should trucks be dropped?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  should trucks be dropped?

should trucks be dropped? i mean really now you get a truck to do work or mudding :) if any thing you should raise a truck. what are your oppinions.

posted by  camaro67

Well it all depends IMO. I perfer to drop a truck low. Some people would do that and then put switches on them. But I would rather ride low. Thats just me though :mrgreen:

posted by  DJ Nonsense

That is your opinion. Most trucks on the road in the US don't do any sort of work beyond carrying groceries. And the vast majority of 4x4's never even travel down a dirt driveway.

Yes, trucks should be dropped if that's what the owner wants to do. Yes, trucks should be raised if that's what the owner wants to do. Very seldom are these modifications done to make the truck more useful or better for a particular purpose, they're just done because somebody likes the way it looks. Your question is much like asking "should trucks be blue?". Well if you like blue probably but if you like red, well then maybe not.

posted by  vwhobo

damn bro somebody needs to calm them selves all i wanted was an opinion so go put your self in a corner

posted by  camaro67

damn bro go calm yourself all i wanted was a frikin opinion

posted by  camaro67

And I suppose posting that reply twice gets your point across better. If you wanted an opinion you should have asked "Do you like lowered trucks or not and why?". What you did was stae your opinion and look for people to agree.

I don't know of anyone here who needs to calm down, but I know someone who needs to smarten up.

posted by  vwhobo

I just received this little gem from our newly appointed village idiot, errr... beasteality boy. If you're man enough to say it, say it in public.

posted by  vwhobo

I agree all trucks should be blue. Hell everything should be blue.

Cause blue is my favorite color :mrgreen:

posted by  DJ Nonsense

why do you have to be a dick man, damn all i wanted was an opinon so go shuv it i think you just like to start things :fu:

posted by  camaro67

And why do you think the FU smiley and calling me names is going to get you anywhere. After all, you're the one who invited me to come and join you while you "blow goats". Put half as much effort into your posts as you are being a crybaby and we won't have this situation.

posted by  vwhobo

hey bro i said it was an opinion at the end of my question so i think some one needs to smartin up other than me now dont get me wrong thats just my OPINION
p.s. REMEBER its just an opinion

posted by  camaro67

How old are you little boy? I'm not your "bro" nor do I want to be. Read everything I said again, then ask your mommy what it means and maybe you'll understand.

posted by  vwhobo

where i live you dont have to go out of your way much to get to places where 4x4 is needed. Most of the vehicles in town are trucks and the lowered
trucks in town just look stupid.
Personally I would never consider lowering a truck but thats just my opinion.

posted by  wishihada911

Whan I wanted to go 4x4ing, that's what I used (or a baja bug). I have no need to GO offroading, so my trucks were not negatively affected by being lowered. They could still carry anything I wanted to carry, and I felt they looked good (like most vehicles, which is why even factory designers tend to draw "future" cars with less clearance...). While I could drive a few minutes away and need a 4x4, I simply chose not to go to those places in any of my lowered vehcles. Pretty simple.

So yes, I think lowered trucks are just fine. Lifted ones are just fine. And stock ones are just fine, if that's what you want.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/tfront1.jpg

This was my last lowered truck. Not as low as some I've had, but it carried as much stuff as I wanted it to. But, truthfully, 90% of the time you're in your vehicle, you're not carrying anything but yourself, and driving on paved roads, so it really doesn't matter...

posted by  ChrisV

okay Camaro67 you definitely took vwhobos reply the wrong way....

and i agree. its all up to the owner! after all, its his/her car, right?

posted by  SuperJew

NO YOUR WRONG! :mrgreen: J/P

Love the sig by the way :mrgreen:

posted by  DJ Nonsense

camaro67, I really dont see why you see this post as you do, I didn't find it rude!

posted by  Cliffy

Dude you have some hostility issues. "Can't we all just get along?"

