Pick Up Truck Comparison

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Pick Up Truck Comparison

I'm looking at some pick up trucks, and wondering if anyone has any feedback. The 5 that I have in mind are:

1. Chevy Colorado
2. Chevy Silverado
3. GMC Sierra
4. GMC Canyon
5. Nissan Frontier

Any thoughts or comments on any of these trucks would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at the Crew Cab model and wondering about things like maintenence, gas, and reliability.

Cheers.

posted by  MrM.

These trucks are all very different, what are you looking for? You went from SUV's to trucks, chances are the GMC Sierra and Colorado (BOTH about the SAME vehicle) won't have the space you are looking for. I know you are biased AGAINST Ford, but my dad had no Biases until owning his 01 F-250 and Chevy 2500HD and now wouldn't buy another chevy. If you can explain in more detail what you are looking for/want and try to open up your options because there may be better ones out there, a F-150 Crew Cab might be just what you want.

posted by  Pythias

One of the reasons I went from SUV to Pick Up is I realized that when I am transporting large items (i.e. lumber or drywall), I will always have to be exceedingly careful loading them into an SUV so I don't damage the plastic sides. I figured a Pick Up would eliminate some of those problems as laying lumber and drywall in the bed of the truck would be easy enough. I do, however, have to consider the inside space. My wife and I are hoping to start a family soon, which means car seats. Thus, the truck would probably need to be at least a crew cab so that we can fit a car seat back there comfortably, and fit some people back there too.

Hopefully this helps to clarify what I'm looking for. In terms of my Ford bias, it's just that I've had bad luck with Fords in the past, as has most of my family. I think the F150 is a beautiful truck, I'm just worried about reliability.

Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to hearing some more.

Cheers.

posted by  MrM.

gah post x2

posted by  Scolson

brand new trucks?

posted by  Scolson

Do you want a mid-size or full size?

You list 3 Mid-Size trucks then 2 full-size trucks.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Fixed it.

the F-150 crew cab might also be too expensive for what he want's to spend.

when he first came here, he asked about a car that MSRP's for 20k. a F-150 crew cab MSRP's for between $5k-10k more than that.

also, thunderchicken, you forgot to mention that the silverado and the sierra are the same too. you corrected it, but only on one way. :mrgreen:

i honestly say, if the bed is long enough for whatever he needs, the frontier is his best bet. if it's not, the tacoma is his best bet, as you can get the 4-door, extended bed in that (and pretty much other truck offers BOTH of those at once...)

posted by  pik_d

I believe the tacoma MSRPS for higher than a decent F-150 crew cab, also I don't think ther frontier would be big enough if you look at his last posts, I have seen many and ridden, and they are nothing to bragg about, of course they are mid-size but still for what he's looking for.

Also I wouldn't worry about the reliability of any of the newer vehicles -04' and up I haven't heard anything bad about reliability of Chevy or Fords ESPECIALLY since you aren't even going to be pulling anything with the vehicles. You may have had bad experiences in the past, but we should all try to not let that dictate things when it comes time to choose something. Also are you looking for a BRAND NEW model? such as 06'? Or would you buy something like an 03-05? Because you could assuredly get a nice F-150 Crew Cab prolly fully loaded in your price3 range of one of those years.

:2cents:

posted by  Pythias

Well, I've finally done the smart thing, and that is going to the dealerships to see the cars and test drive a few (also, I brought the wife with me as she will probably drive the car/truck too). The long and short of it is that we have narrowed it down (based on price, what we need, and what the wife wants) to the following:

Mazda Tribute

Chevy Colorado

Saturn VUE

I could go into all the details and tell you how we came to these decisions, but that would be boring. Anyhow, any thoughts on these? In the end, we are probably going to get one of them, but since your posts have been very educational up to this point, I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback on these three cars.

Cheers.

posted by  MrM.

which trim levels of the tribute and the vue? the 4-cylinder, or 6-cylinder models?

and are you sure that they'll have enough room in the trunk to carry everything you need to haul around? in the last thread, you mentioned lumber, which i dont see as being good for anything but a larger SUV, or a pick-up truck... but that's just me, if you can fit it in the tribute or VUE, it'll do fine i suppose.

the colorado/canyon doesn't particularly get great reviews compared to other small pickups. but it's not because it's bad, it's jus that it's not as good as others in a few respects (noteably the I5 engine isn't as powerful as V6's in other small pickups.)

the mazda is the same basicly as the ford escape, i dont know of any problems with it, i'm just concerned that it wont have enough space to haul stuff around the way you may need.

the VUE gets the best gas mileage (but only barely), yet has the strongest engine. i dont know much more about it, but i havn't heard anything bad about it.

i dont think you can really go wrong with any of the three, so long as it'll carry everything you want it to.

posted by  pik_d

id go with a any of the four GM's:2cents:

I like the way the canyon/colorado arent very big and inline 5 has decent power

I just like the looks of the full sizers, the the 06(07?) ones are gonna have
6.0 liter big power, 345hp, 390lb ft:drool:

and out of the newer list, tribute or colorado,
Ive been in a brand new tribute and it was all leather, very nice

posted by  nighthawk

I didnt mention anything, he only said the sierra = colorado, I corrected it and said the Canyon = Colorado in his post...it could of gone either way. I could of said Sierra = Silverado, but I just chose the other way. I wasn't going to add anything, just delete and put in one word:thumbs:

that was kinda my point... :screwy:

posted by  pik_d

For both the VUE and the Tribute, we're looking at the V6 as it just has more power. I was really impressed with the VUE's power (the Honda engine). In terms of hauling stuff around, it's probably not as good as a big pick-up, but it'll probably handle most of the jobs that I need it for (far better than the original thought of the Equinox).

One thing that worried me (I'm not sure if it should or not) is that Mazda really seems to want to get rid of the Tribute (by offering things like 0% financing) as they are not going to make this model anymore. Is this something to be concerned with (i.e. is it dated in any way that should raise concern) or are they just coming out with something new? Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Cheers.

posted by  MrM.

hmm, well so far as the VUE, those jobs that it wont handle, what will you use to handle them? if you have a good backup plan, then go for it.

posted by  pik_d

And my roundabout way of acknowledging it:thumbs:

Your Message