1990 pontiac 6000 no power

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1990 pontiac 6000 no power

Hello,
Bought this car for my daughter. I am having trouble with loss of power. Car has no power to go up hills and will stall out, on flat roads it will slowly get to 60 mph no matter how much you push on the gas pedal. 60 is the top speed at 5 miles on level road.

I changed the plugs, wires, air filter and fuel filter. I checked all 4 cyl. for compression and all are about 130-140.

In park car will idle fine but when put in gear (forward or reverse)the idle drops. When in park pressing the gas the engine revs but when in gear you can push the pedal to the floor and it slowly builds up speed.

The exhaust has 2 holes in it where the hangars are.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

posted by  mgdobrich

Uh, yeah. Start out by reading this;

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200

and then interogate the ECM for DTC's. Report back with your findings.

posted by  vwhobo

1990 pontiac 6000 LE with automatic transmission

posted by  mgdobrich

Check for codes.

That compression is really low. I dont know what the compression should be on that car, but when I checked mine it was 200 on all 6 cylinders.

posted by  OombaIsBack

per a GM mechanic (over the phone) compression should be around 120 +/- 7%

Thanks

posted by  mgdobrich

Looks like it may be the catalytic converter. Will do more checking and post results.

posted by  mgdobrich

Only a certified idiot would say something like that. "That compression is really low" followed by "I don’t know what the compression should be on that car". If you don't know what the compression should be, how can you make the statement that it's low? Why do you find it necessary to continually add you two cents worth when you don't even have a penny. I don't know why you were banned from this forum the first time, but you should be banned now for excessive display of stupidity.

Stop stabbing in the dark like the idiot above and provides DTC's as requested.

posted by  vwhobo

REPLY TO VWHOBO Anal Orifice; You are the man. You are the first person to attack a new user. This is your site. You sit at your computer and wait for some one to post something so you can tear it and them apart. You (the anal orifice) must be a god on this website.

What does anal orifice stand for? Is it that as you sit in your rundown motel room that you rent by the week, waiting on your welfare or ssi check, you actually have your head in your anal orifice? Take your head out of your anal opening and go find a woman!

I can only sit here and wonder what it must be like to be you. I'll give it a shot:
1) unemployed
2) old
3) bald
4) short
5) fat
6) poor
7) single
8) no children
9) smelly
10) never receives a single christmas card
11) this list could go on forever

After you left the first post i tried to ignore you while you attacked your next target ( another newbie) but i see you couldn't stand not attacking me further. When i finish this post i won't return to see what you posted about me, that will be my satisfaction. So go ahead and get back to the Texans, Blacks and whoever else you feel necessary to make fun of today, just remember tomorrow instead of taking a bath or shower hurry up and get back to this site and make fun of someone else because they really enjoy your ignorance.

Maybe every user should put anal orifice in their description just like you, because when no one can see you, you are a badass.

I wonder if you were face to face with me what would come out of you mouth other than that anal smell you so proudly worship.

posted by  mgdobrich

I had the car. How many miles....check the tranny fluid...

posted by  newyorker

I'm used to the compression on Probes/MX6s and DSMs. Its alot lower than what normal is for those cars. I wasn't sure if normal compression was around the same for that car or not, so I said that in order to get him to compare it to what normal for that specific car is. I think maybe you should pull your head out of your ass, because its very obvious that you're a ****ing idiot who doesn't know jack shit about anything.

posted by  OombaIsBack

I just cant agree that he dosent know about anything. while he is an ass ( :joking: ) hes a very knowlegable ass.

posted by  davsmitty

Do you want help or not sh*t for brains?

posted by  Pythias

That's what I was wondering. Just for fun;

It sounds like you're projecting your pathetic life on to me. Let's see what my world is like;

1. Retired from first career, owns multiple businesses
2. Young middle aged
3. Full bushy head of hair with a pony tail
4. 6'1"
5. 180-185 depending on dinner
6. Top 15% US income earner, lives on military retirement, invests the rest
7. Very happily married to a beautiful woman
8. One son, one stepson, one grandson
9. Just farted
10. Correct, I recieve multiple Christmas cards

You couldn't have been more wrong if you tried. So where are all the do-gooders, pointing out the forum rules when someone does this to me? Someone should call for a ban. Just kidding, because I don't give a f*ck about this dildo. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

What branch Hobo?
well top 15% just means you earn over 90k a year.
Look everyone over reacts to you and I am not sure why. You tend to be a tad of an ass but you actualy try to help people. I think 85% of the time you a cool guy and 15% of the time you make me hate Vw :ohcrap:

posted by  Aondor

well, with a reply like that, no one is going to help you. if you opened your eyes, you would have realized that he (vwhobo) was trying to help you. he was trying to ask you for the vehicle codes, but in the words of a tech. you should know at least a liitle about cars before you come on here, throwing blind stabs, hoping someone will tell you that you are right.

posted by  glagon1979

Your Message