT's driving lights or whatever make it look funky. The smaller lights or none at all look really good and actually makes it look more like the old Mustangs. Go for the 'Stang. A lot more practical.

posted by  moostang104314

Especially with the 2006 "Pony" package I believe, they look awesome.

posted by  Pythias

I just read about the Solstice GXP in Car and Driver. Turbo version of the 2.0L making 260 hp, which is the most hp/lr of any car in GM history! All for what they believe will cost only $25k.

posted by  OombaIsBack

yeah that sounds realy underpowered to me. *chuckle
Seriously man don't go new youll wreck and it destroy a new car and you'll never live long enough to pay it off.

posted by  Aondor

ahhh, the beauty of fast cars... no need to worry about paying for it :laughing:

posted by  pik_d

no worries my grand pa is buying it for me :)

posted by  sdude95

then life is your oyster mah man!

posted by  Aondor

I would say buy a Mustang.

posted by  HoofHearted

Id not get either imo. Id get like a used MR2 Spyder or something.

But... of those Id take a Solstice...

posted by  StiMan

Whoa Whoa Whoooaaaa.....

A 2005/2006 GT weighs no where near 800lbs heavier than the 99-04 GT.

2005 Mustang GT Deluxe - 3450lbs
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/ford/mustang/100464179/specs.html
2004 Mustang GT Deluxe - 3347lbs
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/ford/mustang/100299265/specs.html

So that dispells that myth of yours. Weighs about 100lbs more, 103lbs to be exact according to edmunds. But that doesnt matter, because the 05/06 kill the 99-04 in power (300hp vs. 260hp and 320tq vs. 302tq).

By value of a used Mustang GT what do you exactly mean?

Do you mean resale value or performance/dollar?

Because its resale value is pathetic. A 2004 GT with low mileage (20k in the case i tried) is worth only $16k-$17k if you sell it privately. Brand new they were $24k. So in only 2 years it lost 30% of its value...ouch. Compare that to say a mainstream 2004 Honda Accord EX-V6 sedan with the same mileage which is worth $20,250 and brand new they were $26,400. So it only lost 24% of its value in the same 2 years.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Thats because the people that set the values are biased. Any foreign car will keep its value longer than an American car for no apparent reason. Besides, just because thats what they say its worth that doesnt mean that anyone is going to pay/sell their car for that amount.

posted by  OombaIsBack

OH sure, they're all biased...:orglaugh:

Your statement cant be more than wrong. Mitsubishis are almost all rated low for resale, while some domestics are rated high like the Corvette and such.

Let's put aside the fact you're ignorant for a second and join the real world. There is a reason EVERY place puts the Mustang as having poor resale and the Accord as having good resale...BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!

I know they are not always accurate, but they are definatley mostly close. The only times they are usually way off are in the instances of RARE vehicles (Cobra R, GNX, Supra), and the Mustang GT is as far from rare as they come. $16k-$17k is definatley accurate for 2004 GT with low miles. Around Baton Rouge that's the going rate, same in Atlanta. BTW - the dealer used retail price was $19k, if that helps. Basically what they would try and pull off at car max.

When many people are buying used from a private seller they go by kbb and such other places for accurate price ranges. If someone has a 2004 GT listed in the paper for $19,999 with 25000 miles on it they will probably look right over it, as they know the going rate is supposed to be a few thousand dollars cheaper. Sure you can try and sell your car for more than it's worth, probably not going to get it if the guy next door has the same car for 10% less.

Just to add, the price quote for the GT was for a Deluxe Manual GT (the cheapest GT) with 20000 miles on it.

I did an autotrader search and almsot all the barebones deluxe GT's (hard to find ones without the 40th anni package) fell between $16k-$18k. The Premium automatic optioned out GT's were slightly more expensive (being around $18k-$20k)

You know how much I love and know about mustangs, and I agree.

posted by  Pythias

Its gonna be great having you back thunderbird. Bringing your Honda crap into every single thread. We get it, you like ugly slow 4 door sedans. We dont care. Why bring it up in a topic about sports cars?

If you can do nothing but talk about Hondas, then stfu until a thread about them comes along.

posted by  OombaIsBack

I think someone's cranky because Seattle lost :laughing::joking:

posted by  chris_knows

*cries*
I wish they would have won.

posted by  Aondor

Just trying to help.
I have researched the New Mustangs Heavily, because I plan to purchase another one.
Just hate to see a kid buy a piece of crap for a first car.
No offense to you personally.
I wouldnt ride in a Honda. or any other 4N piece of crap.
Buy American, Have some pride.
Honda, Nissan, Datsun,Mazda,Hyundai, Kia, Daiwoo, Lexus,Infinity,
Subaru..............There all junk to me.
All built the same, with recycled pop cans.

