My Car's Tune-up

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  My Car's Tune-up

Well I have my car (1988 Mustang GT Convertible) in a Performance shop right now and am having the following things done to it.

-Check
-Fuel Injectors
-Fuel rails
-All Vacuum Lines
-All the brakes
-If I have rear Drums tighten the star wheel nice & tight

-Change
-Fuel filter
-Oil change (Synthetic)
-Tranny Flush & Filter

-Clean
-Throttle Body
-MAP Sensor

-Grease Up Suspension

-Top off all the Fluids

I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions, I think I have most of it covered though. I do have one last question though. My speedometer is off and the shop told me I needed to have it calibrated and that a new speedometer wouldn't fix the problem. But he said they are few and far between around here because of how muhc the equipment costs to do it. Now I am not a speeder and I obey the speed limits pretty nicely, but with my speedometer not being accurate that doesn't matter, lol. So if anyone could give me any hints where I can find someone to do this, such as what the place would be called, that would be great, the only place I can think of is this Tempest racing place near me that has an in-house dyno which I am about to call. Thanks to any and all suggestions.

-Well Tempest racing said they don't have the tools but when I get a dyno I can monitor it with my own eyes. They said the last place they heard of that did it got in trouble because people were calling because they got speeding tickets and were taking it to that place to get them to say their speedo was off and get out of tickets. Anyway I still need a resolution for my problem lol.

posted by  Pythias

Not sure how to calibrate a speedo, nor anyone who could do it, but if you take it to a dyno, then you could find out how far it is, I doubt it is more than 5 miles...

She should run a lot better now though :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Did you check and replace the plugs?

posted by  newyorker

Already done when I got it, brand new as well as wires and coil packs.

posted by  Pythias

Run seafoam through the engine to be sure at the next oil change. Also check the exhaust for any cracks/rust/etc.etc.

posted by  newyorker

Yes that is something I plan on doing eventually.

posted by  Pythias

Well so far I'm jsut getting this done-

$300- cap rotor wires spark plugs pcv valve and fuel filter
$90 - Fuel injectors throttle body Flushed and cleaned

Turns out I had the wrong wires and spark plugs weren't really a good kind.

posted by  Pythias

Costs a pretty penny, but it had to be done, probably improve fuel efficiency too...

posted by  chris_knows

Yes and here's what else is left that I want done.

-Oil change-Synthetic -59

-Transmission Flush & Filter- 90$

-Radiator hoses 70

-New fluid and gasket for rear end 90$

-EGR valve- 360

posted by  Pythias

Dude, do the EGR Valve yourself, you are getting ripped off Hardcore. I can go to NAPA and pick one up for $120.00 Supply only and install it in 5 min. It sits right on top of your engine, theres like 2 bolts you have to take off and disconnect the wires that go in to the solenoid (top of it)

I am talking Canadian dollars too heheh

posted by  Erdrickk

n/m 12345..10 characters :banghead:

posted by  TokyoJoe

?????

posted by  Pythias

you HAVE to post 10 characters or more..

posted by  TokyoJoe

Yeah so your post was just to raise your post count? :screwy:

posted by  Pythias

It's 5...

posted by  chris_knows

Ohhh Jesus! I was going to give him a link to a speedo re-calibrator but once I posted it I saw they are only for like 96' and up so it wouldn't work for him and this board has no delete button.

Yeah you caught me I live to post whore :clap:

posted by  TokyoJoe

Join the club :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Oh ok I gotcha, Also once I got my tune up for the spark plugs and ignition wires the speedo isn't too bad, but I plan on having the car dynoed sometime and i will just watch it with my eyes to check the speedo if it is off, but if you know of any speedo recalibraters for my car please link me up! May come in handy.

posted by  Pythias

Ohhh Jesus! I was going to give him a link to a speedo re-calibrator but once I posted it I saw they are only for like 96' and up so it wouldn't work for him and this board has no delete button.

Yeah you caught me I live to post whore :clap:

posted by  TokyoJoe

Why not drive down a highway at 60, and with a friend beside you doing 60, to see how far off it is?

posted by  chris_knows

How do you know how closely calibrated your friend's speedometer is?:doh:

posted by  vwhobo

I might do that when I visit my friends during spring break, but I don't have many friends close enough to me to go waste time doing that lol for 75$ I rather find out what kind of power I am putting out AND see how far my speedo is off.

posted by  Pythias

Just to get a general idea...then he can check the dyno to be more exact later on.

posted by  chris_knows

Do you by chance have diff. size tires/rims than stock? I've got a tire size calculator here somewhere and I can find out exactly how far off you are if that's the case.

posted by  TokyoJoe

No I do not.

posted by  Pythias

Chris_Knows where can I host an image of my car with jsut the full picture like other people and not have it so you have to click on it to expand it?

posted by  Pythias

Check you inbox lol

posted by  chris_knows

How about a GPS? They also tell you the speed within 1 MPH

posted by  Golddragoner

Really? I did not know that, it's a possibility for summertime because right now I have a stack of things I plan on doing with my upcomming money for the next few months, but I have always wanted to get a GPS.

posted by  Pythias

Did you get my 2nd PM?...It says your inbox is full, but the message is in my sent messages section too lol...clean out your inbox lol

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message