Ok

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Ok

Im uprgrading my engine in my car Ive made several posts about it.
Should I go with the 302 or 351 windsor?

posted by  Aondor

Don't be lazy, not everyone is following your life story. Re-cap.

posted by  Mathew

I have a 1973 comet with a 250 straight 6.
Looking for an engine swap should I look for a 302 or 351 windsor are there advantages to either motor?
Thanks

Sorry I was pretty undescriptive on the question if there anything else you need to know ask.

posted by  Aondor

The 351 is the better choice in this case. It's basically the same engine as the 302, using the same (and in yoru case available factory) motor mounts. the bigger cubes give you more power at the same price point. It IS a tiny bit wider and taller, but in the Maverick/Comet, that's not an issue.

Personally, I'd find a way of stuffing a 460 in there, but that's just me. ;)

posted by  ChrisV

yup, thats the way i'd go. i'd love to find a late 80's mustang and shoehorn a 460 in that.

posted by  glagon1979

Already did it with an early Fox Mustang:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/mystang1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/mystang2.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

hmm, i recognize that picture... back when i first joined i think... but if someone showed it to me i would have guess it to be hobo's for some reason... :ohcrap:

posted by  pik_d

Thanks alot Chris.
How difficult is a 460 swap?
and where would i go about finding one Im not sure im capable enough to rebuild one myself

posted by  Aondor

You'd have to weld in Mustang II suspension to fit a 460 in there. The 351W requires AutoKraft headers for that swap, or notching the shock towers for 302 headers.

But here's a guy to ask about the 460 into a Comet..

http://www.comet466.homestead.com/homepage.html

posted by  ChrisV

So where do i find autokraft headers?
The 460 is too complicated for me besides Im not looking that much power just something that can be respectable on the street
A 351 with some engine work(if i ever get aroudn to engine work) should give me plenty of power.
What does a stock 351W produce anyways? don't have to be percise just general number will do

posted by  Aondor

Don't know but the 95 Cobra R with the 351 produced 300HP and
385torque :drool:

posted by  Pythias

Stock 351Ws came in many, many flavors, from passenger car to truck, and anywhere from 150 hp up. A cheap one with mild, bolt-on parts should easily make 300 hp. Make sure you find a higher compression engine to start with, and you can use heads from any later 289/302/5.0.

posted by  ChrisV

thanks alot chris.
How can I tell if its high compression or not?
Anythign specific too look for Ive hit some salvage places and found several decent apearing 351's.

posted by  Aondor

Personally I'd go with the 351 Cleveland, the Windsor I thought is more of a truck motor

posted by  99integra

every cleveland I have ever found has been out my price range

posted by  Aondor

No, that was ChrisV's...I remember he showed it to FordFromHell351, back when everyone thought he was 23...I think Chris said it put out a bit over 600hp...

posted by  chris_knows

The Cleveland would require wholesale cutting of the shock towers, as it would fit much like the 429/460. It's a much larger, heavier block than the 351W, and while it has excellent power potential (beter than the 351W), it's no more of a bolt in than the 460, which will make MORE power, cheaper. Hell, a stock 460 from a '69-70 Lincoln is rated at 550 lbs ft of torque... You can get those for under $500.

Aondor, for 351W look for early '70s station wagons and trucks to get the better blocks. None of them have huge compression, stock, but stuff from the later '70s and '80s is too low to use as a performance base. You could rebuild it with higher comperssion aftermarket pistons, but I was figuring you didn't want to have to mod the internals other than a simple cam swap.

posted by  ChrisV

Alright last question, is the Cleveland the engine with higher compression and higher rpm or is that the Windsor?

posted by  99integra

the Cleveland is the one with the bigger heads, canted valves and mid-size block. the 351W is the largest of the 221/260/289/302/5.0/315W family. You could find 2 barrel Clevelands with low compression just as easily as low compression 351Ws. The Cleveland was the 351C/351M/400M, and patterned after the 429/460 engine on a smaller block.

You can adapt the canted valve Cleveland heads to the 302/351W, but it requires some water passage machining and custom intake manifold. In Aus, you could get the engine in 302 cid size, as well. And the heads were the basis for the BOSS 302 engines, built from the Windsor blocks.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks for clearing that up Chris :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

I might mod the internals eventualy but thats farther down the road just getting it swapped and running.
Ill engine searching friday after i get my paycheck.
So what bolt ins/upgrades would I need to obtain 300+ hp?

posted by  Aondor

Your Message