Just trying to give my two cents, just like you.

posted by  HoofHearted

except for he uses facts... and you use misled opinion... :screwy: ESPECIALLY if you think kia's are built the same as lexus's and infiniti's... and think there's an 800lb difference between the '04 and '05 mustang gt's...

posted by  pik_d

:stupid:

posted by  elchango36

Just....unbelievable.

May you burn in hell.

posted by  Mathew

Yes, but your two cents are bult from ignorance, closed mindedness, and bullshit.

In another thread I gave someone a hard time for not wanting to ever give American cars a chance, and here I have to do the opposite to you. You need to pull your head out of your ass and get a clue.

You know somewhere between jack and squat about cars if you really believe the crap you're spewing.

posted by  ChrisV

Wow, and that's the best response you can actually come up with.

I used the Accord as an example because I KNOW it's rated high in resale. What's wrong with using it? Explain.

Yeah I definatley am back here at CF, already getting the "dammit I cant come up with anything but Honda insults" from boomba.

BTW - A V6 Accord 6spd SEDAN will gladly had your analProbe its ass.

You are just one biased moron.

MOST asian cars are BUILT IN AMERICA now. Guess what, some of your very beloved Fords are BUILT IN MEXICO and CANADA! Do you think they have monkeys assembling Camrys while they have rocket scientists assembling Mustangs? Get a grip on life man!

Please, just please stop the rhetoric and go out and take a few test drives in some asian cars. Take a drive in a 06 Sonata V6, 06 S2000, 06 IS350, 06 Evolution IX...THEN get back to us and tell us how unsuperior asian vehicles are to american vehicles. Until then, everytime you put down asian vehicles as a whole, you will be laughed at by everyone on here, including boomba.

I can test drive them all I want
Im not gonna say there insuperior cars in fact some of them are wonders of technology.
There just not my style/look/feell I personally enjoy.
So I personally prefer american cars and Im sure thats what hes trying to say from a more ignorant point of view

posted by  Aondor

No no. He's easily convinced himselt he's right and it's the right thing to do and asian vehicles are "junk" as he said...

I think his deduction goes a bit beyond style/look/feel.

Too bad I'm a Steelers fan :thumbs:

posted by  OombaIsBack

Its also alot newer and alot more expensive than my car. Its absolutely stupid to put that much power in a family hauler. Stupid stupid stupid. Who is really going to want a performance Accord. Come the **** on.

posted by  OombaIsBack

Is it because Ward got MVP? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

You said nothing about price or age. You said "ugly slow 4-door sedans" after making another one of your "Honda Sucks" comments, so I refuted and made you pissy and sad like usual.

Obviously you know nothing about Honda heritage or the past. MANY people want a performance version of the Civic and Accord. Hence why they have had such previous models (some currently made still) as the Civic Si, Civic Type-R, Accord Type-R, Accord Type-S etc... And many of those performance models of simple people movers have been around for 2 decades now. Obviously some people buy them for Honda to keep them around.

Oh and Honda offers the HFP kit for the Accord for a good reason, for those buyers who want a little more sport injected into their Accord.

Why not put more power into the Accord? They Accord has to stay competitive with other family sedan from other companies.

Accord = 244hp
Altima = 250hp-260hp
Camry = 268hp
Fusion/6 = 221hp
Sonata = 235hp

Why not? They have/had versions of the Accord (not sold here) that had 300hp. People enjoy having performance small cars, mid-size, and large vehicles, be it 2 doors or 4 doors.

BTW - Honda sells between 75,000-100,000 Accord V6s every year recently. So apparently many people dont mind having a lot more power in their family mover.

Dumb Asses.

I'll tell you what Thunderchicken1100, Your more than welcome to come visit me and I'll Straighten you out. real quick.
You should really come visit during the fall,
Hunting Season around here.
I have an antler hat and a brown Jacket with your name on it.
You want a pissing contest? okay.

I never said Buy UNITED STATES CARS.
because I'm well aware that most manufacturing for Ford, as well as some assembly, is performed in Mexico and Canada.
But, As Members of NAFTA, then they would be AMERICAN. Correct?
Call me a Moron, and not expect some response, Eh Stupid?
I can see your one of those ignorant ****s who believe 4N cars are the greatest.
Well, your entitled to opinion. And you know what?
Thats the Great thing about living in this country.
Freedom of choice. I fought for that right as an american soldier.
Just like your freedom to spew the shit you type out.
I honestly hope you'll come visit me, out here in the land of wide open spaces, so I can put a size 15EE Boot in your dumb, 4N car loving ass.

I will never, ever ride in a Honda, Izuzu, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, or any of those type of vehicles, Personal Choice.
Oh, I know, They have built manufacturing plants in these United States,
And employ some people who contribute to the U.S Tax base,
But bottom line, The dollars you spend on those vehicles eventually end up in Asia.
They could be the best built Automobiles in the world, I wouldnt care.
Their still built by people who look down upon The United States of America.

