1995 Mercury Sable

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1995 Mercury Sable

Hey everyone:

I would first like to say I'm very lucky to be joining these forums, I just love working on cars. Anyways....I'm really good friends with my neighbor, and he "pimped" out a 1995 Mercury Sable, with stuff like tints, exterior/interior lights, etc. Anyways....he wanted to get a better car, so I bought it from him. It's in pretty good condition, and is pretty pimped out. Ok, I have two questions. Number one, do you guys know that what this part is called? It's a very think metal board almost, that's in the front of your car, almost near the wheels, going from the front left wheel to the front right wheel. I think it's for sending wind to the engine when you drive. Anyways, he took it off because he said it was falling off. I would like to get another one.

Also, I've been looking around, and there is NO cold air intake available for the Mercury Sable. Is there anything I can do to get a cold air intake on there? He bought one of those performance AEM cold air intakes, and cut it so it would fit, and first off, the engine light went on, and later hurt his transmission. Is there any one that would fit "properly" to the sable? I really want that extra cold air and power.

Thank you guys SOOO much for the help, I really appreciate it!!!

posted by  Coopercentral

A CAI wouldn't add too much power...maybe 2-3 hp, but you probably wouldn't even notice it, if you want one, you could always custom bend it to fit.

As for the part, I can't think of anything other than an air dam:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/online/images/M-16601-R00.jpg

:thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Hey thanks VERY much for the very immediate help. Like I said, my friend bought a CAI (AEM) for my sable, and he cut it to fit, and it did make it a difference. I mean not a huge difference, but the engine ran cooler, and it sounded A LOT better. But like I said, the engine light came one, and the tranmission needed serious work. So, then is there any other type of CAI that COULD fit a sable without the engine light coming on and without hurting the transmission?

Also thanks for the part, I'll have to look into that!!

posted by  Coopercentral

How could a CAI affect a transmission?:screwy:

posted by  Mathew

I can't see how a cold air intake would hurt the transmission...The check engine light might come on because of the MAF sensor, but I'm not too sure about that...

posted by  chris_knows

I don't know personally how it affected the transmission, but....our mechanic said that it was sucking up alot of crap, so maybe thats why. But...I would still like to get an air intake, but can anyone find a SPECIFIC "cold air intake" for a "Mercury Sable"? I can't find one at ALL!!!, just air filters.

posted by  Coopercentral

Still not making sense...

posted by  Mathew

Your Message