Wrangler

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Wrangler

OK to start I know this isnt the place for SUVs but the other forum has been down so Il just ask here. Here goes
Ive been a bit closed minded lately with the whole SRT-4 thing, and when I was at the auto show, I got into the wrangler for laughs and giggles as a joke, and believe it or not, I actually really liked it. The exterior is quite nice, and the interior is simple but functional. I like how you can remove the doors, roof and so on. It seems like a nice jeep, and I believe they are all 4x4 and most of them are manual trans (what i want), so I just wanted some opinions. Also how is the relibability. Ive been reading a bit, and heard from some that they go up to 200k and over with proper care. I would be interested in the 4 cylinder for fuel economy, since they only top at 100 anyway. They seem nice for just cruising, and good for all weather where the srt-4 in the snow, would pretty much be undrivable. Also since drving my moms RAV4, ive kinda liked being a bit higher from the ground, because I feel I have more control over the vehicle. What do you guys think? Also what kinda power do they push.

posted by  newyorker

I know the 4.0L I6 had problems galore for years (mostly oil leaking issues), but i heard they are putting in a new 3.8L for 2007. I've never driven a four banger model but I can imagine it would be pretty painfully slow for my tastes. The 4.0L I6 I drove (1994 model) was very aggrivating to drive because of the lack of power (180hp, 3100lbs) especially on the highway (thanks to 4wd).

The 2.4L they have now only puts out 147bhp and 165tq and the Wrangler weighs about 3200-3300lbs from what I remember. So it would be pretty frustrating to drive IMO. I would definatley try and pickup a newer I6 model with 200hp.

posted by  thunderbird1100

But I mean is it nice for just driving around and not racing it or whatever? They are quite expensive

posted by  newyorker

I may be wrong here, but I've always looked at Wranglers as kinda like the old Suzuki Vitara's......something for the beach, with strangely soft suspension lol. As I said, I might be wrong, but with this in mind....I'd say they'd be a nice mix between on-road and off-road vehicle, as any 'soft roader' tends to be....

posted by  Cliffy

I forgot you drive a Neon, should be slow enough for you:laughing:

J/K

But really, It bothered me driving the I6 4wd on the highway, no top end. But that's to be expected. Even my 1990 Accord felt much quicker accelerating at highway speeds than the Wrangler I drove did (even with the Accord only having 125hp, guess it was the FWD instead of 4wd for top end).

Brother, if you want to know what the true definition of aggrivation means, then drive a 2.3 liter Ranger and floor it :cussing: :doh:

posted by  99integra

i got a better one. a 1988 ranger with a 2.0!!!!! talk about slow:banghead:

posted by  glagon1979

I have driven a '77 Civic CVCC with 70hp, albeit it only weighed probably 2000lbs.

take that same 70hp, add 765lbs, and you've got a toyota prius. that's probably the least fun car i've driven...

posted by  pik_d

Gets great milage tho. And has XENON:banghead:

posted by  newyorker

and overpriced for it's class. :laughing:

posted by  pik_d

What do you want...hybrid technology...

posted by  newyorker

You get to write it off on your taxes :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

well... if they're "saving" you gas at the pump... they're just taking a larger chunk away from you at the dealership. (in the case of this, and other hybrid, cars)

chris_knows, how much of a tax deduction is it per year?

posted by  pik_d

Up to 2 Grand, but probably closer to one...
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml

posted by  chris_knows

oh. it's a 1 time thing. well.. that does make sense. still doesn't quite close the gap of extra cost. but sure, if ya keep the car long enough, (around 5 years, unless you drive non-stop for a living), you can make it pay itself back.

my grandma just got a 2006 prius... she'll NEVER drive enough to make the gas money pay the difference. i'm not sure i understand her reasoning there... :screwy: crazy grandma's...

posted by  pik_d

Maybe she cares for the economy/environment? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

her only requirement for a car was that it's a hatchback, so she doesn't have to lean over as far to get the groceries out of the trunk. :mrgreen: that's all she ever uses a car for anyway... i think it was something like 40k miles on a late 80's vw golf when she got the prius. THIS year.

posted by  pik_d

They weigh in the range of 1600lbs... I think they're quite fun to drive (the one I had was a '78 1200cc which was rated at 54hp if I remember correctly).

posted by  Bino

With a swap to a modern engine itl be fast. How much does the Elise weigh in at?

posted by  newyorker

2,000 lbs...

posted by  chris_knows

Geez...are you guys everr gonna turn metric? lol....To me that's the equivelent of around 900kg's :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

2,000lbs is 909kg, but since the car actually weighs 1984lbs, the actual weigt is 901kg :laughing:...So 900 is almost exact lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Hey, I just know my stuff lol.....Well, I just knew roughly how much they weighed, in our units anyways lol

posted by  Cliffy

You also get to replace the complicated battery pack Toyota uses in their Hybrids instead of the simple IMA setup Honda uses. Which places have estimated anywhere from $2000-$4000 to replace.

I think the tax break is a one time tax break of like $1000-$2000.

IF you want something that gets just as good gas mileage as the prius get a diesel Golf or Jetta. Dont have to worry about the complexity of the hybrid system or ever replacing a battery pack.

Plus, it's a known fact Toyota HEAVILY overrates the Prius' MPG (I dont know how it got those EPA ratings of 61/55 mpg). Many people are getting only 2/3's of what Toyota says it is supposed to get (most are getting a tad under 40mpg), and it's not that they are driving the vehicle hard or anything.

2000lbs with me and him in it. It was a '78 Civic CVCC, he bought it in '77 (miss-typed that). It's in mint condition too. It was rated at 63hp for the CVCC, the base engine was 55hp for '78.

Your Message