As for the issue at hand, I think the owner's opinion is all that should matters because in the end they are the ones who will be driving the car, not any of us. If they choose to lower it, thats great. If they give it a 12" lift and need to get a ladder to get in their truck, more power to you

posted by  Voda48

1. No, we can't all just get along. That is a phrase used by people who would rather go with the flow, no matter how uncomfortable it may be, than make a valid point.

2. I have hostility issues. I'm not the one who PM'd myself and said I should go blow goats. Read from the top and see who started this and then tell me who has issues.

posted by  vwhobo

sry i thought u were jumping all over me for asking this question really my bad i just wanted to hear opinons ok so sry for calling you shit my bad ill back off

posted by  camaro67

Fair enough with me. What part of Florida are you from?

posted by  vwhobo

Here's my opinion...As long as it'd not a 4X4 truck getting dropped, That's fine with me. But IMO, 4X4s should be lifted. They just look better lifted than lowered. However, there are some trucks that do look very nice lowered instead of lifted and vise versa. Close to all S-10s look cool lowered. I just like the look better when they're lifted. F-350 duallys look cool lifted (even though I have no idea how they hell you'd lift one of those bigass trucks), but I saw one lowered a few days ago that nearly made me drool. And this coming from somebody who really doesn't like Fords at all.

posted by  Satty101

im from around miami are you from florida?

posted by  camaro67

I grew up between in Pinellas county.

posted by  vwhobo

I think it just matters what kind of truck you want. If you want an F-350, I doubt you want to slam it over some chrome rims, lol. But hell, who am I to say anything, I am busy at work modding a 5,000$ car :-\

posted by  Integra_LS

Have you ever seen a one-ton dualie six-pack dumped hard pulling a race car (or something equally cool)? To sum up the look it's bitchin'. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

Anything in the Land Rover/ Range Rover catagory should be raised by about 12" and have a set of 35"+ tyres on them. They look the mutts nuts...! :hi: :thumbs: :2cents:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

Agreed, some cars look really nice lower. I saw a Denali that was lowered today on my way to class. Very smooth.

posted by  Voda48

Yes actually I have, I saw a rx-7 pull up against this huge f-350 lifted up with like 35" mud tires, the f-350, which it said was a twin turbo diesel pulled the rx7 with no prob and ran an 11-12, it was pretty damn sweet! Plus it was a Ford, Ford trucks all the way.

posted by  Integra_LS

The cool thing about those big diesel trucks is that you can get this Mod from www.Bullydog.com that will work in most new diesel trucks. Once installed, you have a switch in your vehicle that "stage 1" will give you 60hp extra, "stage 2" will give you and extra 100+hp. They are really cool. My friend put one in his Excursion. :thumbs:

If you look at that website, www.bullydog.com that is what I would like to do to a truck :hi:

posted by  Voda48

..... You can chip or ECU upgrade almost any vehicle on the market.

I live in redneck country, every second vehicle on the road here is a truck. Imports are spit on, its all about the north american manufacturers here. While I don't share the same mind as most automotive consumers 'round here the sight of a dropped, shaved Chevy half ton makes me drool. I agree with the previous comment that if its a 4x4 it should be lifted, anything over a half ton should probably be lifted up, altho I have seen a couple of very nice looking lowering duallys.

Like almost everyone else has said, personal preference. :thumbs:

posted by  Kottonmouth

i'm a girl and when guys have trucks that are lowered it makes them look...i dunno...weird. if anything you should lift it. i don't know about other girls, but i love big trucks (don't take that the wrong way), especially diesel!!

posted by  whiskeygirl666

Since this has been revived lemme just say holy shit Hobo lol, I live in Largo

posted by  99integra

And let me say... this cracks me up. and still does :laughing: :orglaugh: :laughing:

posted by  Pythias

Notice how when a girl does it, everybody's fine, as if people were posting on it just yesterday, but if I were to do it, everybody would start flaming me, and calling it spam :laughing: :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

i think that they should only be dropped if it is an s10...those are the only trucks that look good lowered.

posted by  brewer_26

What if I don't WANT to go offroading? I had no problems towing anything that I wanted with my lowered trucks, and I had no problems carrying what I wanted. If YOU want to raise your trucks, go ahead. Many of us just love low vehicles.

