94 Geo Tracker

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  94 Geo Tracker

Howdy,
As you can see I am new to this particular forum. I am looking for help with improving my 94 tracker.
First question: I have a 17' Coleman canoe that I want to carry on this tracker. It has a fiberglass after-market hard top so it will not support all the weight of the canoe. I was wondering if anyone knows of an after-market canoe carrier that will support the weight without resting on the fiberglass top?
Second question:
I would like to upgrade the tires with a more agressive off-road tread, but the stock size P205/74R15 do not offer much in the way of agressive tread. What is the best size / style / brand of tire that will "fit" the stock suspension and not stick out too far past the fenders. I know that there are many that have upgraded tires so am courious as to what you have done.

Thanks in advance.

posted by  Beast Master

1. You really only have two options for your canoe, and only one of those is logical. To carry it on your vehicle, you'll need to fabricate a carrier that attaches lower on the body so as not to depend on the strength of the roof. This will be somewhat complicated, maybe expensive and inconvenient to install and remove. The better way to go can be summed up in one word... Trailer.

2. About the most aggressive tread you'll find in a 205/75-15 is the Uniroyal Liberator, oddly enough available at your local Wal-Mart and as I can tell you from personal experience, not a bad tire.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/08/66/99/80/0008669980957_500X500.jpg

If you need a more aggressive tread pattern than that, you're going to have to move up to a 215/75-15 where you have a vastly better selection. The problem here is not being able to physically fit the tire in place, because there is plenty of room and the tire is only about .6" taller and .4" wider, the problem is gear ratio. If you haven't noticed by now, your Tracker is not exactly overpowered. On the highway and in town the additional size probably won't be an issue, but off road you might find out you've lose some climbing ability. Also you're looking at an effectively higher gear ratio AND the additional weight and drag of your canoe.

Based on what you want to do, you might be better off to trade the Tracker for something more suited to your purposes.

posted by  vwhobo

:clap: :laughing:

posted by  jedimario

You're welcome jerkoff. :fu:

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message