Chevrolet Equinox Questions.

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Chevrolet Equinox Questions.

Greetings,

This is my first posting, and I'm just looking for some different opinions on the Chevy Equinox from people who probably know more about cars than I do. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if anyone has any positive or negative things to say about the Equinox. More specifically, I have heard that the Equinox engine is made in Japan (or something), and I'm wondering two things: 1) is this true; and 2) is this a bad thing?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Cheers.

posted by  MrM.

The engine is made in China, which isn't too odd...there's lots of domestic cars made in Asia/Mexico, but they're pretty reliable, here's a reliability rating:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/chevrolet_equinox_ls2wd_2005/14697/style_rel iability.html

According to JD Power it's the Most Appealing Entry SUV, and I personally like the styling, although the interior isn't as good as it could be IMO :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

I personally dont find the Equinox very appealing. I'd get the CRV or RAV4 before I'd buy the Equinox. Both are better small SUV's.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Of course, because they are japanese.

posted by  PontiacFan27

No, because they are all around better small SUV's IMO.

i'd have to agree that the equinox isn't as good of a contender as it could be... its gas mileage isn't up to par, and it's underpowered for the engine it has.

maybe a ford escape/mazda tribute? i believe the CEO of ford drives an escape (the hybrid, at that). that's gotta say somethin for it.:wink2:

posted by  pik_d

What engine does the Equinox have. The same inline six the Trailblazer has?

posted by  Enthusiast

No, if it did have that, that would be nice...but it doesn't.

It has a 3.4L OHV V6 producing 185h/210tq. I dont know why GM used this engine...but they did.

Dp!!!

Damn that sounds week as hell

posted by  Enthusiast

Not bad, but it can hit 0-60 in 8.8 seconds...But it could be better :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

Yeah, other V6 competitors kill it (268hp 3.5L RAV4).

Even 2.4L I4 CRV feels quicker.

Plus a base CRV is cheaper, the only thing better about the Equinox is you get the V6 over the CRV's I4...but other than that, it doesnt have an advantage. But even with the V6 and slightly more power it's just as fast as a CRV because it weighs about 300-400lbs more.

Well, about the only thing I know about the Equinox is what it looks like. Seeing as you asked for any opinions, I'll just say I think it's pretty dang ugly. The SS concept looked pretty good though, don't know what happened.

posted by  jedimario

Thanks for all the feedback. You are all making good points. One other question: do you think it's more reliable being a Chevy Truck as opposed to say a RAV4 or CRV? Also, what about repairs down the road? Wouldn't a RAV4 or CRV cost more to repair? Just curious.

posted by  MrM.

RAV 4 and CRV are both more reliable, according to track records.

Parts would be the same in price, or about the same.

again i bring up the ford escape... got a stronger V6 then the equinox, and it's a few 100lbs lighter. though it has a little less cargo space... dunno how necessary that is.

it's been out a few more years then the new RAV4 model (which is what people are reffering to here), and the equinox (which completely un-impresses me). you may want to look into that.

also, do you have a price range, or are you willing to just pay over time whatever the cost is?

so i'd say either the escape or the new rav4.

posted by  pik_d

I do have a price range, and that's one of the things that attracted me to the Equinox. I have mixed feelings about Ford cars in general, and that's one of the reasons that I haven't really looked at the Escape. Also, I do need the cargo space, and that's one of the things turning me off about the RAV4 and CRV is that the back doors open like a side door. That is, if I am transferring lumber, for example, and I need to leave the back open, that might be a pain with the RAV4 or CRV. Any suggestions or thoughts? I'm not sure how much less space the Escape has, but in the end, I don't know how much I trust Ford.

posted by  MrM.

if you're hauling lumber, why not get a real truck? the nissan frontier (crew cab if you want to have the ability to cart people around too) comes to mind. the gmc canyon slt crew cab also comes to mind. same benefit of two "real" doors on a pickup, and the slt comes with the 220hp I5, not the weaker I4. both of these trucks are less expensvie (MSRP) then the equinox.

posted by  pik_d

That seems like a good suggestion, and I checked it out online. The only problem is that I sort of need the vehicle to be versaitle (i.e. haul lumber, but also haul kids in a car seat). After looking at the Frontier, the back doesn't seem that large. You are making good points about the Equinox though. I'm not sure if anyone knows whether or not you can get the RAV4 with a rear door like the Equinox (i.e. it opens up, rather than out like a side door)? Just curious.

posted by  MrM.

well in that case, take your kids' car seat to a nissan dealership, or any dealership with a crew cab frontier on the lot, and see if it fits in the back seat. :wink2:

posted by  pik_d

The previous generation of Frontier Crew Cabs had small rear seats. The new 05/06 models have much larger back seats, I fit fine and I'm very tall.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/05frontier_9.jpg

That's the back of the new crew cab.

Well, after all these questions and answers, I went to check out the Equinox and man, was I dissapointed. You can't fit anything in the back. You might as well buy a hatchback of somesort. Well, now I'm looking at new options. Since some of you seem to be fans of the Nissan Frontier, tell me a bit more about it. How's it on gas? What about maintenence? Is it expensive? Reliable? Just curious yet again.

Cheers.

posted by  MrM.

gas mileage... it's got a 4.0L V6 making 265hp, it's gas mileage isn't too good at all. probably average of a in the high teen's for mpg.

the SE crew cab starts at $20k, but it lacks in some of the things like power door locks, power windows, and has a manual transmission (automatic will cost extra). the LE starts at $24k, but has all those extra's (including auto). you'd probably want the LE.

also, doing some searching, go here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000066HRQ/102-6344243-16281 01?v=glance). it's an amazon.com review of a carseat, specifically saying that they have 2 carseats in a frontier crew cab. so it sounds like they fit. but i would STILL recommend testing it yourself at a dealership.

maintenence and reliability i dont know, but giving a breif look at one of the other forums i'm at, it doesn't look to bad, except a few random rattles that dont actually mean anything's wrong. :screwy:

now, the only concern i have is that on the crew cab models, the trucks bed is shortened, and there's no longbed crew cab for the newer models, and pre-05 is a different generation, probably with a smaller cab, and i know it last less power.

so, i'd say the OTHER good option is the toyota tacoma double cab V6 longbed.

if a truck (with four FULL doors) is what you need, these two trucks are what i'd suggest for this size range. you want anything bigger, of course it'll be more expensive.

posted by  pik_d

The SE Crew Cab bases at $20,950. With the automatic tranny option and Power PAckage option the total price comes to $23,755 with destination. You could probably offer $20,500-$21,000 and get away with that. MY friend who bought a 05 King Cab Frontier LE 4x4 got his for $3,700 under msrp.

I actually like the Frontier better simply because as my friend and I found out it has more room on the inside than the Tacoma. And obviously the Tacoma is the closest competitor to the Frontier. For a family I'd definatley get the Crew Cab Frontier over the Double Cab Tacoma.

yea, from what i saw, the frontier has about an inch more legroom for both the front and rear seats.

posted by  pik_d

Your Message