A question for newyorker.....(dont laugh)

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  A question for newyorker.....(dont laugh)

Well, not just newyorker, anyone who can help really, but I feel newyorker will be first to reply...maybe lol.Okay, I was just playing GT4 in 2player mode with a mate, and I thought hey, what the heck, I'll give the old SRT-4 a thrashing 'round Trial Mountain (the best courxse in my opinion!), and I was shocked to say the least, at the handling. It was one of the best FWD's I've put to that course! Jaymo (One of CF's n00bs....introduced by me lol) was in an Alfa 156GTA I believe, and the Chrysler/Dodge thrashed him!

The Dodgy oversteers beautifully. Only second to the Diesel Focus we have at work. I just wondered if your trusty 2.0litre was this good 'round the bends lol.....I must say though, my views on the otherwise extreamly bland Neon, have changed slightly....unless the SRT is actually crap and so is GT4 lol. I wouldn't mind hearing from somebody who's driven one, too!

posted by  Cliffy

heh, well the srt-4 is really a completely different animal then the so-called bland neons. i havn't done much with the srt-4 in gt4 other then get it up to like 248mph... :mrgreen:

maybe later i'll tune it back down and see how it compares to my R/T... though i havn't autocrossed or anything and actually pushed it to the limits like i would a srt-4 in gt4...

posted by  pik_d

lol...Bear in mind also, that I'm talking about a stock SRT-4....No extras on this one lol

posted by  Cliffy

I don't have GT4, but I do have Forza, and surprisingly, I've never tested the SRT-4 (never knew there was one lol)...but I'll try it out, and see how if she does just as good there :mrgreen:

posted by  chris_knows

I just played it, and wow, she handles pretty good...I raced her, and then raced a 2002 Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec, on the Laguna Seca, and surprisingly, the SRT was just 2-6 seconds slower than the Nissan (I made 5 laps in each, and took the best numbers for each car), so definitely impressive results, something that Top Gear should test for accuracy :laughing:

BTW The best time I got for the Dodge was 1:57 :smoke: lol

posted by  chris_knows

How many cars do you think NewYorker has actually Driven?

Reminds me of a kid telling me that his dad's camry was sooooooo stupidly fast, because it was the fastest car he's ever driven.

posted by  Godlaus

Heh... I haven't touched GT4 in a long time. I got to like 30% and stopped playing and I was about to start again. Since this thread came up it reminded me and I think I will dig my PS2 out of the closet.

I will let you know how that goes if I bother to test the srt-4.

posted by  Benson

Just the one.....hence why I asked how he car handles....I know he's never driven an SRT lol...Infact, the title was only as it was because newyorker is CF's resident Neon freak lol. I think we put the poor kid down far too much lol

See what I mean? lol....I had her sideways ALOT...I'm gonna stick it on Laguna Seca now and see if I can beat you lol...cant be that much difference in the mapping, can there?

posted by  Cliffy

God....We're such a video game generation........

posted by  Godlaus

Same here lol, she'd kick out of the turns nicely too...well I'm off to play some more :laughing:

I blame the government :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Oh...and the Traction Control etc stays OFF as far as I'm concerned lol

posted by  Cliffy

Great. Now you're gonna give him an unreliable reason to think the SRT4 is the best car in the world.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Hey, most people base real life on video games these days anyway lol.

btw, Chris....I done it in 1'53.574.....Have to allow for the track mapping though I guess lol...that was on my first attempt, too lol

posted by  Cliffy

hmm... no mods what-so-ever? and all driving aid's turned off? i may need to get a new srt-4, since i've probably done some weight reduction to the one i already have in gt4, and you can't undo that... :ohcrap:

i'll see what i can do. :mrgreen:

EDIT: cliffy, did you get an oil change, change tires, or anything else?

posted by  pik_d

No, I done it in Arcade mode...Time trial!...that's probably where I beat Chris....coz ya get a rolling start in GT4...Dunno about Forza!

posted by  Cliffy

Yeah, did you see that Top Gear episode where Jeromy raced an NSX on the Laguna Seca on GT4, and then in real life to see how accurate it was? Not very accurate, but still fun to watch lol...

