Dodge Caliber

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Dodge Caliber

So there are on the lots now. What do you all think of them? I was never a huge fan of the neon but I like the look of the caliber and the specs for some of the SXT and R/T units can get pretty nice for the price.

And the fairy commercial is pretty funny, some of the better dodge ads I have seen lately.

posted by  boothe

I think it looks pretty good, but from what I understood, it's pretty heavy, so it'll probably be pretty slow, but overall I like it, for a teen, it's a good car :2cents:

BTW Does newyorker have to change his avatar to "Neon, SRT-4 & Caliber Nut" now? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

In my opinion, it's not as good as the Neon it replaces.

That's just my opinion though, I don't think it's a bad car or anything.

posted by  hondaman

MEh, it's not something I'd ever buy. There are better and sportier hatches out there for the price, see: Matrix XRS.

It's a little heavy and I cant quite figure out if it wants to be a tall wagon or a short SUV.

The 1.8 engine makes no sense for the size IMO (curbing just over 3000lbs).

2.0L is the first engine choice that makes sense.

It gets pretty poor gas mileage though.

I dont quite understand Dodge's reasoning for introducing such a large vehicle that gets poor mileage in wake of all the sub-compacts that are hitting the market (Versa, Fit, Yaris). I noticed in C & D they threw the base 1.8 Caliber in there with sub-compacts and it placed 6th out of 7th.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I like it. I definately think that it is a good replacement for the Neon, but I just dont know if a hatchback will do well in that segment (lots of people are worried about this in fact because of size, fuel econ, etc). I am certainly looking forward to the SRT, the reviews and pictures that I have seen seem to be pretty good so far. I mean, it has 300hp and its fairly cheap; it should be fairly fast. I just hope that it isnt plagued by reliabilty issues, but this should be limited (at least in the engine department) because of the engine coalition that Dodge entered in with some other automakers leading to more testing and more people working on it. Lately DaimlerChrysler has been having some great luck with its products and has been turning out some great things; hopefully the public will give this new Dodge the same interest it has given thier other cars lately.

posted by  StiMan

I didn't know THAT was replacing the Neon. It doesn't even look like a car for God's sake!

posted by  Scolson

I always buy a new car based on the entertainment factor of the commercial. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

It's ugly as sin. Looks like an SUV trying to be a hatchback.

posted by  OombaIsBack

You'd like it better if it came in pink. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

Ha you can tear anyone down, anytime. Very entertaining.

posted by  Scolson

Cant stand it. Not a worthy competitor for its predecessor, and im sure itl be slower than the SRT-4. Its a poor excuse for a hatchback/minivan/SUV/car/whatever they want it to be. Looks like a damn bulldog to be honest with you

posted by  newyorker

Wow, I actually I agree with you. I saw one today, for the first time. It just looks like the designers haven't got a clue! It doesn't flow nicely, the back end sticks out, its like a foot off the ground, yet it looks like a wagon arching its back. Its hideous. An entry level car can look nice, this one doesn't even come close. The Matrix and Vibe are much nicer cars.

posted by  Mathew

I think its definitely going more for the hatchback look.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/cmsimages/Dodge_Caliber_400_Geneva.jpg

I think the Matrix XRS is downright ugly.

What you think about the CVT2?

posted by  boothe

Amen brother. Can't tell you all how much I freaking hate the Caliber ... but any of you that know me from dodgeforum.com already know that.

posted by  musclecarneon

Are you a f*cker loser wannabe over there too?

posted by  vwhobo

I think the Matrix XRS has way more "Style" to it than the Caliber.

Looking at that picture if you really didnt know what the vehicle was, people would seriously have a hard time figuring out if it was a small SUV, a crossover or a wagon. It's like it looks a little bit like all 3.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/images/03_matrix_xrs6.jpg
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/images/03_matrix_xrs_int1.jpg

That's an 03 Matrix XRS. I like it much better for this price range. But for a price step above it...I wouldn't think twice about getting one of these...

http://www.edmunds.com/media/news/column/letterstotheeditors/03.sept2/03.su baru.wrx.wagon.500.jpg
http://www.pegdrgr.com/old/images/WRX/WRX%20Wagon.JPG

I find it weird in the highest performing model of the Caliber (that's not the SRT4), the Caliber R/T 2.4 AWD, doesn't even offer a manual.

