TRUE Dual Exhaust or Crossover?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  TRUE Dual Exhaust or Crossover?

Ok so I was talking to a friend of mine about exhaust options. He claims that crossover pipes (H-pipe, or X-pipe) is not really true dual exhaust and doesn't sound as good as two seperate pipes with cats on each pipe. My question is, which sounds better, and which adds more power? Crossover pipes, or what he claims to be True dual exhaust. I know most H and X pipes add around 20-30hp or so. I have no idea what the seperate pipes would add. I want to have a good, loud sounding exhaust, but of course one that adds some performance as well. I was expecting to spend around 700$ on a Bassani X-Pipe and then maybe some Flowmaster 40 series, but he says you can do the seperate pipes for much less. What is your take on this?

Thanks for any input

posted by  Pythias

Finally an option for me...I don't not have an un-idea, but it doesn't not sound cool :laughing:

I can help though, to visualize:Bassani X-Pipe:
http://www.motorsportimage.com/products/exhaust/images/bassani_x.jpg

H-Pipe
http://www.jdsperformance.com/images/806-4605-X-450b.jpg

Or this:
http://www.performance-plus.com/images/exhaust-l.jpg

I don't know much on exhausts, so...I can't offer any input :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

if h-pipes and x-pipes didn't work any better, people probably wouldn't do them, b/c they can be a pita to install (non premade, at least...)

posted by  dodger65

I could be wrong, but wouldn't the straight dual exhaust be better performing
cause of the fact it has no major bends or kinks to block gasses?
but i dunno about sound, mufflers and the material of the pipes will determine
this id say:2cents:

posted by  nighthawk

I thought x pipes gave maximum flow. of course Im wrong alot

posted by  Aondor

:thumbs: Yes I am still unsure as well, so hopefully someone knowledgable such as ChrisV will hopefully come and shed some light on this mystery.

posted by  Pythias

i still vote true dual for most power:mrgreen:

comon someone who knows for sure....

posted by  nighthawk

Straight pipes with no kittys.

posted by  PontiacFan27

yea i'm pretty sure garfield cant help exhaust systems... :laughing:

posted by  pik_d

Properly tuned crossover will give better response and better sound.

posted by  Wally

that's what i'm saying... google it, people...

posted by  dodger65

Google schmoogle, it's a well known fact in performance circles.

I must admit though I have never considered a 20-30hp gain. What it does do is flatten the power curve.

posted by  Wally

I was referring to crank power, and thanks for the info wally.

posted by  Pythias

i'm saying google for those folks w/o reliable performance circles...:wink2:

posted by  dodger65

The difference between the two would be backpressure for low end torque. True dual with straight pipes would sound amazingly tough but at the expense of losing low end torque yet gaining minimal amounts of top end power.

I wouldn't say there is a better or worse just a trade off depending on your setup and driving style. Of course if you are FI that is a whole different ballgame.

BTW: Crossover or not it is still considered a "true dual" A contrary example would be my car. A transverse mounted engine with a crossover connecting both mani's to a single downpipe then to a Y out to dual exhaust <-- not a "true dual"

posted by  TokyoJoe

The crossover pipe equalizes the exhaust pulses, and aids in scavanging. This smooths out throttle response and increases low end power, while providing enough tailpipe to not hurt top end power. It's the same principle as using a collector at the header vs individual tubes per exhaust port going all the way back.

Race cars that only use full throttle and higher rpms can get away with individual exhaust pipes, but cars that use their full rpm range need scavanging, and benefit from crossovers.

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message