1994 formula i dont know where to start

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1994 formula i dont know where to start

I have a Stock 1994 firebird formula 6 speed just turned 100K I need performance but i dont know where to start. I herd altering anything on this engine is hard due to the computer. What do i do. I would love for my car to run a low 12 high 11. And please be nice about it.

posted by  83transam

11's or 12's?

2 words for you

super-charger:laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

I would really like to do that, but there is alot of other stuff that has to be replaced and i have no clue what, and how. pluss the big $ factor and also how would the computer mix with that.

posted by  83transam

How do you know stuff has to be replaced if you dont know what it is?

If you want speed, you have to spend money. Plain and simple no ways around it. Start with exhaust and fuel delivery, then supercharge.

posted by  OombaIsBack

i just know that a stock engine cant handel a big change in power like that, like i know you can put nos on a stock engine but it will probly only last 1 shot and the engine will be toast. I know i gotta spend money but a super charger is like 2500 plus install and other parts. - or at least i think....am i worng? because if a supercharger is all i need and that will do it than thats what i want.

for exhast i was wanting headers and put duals on it with borla. and cutouts right after the headers. will that work with the computer sensers.

What do i need for fuel delevery?

posted by  83transam

First of all it's "Nitrous Oxide", NOS is a company that makes it. Fuel delivery, like a bigger fuel pump and bigger fuel injectors...Superchargers are generally around +$2,000.

posted by  chris_knows

i know its nitrous oxide i just dont want to type that every time i talk about it and would rather use a shorter term that everyone understands.

how big of a fuel pump and how big of injectors do you think would work best?

posted by  83transam

A nice set of cylinder heads and a good intake system would be a good place to start.

posted by  SlipKnoT

that and a camshaft

posted by  glagon1979

Your engine can handle 8 psi as it is just fine.

posted by  OombaIsBack

that's kind of funny, i could probably toss a good 100 shot of Nitrous at my car before it complains. Hell, the 420a block can withstand 330 hp before I need to really worry. That would mean I could almost toss a 200 shot at it ;)

However I wouldn't do that without other engine work.

Anyways, start with the basics, exhaust system, intake system, and fuel delivery system.

posted by  dodgerforlife

if you dont mind me asking?
what engine/car are you referring to?

posted by  nighthawk

I was going to post more, then realized that i have no information to back up my ideas so...>Jeggs.com< Holley makes exhaust system components (Flowtec line) its pretty cheap stuff and will generaly last a long while.
ATI Procharger is a company that specializes in centrifugal blowers, they're products are pricey, but well worth it (highly efficient blowers w/intercoolers).

Remember...SPEED=MONEY. and be sure to get better tires too.

posted by  davsmitty

hehe, i did mention the 420A block, that should narrow it down a bit haha

anyways, my car is an 2005 Dodge SX 2.0

posted by  dodgerforlife

I like the idea of cylinder heads and a cam and intake and exhaust before i start with superchargers. I also was wondering about getting it stroked. im not to sure how this works yet i think i put a 400 crank in it. (i didnt mean that i did this i just mean i think thats how it would work)

Im just not a big fan of nitrous. plus with my engine with 100K miles on it i think it would go KABOOM!! than VROOM!:laughing:

I really need some good tires to i just peal out when i take off and always get beat off the line even when im not trying to peal out. i think this is because im not a real great driver and still trying to perfect my clutching.

If you mind me asking what is the 420a block? is it just a 420ci?

posted by  83transam

A 400 crank into an LS1? Are you sure about that?

posted by  vwhobo

LT1 but no im not sure thats why i mentioned it to see if someone might correct me if i was wrong but i thought a 400 crank in a 350 would make a 383.

posted by  83transam

An LS1 is a different block than an Gen1 350. I won't say for sure that it won't fit, but... I've never done it and don't know anyone who has. I can assure you it's not a drop in.

posted by  vwhobo

yeah i figured it would be a pain in the butt. is the Lt1 diffrent from the Ls1?

posted by  83transam

Yes, it's like a Gen1.5 block. That you can dump a 400 crank into. BTW, I forgot to correct you earlier. A 383 is a .030" over 350 block with a 400 crank. 4.030" bore x 3.750" stroke, and the rod and main journals have to be cut down to 350 size.

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah thats the kinda help im looking for thanks! My firebird does have an LT1 in it to not an LS1

posted by  83transam

Ok so after the help i think i have found out what to do and someone tell me if this set up will work or if i messed something up. K&N CIA, Larger fuel pump, and fuel injectors. Bore 30 over, 400 crank, 4.3 cam. double valve springs. headers with cutouts right after the headers with two in dual exhaust and glass packs. And computer MOD so it will run right. Good tires. Will that work or do i need to change something? And show enough power difference, if all that doesnt show enough then a SC will be next

posted by  83transam

4.3 cam?????????? be more specific.

posted by  glagon1979

with all that, a 2" exhaust will be kinda restricive, wont it? since you seem to be building it for street/strip, I'd get headers w/ 3" collectors and cutouts the same, then 2.5" plumbing for the muffler system (also, get good mufflers, glass packs will sound like crap after a few years, you can get Flowmasters or Magnaflows anywhere for a constant price). Oh, and spend the money early and get the copper header/collector gaskets.

posted by  davsmitty

And an intake Manifold.

posted by  Pythias

Ok im way farther along now than i was before thanks everyone!

posted by  83transam

Your Message