Just gave it a shot again, this time with good music lol, do you do it with auto or stick?...With standard I can't beat 1'55:775 lol

posted by  chris_knows

oh. arcade mode... i just pulled a 1:51.336 in gran turismo mode on my 1st lap... i'll go give it a go in arcade mode now. :smoke:

posted by  pik_d

No, I go to Free Drive, where you can do as many laps as you want in any car, so I had a rolling start for the above time lol...

posted by  chris_knows

Yes I saw that one lol...it was great hehe

I always use a stick....even back in the day when GT1 was released lol

posted by  Cliffy

Does third go all the way up to 90-something mph?...It seems a bit high...

posted by  chris_knows

I honestly dont remember.....I do remember that it's ratio's were extreamly close though...a six speed too?.....It redlined quite low at about 6500?...I've switched off the PS2 now so I'm trying to remember lol

btw....90mph aint particularly high for third...I had 70mph in second out of my old Corolla lol

posted by  Cliffy

1:49.319 with the manual in time trial mode. :thumbs:

and i took the srt-4 to the test ring, and it bounces off the rev-limiter at 80mph in 3rd gear, 110 in 4th, and in 5th gear seems drag limited at 146mph, as it doesnt bounce, but it get's really really close to where it would bounce.

posted by  pik_d

On Laguna Seca?

posted by  Cliffy

Really?...I always thought 70 was high for third...but then again I don't drive stick, that is to say, at all lol :ohcrap:...Yeah, mine revs to 6,500, but I'll shift closer to 6, because at 6.5K the needle's jumping around like crazy lol...Only 5 speed for me.

posted by  chris_knows

yep. also it hits 80mph in 3rd and bounces back. and CK, it'll rev to 6.9-7k in gt4, but i shift between 6-6.5k. not really sure where the "sweet spot" is...

posted by  pik_d

Probably is a five speed then....just wasn't certain!......70mph is quite high for normal driving, but not under racing conditions!

posted by  Cliffy

yea, it is a 5-speed. i edited my post a few up. took it to the test track, hit 80mph in 3rd, 110mph in 4th, and it maxed out at 146mph in 5th.

posted by  pik_d

Quite a nippy little car then really!...I mean, you expect a car with that much power going through the front wheels to suffer Torque Steer...atleast a little bit lol. I suppose it's not so bad given that there's no Turbo etc.....Hey, funny how hewyorker hasn't posted yet lol...Obviously hasn't seen the full title!:ohcrap:

Edit: might aswell say top speed is 146mph then? as it's that close it makes no difference!

posted by  Cliffy

whatcha mean no turbo? of course the srt-4 is a turbo. how else is a 2.4L I4 gonna make 250lb-ft of torque?

and yea... i could never get the tyres to not squeel out of the last turn.. ya know.. the one that's quite nearly turning completely around before the straight that the finish line is on. fun stuff.

posted by  pik_d

lol....now I feel silly hehehe

*in an attempt to get out of it* I hadn't looked at the Torque figures lol

posted by  Cliffy

I'm taking the Nurburgring...the whole track (13.04 miles) lol, and it took me:

11'22:324 lol...what's odd is the gear ratios, it goes to 142 in 4th, then 150 in 5th...I was hoping like 160 at least lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Is that stock?

posted by  Cliffy

shesh... with all of newyorkers clamorings over this car, you'd think everyone would know all about it... :doh:

posted by  pik_d

It's not that I didn't know about it....more that I didn't think about it and just kinda assumed it was N/A...:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Yeah, you can't modify them in Free Runs lol...I'm giving it another go in a minute, but pretending to speed down a track is damn tiring :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

hmm.. 13.04 miles? it says 12.94 miles in gt4. either way, 11minutes is WAY to much time for an srt-4... i got 8:46.xxx. then again... i've done tons of laps around the ring in gt4, so i know it well. :wink2:

posted by  pik_d

does gt4 have like those 4 hour races and such like gt3. I finished them all, but omg was it boring as hell, I had to tie a rubber band to the accelerate button so my finger wouldn't hurt. At one of the races it wasn't going all out so when I realized it the second place guy was like 30 seconds behind me and gaining...good thing it was at the end of the race.