Whats that? you say they dont?
Then what about how they treat United States Imports in Their own Countries? Or how they try and Re-Write world History by calling the United States the Aggressors in World War II.
Yeah, We won that war, and its a shame we didnt exact more revenge for the Atrocities committed by the Imperial Japanese Army.

So heres to you :fu: thunderchicken100.
Adios, Dumbass.

posted by  HoofHearted

:guns: :screwy: :doh: :banghead: :clap: :cussing: :pop:

that is all i have to say

posted by  nighthawk

HoofHearted-

so you fought in a war (which one, and where were you?), and you're pro-american. fine.

but then you go on saying "All built the same, with recycled pop cans." now you must know that's a lie... that's one of the problems we have with your post. spreading lies because of your prejudice against the japanese (and koreans too? oh wait... japan OCCUPIED korea during WWII, they weren't allies, were they?) i guess racism is a little blind...

anyway, what about the fact that some american companies own parts of japanese companies (such as ford owning 1/3rd of mazda, GM owns 44% of daewoo, etc) are you overlooking that, and just looking at the situation with tunnel vision?

and about the fact that the dollar will "eventually end up in Asia", how can you just negate the fact that ALL those american workers get paid because you just bought a new mazda? guess what... 40% of mazda's USA sales come from THREE plants in the USA... i'd say that's alot of dollar going back to the US economy.

you're patriotic, but it seems to me you've got a bit of prejudice from whichever war you were in clouding the fact that NOT everyone over there hate's us... and... how does the logic work that their government back in the 40's tried to kill us... so let's boycott their economy... 60 years later? :screwy:

posted by  pik_d

I think either Randle El or Bettis shouldve had the MVP. Randle El for being so vital as a utility in gadget plays, or Bettis for overall greatness to the Steelers over the years. I'm really gonna miss him.

posted by  OombaIsBack

What, so you can get internet access in your trailer now? Yeehaw!

posted by  Mathew

With this post and your previous posts, you have already ended your credibility here. In matter of days. How sad is that?

You have to invite me over to "Straighten me out". What the hell, are you a gay 50 year old man who invites unsuspecting college students over to your barn to molest? I wouldn't drive 1000 miles much less 1 mile to kick your ass. I excrete bigger pieces of s*it than you. Why waste my time on such an ignorant ass like you?

EDIT: Go Fu*k a goat.

Im gonna say I was wrong about him and his look/style/feel he is definetly A redneck dumb ass

posted by  Aondor

I have a saying that I go by all the time, and some of you who argue with Rejects that come on this board just to start fights may want to think about this...

"Never argue with a stupid person. First they'll drag you down to their level, then they'll beat you with experience."

posted by  Erdrickk

This is a forum for presenting information. Unsubstantiated or incorrect information deserves to be refuted, else it's tacitly agreed to be factual.

posted by  ChrisV

of course ChrisV, you are right about that. My point was further to where members just argue for the sake arguing just for a reaction or purley because they are bored...or really just plain stupid :)

posted by  Erdrickk

well i went with the mustang... i got a V6 for insurence reasons... but it has this mach III pachage thats awesome i think, body kit, dual exhaust, and some pimpin rims :) lol
ill post a pic if i ever learn how to... lol yall can continue yalls argueing if yall wanna tho :guns:

posted by  sdude95

I want to see pictures...never heard of the Mach III package though, and it's "wheels"

to put images up, just make a photobucket account, and put them up from there, or resize them to under 100Kb and upload them directly to CF...

posted by  chris_knows

I was never really a big fan of the last generation Mustang, but I always loved the new Mustang Mach I:

http://www.goldenhillsmustangclub.com/Car%20of%20the%20Month%20Page/Kevin%2 0Pope's%202003%20Mach%201.jpg

posted by  Mathew

how i make a photobucket account? or dont kno how to upload em to CF... im completely new to the putting pics on the computer deal lol

posted by  sdude95

Either go to photobucket.com and make an account there, find the link...

or scroll down while posting a reply, go to manage attatchments, and attach it...

posted by  chris_knows

ok now im just getting extremely confused... i dont kno how to find the pic once im doin the browse thing... lol im an idiot...

posted by  sdude95

Do you know how to attatch them to an e-mail?...Just send them to me, and I can put them up for you :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

hopefully i got it right... hope u like it :laughing: :clap: http://photobucket.com/albums/f170/sdude95/

posted by  sdude95

you got it right... and wow... that looks awesome. :thumbs:

what year is it?

posted by  pik_d

:hi: :hi: Could you take a picture saying Chris_Knows is a pimp? :laughing:...How much did that set you back?

posted by  chris_knows

its a 2005. we got it for $24,500(like 26,500 after tax & title) the sticker was around 29,000 but we got a discount b/c they were trying to get rid of all there 2005's^^

posted by  sdude95

Your Message