Taurus headers

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Taurus headers

We are selling my jeep.
Im getting my moms ford taurus as a daily driver because she hates it and wants rid of it.So i will have to be driving it around daily its in good shape with only 34k miles. Its a 2001 with 3.0ldohc.
Its realy slow boring car in my opinion.
But if I must endure it then I need to mod it.
What can I do to get a fair amount of boost out of it?
are racechips or ece modules worth my time?
new headers? dual exhaust?
fuel injection? turbo? CAI?
What are some pretty basic things I can do to increase power and make it fun to drive

posted by  Aondor

Don't waste your money...if you want to enjoy it just put a system in it and save your money for something better. I would even say sell it but your only gonna get prob like maybe 7 or 8 for it but i doubt even that much.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

a system?

posted by  Aondor

A stereo system.. subs, amp, etc.

posted by  Benson

Pimp it...tints, system, and some nice 17/18in wheels

posted by  newyorker

I hate loud music with a passion. I have a problem with my ear tubes that they fill with water they never adjusted from my younger stage like they were suppose to, so it hurts my head.
Second off I don't want to be a ricer and waste tons of money of worthless things such as window tint and shiny wheels.
I want performance!
P-E-R-F-O-R-M-A-N-C-E is all I care about.
let me repeat I aked about performance parts not stero system its my mony let me spend it how I wish if you don't know anything about performance parts or upgrades don't post here!
This is what I hate about this forum we never actualy answer the question asked.
I may be allowed to sell the taurus if I am im going to but a 91+thunderbird or crownvic.

posted by  Aondor

I hate loud music with a passion. I have a problem with my ear tubes that they fill with water they never adjusted from my younger stage like they were suppose to, so it hurts my head.
Second off I don't want to be a ricer and waste tons of money of worthless things such as window tint and shiny wheels.
I want performance!
P-E-R-F-O-R-M-A-N-C-E is all I care about.
let me repeat I aked about performance parts not stero system its my mony let me spend it how I wish if you don't know anything about performance parts or upgrades don't post here!
This is what I hate about this forum we never actualy answer the question asked.
I may be allowed to sell the taurus if I am im going to but a 91+thunderbird or crownvic.

posted by  Aondor

If you want performance sell the taurus, or supercharge it, or do the SHO swap.

posted by  newyorker

My bad on that one then. I was trying to offer an alternative.

It would take alot of work and most likely custom parts to make that car fast. And that would involve alot of money. If you want something faster for cheaper get a 94-97 accord or a mid 90's maxima or altima. You MIGHT be able to find a cheap 240sx or even your real lucky a 300zx in your price range if you sold the taurus

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

I like the 240sx but finding one in good shape seems hard. Im a huge fan of rwd cars. personal prefrence.
The taurus doesn't excite me but if im going to be stuck with it I want to make it as nice as possible besides working on your car is always a blast.
When it comes to imports what are some good sporty rwd I can pick up under 7k I am realy in love with 91=97 thunderbirds but I want to consider all my options

posted by  Aondor

Im sorry I kind of jumped on you guys that was a little out of place of me I apoligize:oops:

posted by  Aondor

sorry to say your not in a great situation, my best bet for some cheap fast

would be, (if you can) get some kind of universal turbo kit and up the boost
a bit. if its done right, you will have a fast taurus-dont see them everyday:thumbs:

posted by  nighthawk

You'd prob. be hard pressed to find a good aftermarket for it. You could make it fast but for the most part everything would most likely be custom.

posted by  TokyoJoe

I don't know how well the a V8 SHO engine will fit into the Gen IV Taurus (2000+). The latest SHO model was the 99, and the car was re-done in 2000/2001. It should be fairly similar, and if you're up to fabricating engine mounts in case they don't quite fit then all should be good. The easiest way to get your hands on an SHO would probably be to try to find one that's had the rear end smashed in. One that is in good shape can go for $8-10,000 or more (Canadian). If you try to go this route, look into getting the cams welded. That's a faulty part with the V8.

If you do want to try adapting SHO parts for your car, try to get as many that are in good shape as possible. The SHO has adaptive suspension, good 4 corner disk brakes...

posted by  crazy_pilot

By the way,

3.0 V6 DOHC = 200 HP
3.4 V8 SHO = 235 HP, with supercharger kits available.

posted by  crazy_pilot

No, the cams are not the "faulty part with the V8"...the faulty part is the owner who doesn't get the rockers adjusted at the recommended 60k mile intervals.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Did somebody say boost?

posted by  OombaIsBack

No the cams ARE a weak point with the SHO. Many people who follow the service intervals still end up with cam failure some even before 60k. Not getting the rockers adjusted may be a problem. But more than one cam has failed even with the adjustments.
Also if you did want to put a SHO motor in you may be able to do the 3.0 DOHC motors they are lighter and have comprable power 220 and there are more mods for it as there are quite a bit more V6 SHO's out there than there are V8's.

BTW The V6 motors were done completely by yamaha where as the V8's were of a Yamaha design but built by Ford

posted by  skeetin870

SUPERCHARGER or SHO swap

posted by  newyorker

thanks guys.

posted by  Aondor

i personally dont think the 3L DOHC tarus is that slow, my mom dives a 99 with the 3L Duratec and ive had it to 130mph. :mrgreen: :2cents:
check out jegs.com or other performance site, they've got stuff for every car, you just gotta find it. If you decide to supercharge, look into Procharger systems, there realy great for mid>high rpm range. :2cents:

posted by  davsmitty

Your Message