BTW, if I wanted to go offroading, I'd use a Jeep or a Land Rover.

posted by  ChrisV

That is so true... Anyways, it is kind of weird looking back at the Hobos cynical side. I like the look of some trucks when they are dropped, and actualy some SUVs as well. Personaly Brewer, I think the S10 looks like garbage when dropped. I guess it just goes to show that we all have our opinions huh?

posted by  Voda48

I completely disagree. I loved my low Toyota, my low Mazda, my low Chevy LUV, my low Suburban... I'd love a dropped full size '67-72 stepside or a '50s Chevy.

S-10s don't look that much different than any other small truck, so how would they look good lowered and not others?

posted by  ChrisV

Actually, notice HOW she did it. She said they looked "I dunno...weird" then said she liked big trucks. It simply wasn't as insulting as the way a lot of the guys say it. And she's right. If you're not used to the way they look, it does look weird, as stock vehicles aren't that low. She didn't say it was retarded or that people who do it were idiots that should be killed in some way. She just said it looked weird to her and then she said what SHE liked.

This is what I've been harping on for years. if you don't like it, you don't HAVE to like it. You just have to be less insulting about the things you don't like.

posted by  ChrisV

Well, in my opinion, do something to your truck, lift it or lower it. Just make it stand out from the crowd (ironically I've done neither to my truck, but I never had intentions of keeping it for very long). I'm a huge fan of "laying frame" or dropping a 44" bogger into a mud pit. If you're playing with your ride, it's great by me.

FYI, my stock Chevy pickup has dropped a lot of heavily modified Jeep jaw, you don't need to spend a lot of money to have fun off the pavement. The only place they've ever gone and I couldn't was based upon vehicle width.

posted by  Bino

everyone has their own opinions. whether you like trucks lowered or not. why are some of you getting all pissy just because other people have their own opinions. what are you guys, like 8? can't we all just get along? and if anyone has pictures of their trucks, i'd love to see them. (not one's that are lowered though). sorry, i just prefer trucks that are lifted and that's my opinion :thumbs:

oh, and by the way, thanks for sticking up for me chrisv :wink2:

Let people do what they want. Liking or disliking it will not change things.

I agree with the above post...why argue over something so trivial?

Would a minivan suffice? :laughing:
http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/hondaman/images/van.JPG

posted by  hondaman

My trucks not worth showing..... yet anyways. But its in my signature along with the 5th Avenue, what a project :mrgreen:

posted by  car_crazy89

Once again, opinions are more important than everything, huh? Why is it important to be able to not only form opinions, but hold on tightly to ones that are designed to be insulting? (or at least ones designed to be STATED as insults?)

I'm trying to get people to stop insulting things that aren't their favorites, as usually that's done to justify HAVING those favorites. It isn't about the opinion, but 1) the assumptions those opinions are based on, and 2) the inuslting way they are usually stated.

If someone came on here and said he "hated" lifted trucks because they are stupid and slow, and lifting them made them work worse, would you simply say "gee, he has an opinion! Must be true, because it's his opinion."

I like lifted trucks AND lowered trucks. I don't see why it HAS to be one or the other, or see a valid reason for one or the other to be insulted.

posted by  ChrisV

That reminds me of that new Jeep they are making...
Has anyone seen it?

Would it be better, in your opinion, to raise or lower it (or leave as is)?

posted by  ChromeDome

Is this the one? It's pretty nice...0 degree turning radius.

http://siliconjesus.info/albums/2006-Cars/4466_jeep_hurricane2.sized.jpg

posted by  chris_knows

The Jeep Hurricane?

posted by  99integra

Isnt that the one they will never build, and also has the TWO Hemi engines?

posted by  car_crazy89

It looks pretty nice, wish they would build it, then what about the Jeep Gladiator, it's more of a truck:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/jeep/gladiator/naias_2005/gladiator1.jpg

posted by  chris_knows

http://autonet.ca/Spotlight/NewModels/2005/09/09/jeep1.jpg

I think this is the one I'm talking about...