posted by  salimander13

yea... and then some. there's three 24hour races :ohcrap:

BUT, it also has b-spec, which means you can let the game drive for you. so it's a fair trade in my book.

posted by  pik_d

I've heard Forza has those, but I haven't gotten that far yet, and don't want to lol :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

they're not so bad... just pick a car, set it to b-spec, and go to bed. :mrgreen:

posted by  pik_d

does it drive competetivly or just cruise around the track at a moderate pace.

posted by  salimander13

there's 5 speeds that you can set it to, from "let everyone pass you" to "go so fast you run off the road at certain turns". :mrgreen:

posted by  pik_d

I just tried again in the SRT, and can't get it under 10'57...I'll practice in an AWD for a while first lol...

posted by  chris_knows

how many times do ya run off the road?

and can you count the number of times you've lapped the nurburgring on one hand?

posted by  pik_d

LOL...about 20 times I'll run off the track :laughing: :ohcrap:...and I used to play this all the time, but I haven't been on the Nurburgring for 4+ months, so today's the only day I've done it recently lol, but I'll practice, and I'll own all of you by the weekend :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

haha... you've got about 2minutes worth of time to make up. i'll be waiting. :thumbs:

posted by  pik_d

WTF?!?!?!?!....I just did it in a Pagani Zonda, and it took me 11 minutes even!!!:banghead:

It's terrible without TCS, ABS, and STC lol...

posted by  chris_knows

"power is nothing without control"

i'd suggest taking a 330i to the track, or maybe an s2000... learn the track on something less powerful, then step it up a bit.

posted by  pik_d

I tried it with the S2000, and decided first to get used to the track I'd turn on all the handling controls, and it still did pretty bad lol, and since the Bimmer wasn't there, I went down to a Miata, which took me 13:03, but mainly because it was slower, I definitely stayed on the track more with it, so I'll start off with cars that have little power, and are pretty small, to grasp it before moving up lol...

posted by  chris_knows

To answer Cliffy's question....

The 05 SX 2.0 I have is a spirited little mother****er. Has a case of understeer more then oversteer from what I can tell, but that can be fixed easily enough. Acceleration is good for a 2.0L stock. Gear ratios..ehhh a little to be desired. But if you drive it right....it can get fun. A little bit of torque steer..but easily managable. A few simple suspension upgrades and adjustments and I think it would be a lot better handling of a car.

I would have traded it off on an 04 SRT-4 a month ago...but the SRT-4 was gone before I even got to test drive it :(

Still keeping my eyes open, I might go that route or stealth out my SX 2.0.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Thanx for the input!

pik, I've driven both the 330i and a '98 M-coupe with about 500bhp around the Nurburgring and both are great cars....neither of them really wanted to kick out at the corners either....even with the driving aids off!

posted by  Cliffy

I think everybody has posted in this thread except for the person for which it was intended.

posted by  PontiacFan27

hahaha, i took his spot.

posted by  dodgerforlife

gt4 and forza are worthless the driving physics on powerful rwd cars are way out of proportion and horrible

posted by  Aondor

It may be unrealistic, but they're still the most realistic games available, where you can pick anything from base models to exotics...

posted by  chris_knows

And I bet you've driven sooo many TVR's, Aston's, Zonda's and Viper's lol.

Chris is right, they're two of the most realistic racing games availbale at the moment...even if the lack of reverse lights in GT4 drives me mad every time!.....

posted by  Cliffy

duuuuude..you shouldn't need to use reverse ;)

posted by  dodgerforlife

lol.......I know, but it's nice to have the relevent luminations regardless :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Wow im late with this thread. Never drove the srt-4. My Neon is nice around turns. If some cars (nissan and his friends maxima) have more straight line speed than me, I certainly get them in the corners. I like it its fun to drive. With some suspention work front and rear strut bars, it should be fun.

posted by  newyorker

Your Message