anyone hear this before?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  anyone hear this before?

pythias's last post on exhaust for his fox mustang, got me thinkin,

does anyone know just how to get that amazing IMO perfect 8 cylinder sound?

ill try to discribe it... haha

its kind of a quiet rumble at idle, ...
with a bit of a raspy sound coming in at about 3500rpm(best guess):evil:
and goes into a full violent-sort-of-flapping sound at highest rpms,:cussing:

someone in my town has a late 80's camaro with a 350 and it makes this exact sound

someone told me he has straight dual exhaust with dual cherrybombs?
and someone else said glass packs. so im sorta lost,
when my car's black, itd be noice if it sounded something like this

any info is good stuff and thanks:thumbs:

posted by  nighthawk

Straight pipes, no mufflers. The only way to ride, baby

posted by  PontiacFan27

thats all good and stuff, but im pretty sure the camaro im talkin about HAS mufflers :2cents:

posted by  nighthawk

Or maybe it doesnt. You should probably ask him.

posted by  OombaIsBack

The other day I saw a javelin with this sound (sounded good). Then he tried to take off and like floor it, although it was very loud it didn't seem to go anywhere with that great acceleration. It was funny because everytime he switched gears his tires lost traction. Also can you have that sound with mufflers on?

posted by  salimander13

that is usually a good thing. that means he had a nice firm shifting tranny, probably set up for racing. my car does it

posted by  glagon1979

Like one of

these (http://www.lukey.com.au/default.asp?pageid=GROWLSOUND&template=GROWLSOUND& catid=67) ?

posted by  Wally

im not flaming but those were all 4 cyl and maybe 6 cyl engines,
none of those sounded anything like it at all, you know, maybe it dosent have any mufflers:doh:

oh well, good info

posted by  nighthawk

errrr....

glasspacks and cherry bombs = the same thing. a cherry bomb is a glass pack muffler.

probably what he has. either that or some sort of glasspack. Personally I recommened the blue bottles....(cousin to the cherry bomb...but throatier sound, probably closer to what your looking for)

and it would be illegal to run straights...plus you would know straights if you heard them...it would sound rough at all RPMs...

EDIT: link

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=115+400143 +313896&autoview=sku

FSCK....i can't get it to direct link. Search "Glasspack" on summit, youll see what i'm talking about for the cherry bombs, and the the blue bottles (smithy patriots)

posted by  dodgerforlife

I run straights and have never been pulled over for it

posted by  Aondor

you also don't live in newfieville.

posted by  dodgerforlife

i may be in newfieville (first time i heard that one)

but the laws are pretty damn slack here
i see a cop maybe once every day or two no joke:thumbs:

posted by  nighthawk

solution = big ole LOPEY cam:mrgreen:

posted by  TokyoJoe

You should look harder. There are 8's in there.

As far as I'm concerned the Clevo/Windsors are the only ones worth listening too anyway.

posted by  Wally

Well that is a basic necessity in the first place isn't it? The other basic ingrediant is over fueling to get the crackle..

posted by  Wally

How does overfueling make a difference? I know you can lower the idle to make the cam sound a little more aggresive than it really is, almost make it sound like it is about to stall but not quite the same.

posted by  TokyoJoe

how 'bout this?

http://compcams.com/base/multimedia/soundbytes/compcams278.mp3

same muffins as the white car in my sig...:thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

I live in Wv not wefilevile or whatever. The rules on hot rods are slack here but some 4 bangers runs neons or a fart can they jump all over them

posted by  Aondor

Your Message