Well, it is definied as a mini-ute - being that its a small sport utility, so a cross between a car and SUV... dodge hasn't made a wagon in a long time, so that can kind of be taken out of the equation...

As for the manual....it does have the CVT2 system, and there is a possibility yet that the SRT version will have a MTX. CVT2 does behave somewhat like a manual however, with the AutoStick feature, which will simulate a six speed transmission, allowing you to control the shiftpoints ;)

posted by  dodgerforlife

What, you like he Caliber? Well i'm so sorry for offending you ... not.:fu: :fu: :fu: take a hint from the smily

posted by  musclecarneon

That would be because they are the same car. :thumbs:

I wouldnt mind a Honda Fit S or Toyota Yaris (they are in the same class as the Caliber... they were in the test that someone referenced in this thread).

posted by  StiMan

Um, Dodge made a wagon not too long ago...
http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/05.under.25k/05.dodge.magnum.500 .jpg
You Dodge folk don't like to call it a station wagon, but that's exactly what it is. A Hemi-Powered Station WAGON

As for the Caliber, It's Fugly :2cents: .

posted by  elchango36

The Fit, Yaris and Versa are subcompacts. The Caliber is not a subcompact (Weighing about 500-700lbs more). They just threw in the base Caliber in the C & D test because mainly the price was right up there with a loaded out Fit/Versa/Yaris.

The Caliber is in the same class as the Vibe/MAtrix.

Duh. :thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

oh shit son, i forgot about the magnum haha

posted by  dodgerforlife

How can you hate a car? Did it annally rape your greandmother?

it's just metal, plastic, rubber, glass and cloth. Not all of them appeal to everyone. If you don't want one, don't BUY one. But "freaking hating" one makes you look like a moron.

Now, lets see you use those little smileys, as it's about your mental level.

The Caliber is a small crossover, which is a segment that is exploding right now as people get out of SUVs. In person, I find it to be better looking than the Matrix, but not as nice as the Vibe. And, even though DC already has the PT in that category, the Caliber should appeal to those that aren't interested in the retro looks of the PT. It's a small version of the Magnum.

As for the manumatic and interactive CVT, the car is not a sports car, so if it has enough power, a good manumatic makes sense as a daily driver. The Matrix/Vibe had a manual in the AWD version, but you could only get the 130 hp engine in that AWD version. So, even Toyota made compromises to get the car to market.

posted by  ChrisV

I don't think it matters to classify it as a hatchback, wagon or an SUV personally. It is a fusion of the three. For someone 20-30, I think it pulls SUV characteristics nicely yet keeps the car managebale and well priced.

The points of style I like better on the caliber compared to this pic you put of the Matrix XRS is the front lights and the back in particular. I like the back windows of the Caliber that cut down and give you more car body. I wish I had some pictures that weren't in this color though. I am a fan of dodge in black.

Now I'll be honest, I've never driven a CVT or CVT2 system so I am not sure what to expect. Have any of you?

posted by  boothe

I have, but not on this car. It's quite different. When floored, it revved up to 4500-4750 rpm and stayed there throughout the acceleration. (Up to interstate speed).

posted by  hondaman

:drool:
I love Magnums

posted by  Scolson

Ya, just realized that. Lol. Didnt think that it made all that much sense. :laughing:

posted by  StiMan

PErsonally I haven't liked the CVT's I've driven. Can't get used to it.

What's funny is you like the rear of the Caliber and I hate the rear probably the most of all parts of the car. When I sat in one the first thing I noticed is the HUGE blind spot that part of the car creates with how the rear window is, pretty big safety issue there.

I like the back, the I am not necessarily in love with the rear lights. I haven't been in the car so, don't know about blind spots. Though I did have a pathfinder before and that thing was king of blindspots....

I've been reading in some other places that the CVT2 is getting a lot of good reviews. Acceleration is ok but once you get goin at like 15-20 it can really move.

posted by  boothe

Your Message