Cold intake..

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Cold intake..

Yeap, it's another post :mrgreen:

Does anyone know where I could grab a cold intake kit for a 95' LeSabre? I've found plenty of regular intakes on ebay, just no cold intakes. I saw a chip that makes your car think it has a cold intake to get +20 hp but I really want the real thing. (hell I might get that too)

Any suggestions fellas? As always, I appreciate your time :mrgreen:

posted by  narcisis

your car isn't classified as a "performace" car, therefore it will be hard to find performance parts. you could probably make one though. as far as the "chip" is concerned, dont bother. they hurt the car more than help it.

posted by  glagon1979

Ya know I kinda figured that about the chip, I greatly appreciate your insight. The cold intake thing I was kinda coming to realize.. hm.. I did see someone make one before though.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/835681/2

That guy did it, if I copy his method of a cold intake setup you think it would be benficial? I believe all he did was buy a regular intake (like I found on ebay) and built a box around it.

posted by  narcisis

I don't know how to break this to you, but the "modification" this bozo made to his car won't make appreciable more power and may even cost him power. If you take about ten seconds and look at your factory set-up, you'll see that it's already drawing air from behind and below the headlight... Just like his Rube Goldberg CAI. Additionally, until he provides some proof that he has in fact increased power with that "mod" such as comparative timeslips or dyno sheet, he's just pissing in the wind. The only thing he's increased is his opinion of his engineering prowess. The one thing he did do that could potentially be helpful was install the scoop that he later took off... Of course he'd have to be moving near 200 mph for it to have any ram effect.

Save your money for portholes and LED lights, they'll make you just as much faster as his contraption.

posted by  vwhobo

Yea I saw where it was drawing air from, then I saw that guys setup and I was in awe, lol. The scoop thing I thought was abit much (maybe the spoiler as well), but whatever. I was going to get the regular intake anyway but from reading his page I figured it would help if I did that box thing he did to keep warm air from hitting his intake.

posted by  narcisis

You don't get it, do you? Cut out the middle man, save a pile of time and money, just drop in a good quality air filter in the stock box. You'll make just as much power and not f*ck up your car.

posted by  vwhobo

How could getting an intake not help performance? The car's getting more air. Well that's my basic understanding, I'm an IT guy not a mechanic, lol. As for time and money, the intake is like 25 bucks on ebay - and what do you mean f*ck up my car? I've been looking around trying to educate myself on the subject, all I could see is more dirt getting into my engine because of it. Also I already have a good air filter I believe.. I think its KnD.

posted by  narcisis

1. Because of poor airflow management?

2. Are you sure?

3. Don't you think that getting more dirt into your engine is a bad enough reason right there?

posted by  vwhobo

So, all intakes are bad then? Since it's getting more dirt in the engine?

posted by  narcisis

Somehow I doubt you're an "IT guy". You don't seem sharp enough or your company has low standards. I never said that, I simply repeated what you said.

posted by  vwhobo

You just went on about how it would be basically bad to install an intake on my car, I more or less asked why. Well anyway, you've had a little attitude the whole thread, hell most of your posts has some kinda attitude.

And yes, I'm an IT guy, just that, an IT guy. I know NOTHING about cars, thanks for the help though. :screwy:

posted by  narcisis

all he's trying to do is get you to flush the idea and move on. why bother when they don't even make performance parts for your car. if i were you i'd sell it and buy something with a little more aftermarket support, but thats just me. do what makes you happy, but don't come crying to us when you f*ck something up.

posted by  glagon1979

I think you'll see the same gains installing a K&N drop in filter to your stock intake system as you would fabricating a CAI. Besides, with a cold air you'll have to worry about the possibility of hydro-locking your engine, which is why I chopped mine in 1/2. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

I completely understand that, and I appreciate the time he took. I do NOT appreciate being spoken to with an attitude or being insulted, which he did both - and I didn't provoke him. Well outside of my ignorance with cars, which is what I'm thinking what did it, hell I get the same way when people ask me ignorant computer questions. Anywho, I'm not the one to flame, or be flamed at as I try to be as respectful as possible to those who do the same to me. On that note, cya :mrgreen:

posted by  narcisis

Hm.. thanks for the advice. However why do people get intakes in the first place if you'll get the same performance with just a good stock filter? Or is that just the case with *my* car since the intake is already in a good spot to get air flow?

posted by  narcisis

I'm the one with an attitude, but... You're the one with the :fu: smiley in your signature block. You tell me which one is more insulting. Moron.

posted by  vwhobo

What are you? Some kinda over analytical old man? This is the net if you haven't realized. I found the smiley comical, therefore I put it into my sig, does it offend you? If it does then you need abit of counciling. Oh I know let me put a little cute smiley after the fu smiley so people will know it's nothing to get worked up about - sound good?

Jesus man, lighten up - and change your f*cking tampon. :rolleyes:

posted by  narcisis

Does your mommy know you suck dicks with that mouth? You are the one who came to this forums asking a million questions like a little child suffering from ADD. You are the one who seem s unwilling or unable to comprehend simple answers. What I am is someone with more knowledge and experience than you'll ever have, both automotive related and life in general. I suggest that if you want to get anywhere on this forum or in real life, you wise up and get a clue.

posted by  vwhobo

Haha damn man, lots of stored up anger there, I suggest you resolve that issue with your abusive background. Yes, I came here asking questions, this is what forums are for, and my comprehension level.. lol oh man, you know what. You're not worth it, you're just an angry person in general I can see, and I won't feed into your social ignorance. You are quite right though, you'll always have more knowledge and experience than I'll ever have dealing with this subject matter - it's not my field, nor do I wish it to be. None of your statements make sense, you make it seem like I was one doing the badgering here. I was completely friendly until you insulted me, o retarded one. But this flame game is over, I have no time to play with adult children. But I do appreciate the insight you gave me, to cars, and to your character. :mrgreen:

posted by  narcisis

That's right, it's my fault that you're ignorant and can't comprehend simple explanations. Run along now and find some other forum that you can annoy with your ramblings.

posted by  vwhobo

Boiling this down to simple English - the stock air intake is essentially a Cold Air intake on a GM 3800. A good K&N filter will help if maintained properly.

This conversation is looks like its over.

thread locked

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message