posted by  ChromeDome

Depends on what the owner wanted to do with it. That vehicle is specific to offroading, so making it the best it can be in that regard makes sense. But if someone thought it might make a neat lowered sporting vehicle and they pulled it of, that would be cool, too. I've seen some pretty neat lowered hot rod and drag race jeeps before, as well as killer offroad versions.

http://www.dragraceusa.com/images/latestresults/pomona/HolyToledoJeepWeb029 7.jpg

http://www.carnut.com/show/02/all/all417.jpg

http://www.carnut.com/show/04/lou/nat816.jpg

http://www.carnut.com/show/01/spf/nat460.jpg

http://www.carnut.com/show/03/skat/kat288.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

The way I like to look at it is 4X4's should be raised and 2WD's should be lowered. You wouldn't want to take a 2WD wheeling while a lowerd 4X4 is just pointless.

posted by  The_Dude

And in this case, I think the best would be to either leave it alone, or raise it up. Check out the picture I post above...

posted by  ChromeDome

looks like the wagoneer, redesigned.....

only dropped for show/race purposes. offroading, or work, should stand tall on excellent suspension systems...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Yeah... I like the shout out the the older designs...

And what kind of suspension did you have in mind?

posted by  ChromeDome

all depends on what you're going to use the truck for....

for offroading, definitely a suspension + body lift...put it up at least a good 12"...

for work..at the very least, a 3" suspension lift.

for show...all depends if you want to slam it on the ground, or just give it an agressive show stance....

posted by  dodgerforlife

Thanks for the advice, dodgerforlife...

Could I have the best of both worlds with using it for work and off-roading?
That is, without looking like an idiot?

What's the scoop?

posted by  ChromeDome

Remember, some places in America have limits on how hgih you can raise a truck.

In my old place the limit was a 4" BL and a 8" SL max. The bumpers have to be a certain height fro mthe ground too. Plkus you had to have fenders covering the entire tire (no protrusion).

posted by  thunderbird1100

Airbagging it would work

posted by  99integra

tbird, yeah if you're keeping it street legal :hi: but if you're doing a truly nuts off-roader...

as for the best of both worlds, probably a combination of airbags + body lift...

posted by  dodgerforlife

isn't that the jeep comander?

Which one?

posted by  99integra

oops, my bad

Thats the commander yes

posted by  99integra

that's what ChromeDome was asking and they were calling it a wagoneer

oh lol :doh: :laughing:

posted by  99integra

we were calling it a redesigned wagoneeer.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/360000-360999/360393_4_f ull.jpg

^^^^ 81 Wagoneer....

posted by  dodgerforlife

ok, sorry

look there's no ride like a low ride. that's the way i roll everyday and i always will.

posted by  SyntheticTrust

Except for the fact that you have to swerve around every bump in the road seeing as how your truck has no shocks

I especially like it when low trucks get their fronts ripped off. Really makes me laugh.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I've driven trucks (and cars) daily that had less than an inch and a half of clearance and never had either of those two problems...

Of course, I still had shocks and good ride...

And I don't intentionally drive rapidly over bumps and potholes in ANY car, whether it's a lowrider or a stock Jaguar. That's just abusive to your vehicle. it's best to avoid them if you want your car to last.

posted by  ChrisV

With everything he's hit with his truck (concrete boarders, powerlines poles.. ect..) I'm suprized his truck still has a front.

Well it does totally depend on the type/style of truck on what would look better, sometimes stock can be the best. Personally you can do either with your vehicle, whatever way you like it. I personally wanna raise the truck i have (when i start work on it) but am not sure if it'd look right since its only 2WD, i also dont mind the look of it if it were dropped and maybe had a lip kit on it. Usually, your way is the best way for your vehicle.

posted by  car_crazy89

Who called it a Wagoneer?

It does give a shout out to previous Jeeps - which I like, but I think it is closer to the Cherokee.

posted by  ChromeDome

Your Message