Exhaust Help

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Exhaust Help

I want to get a header for my truck next, when I do get it I will upgrade the piping size at the same time, my question is, would 2.3" be a big enough upgrade or would 2.5" be the best choice. Another thing, I want to know if putting a high flow cat would improve the power any? Thanks

Also what is the best way to reduce backpressure? I have a Flowmaster 40 already installed and want to know if that is a good way to reduce it

posted by  99integra

You'd better recheck your research. You're not going to find a 2.3 or 2.5 primary header for a 2.3l anywhere. Correct info makes decision making so much easier.

posted by  vwhobo

Ahh, I should have been more specific, I meant that size for the pipes, sorry about that :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

The answer lies with the primary and collector sizes on the header. That being said, the 2 1/4 will flow plenty for a 2.3 unless you're turning over 8k rpm and it'll be lighter than the 2 1/2.

posted by  vwhobo

Heh, the max I'll ever be turning is 5500 which is redline and sometimes I have to do it (not often) to merge onto a highway to keep up with traffic. Another thing will a higher flowing cat be a good investment or will it just be me pissing away money?

posted by  99integra

The question is higher flowing than what? A high flow cat may be a good investment, but if the current cat flows sufficiently it won't matter. If you still have the 13 (or whatever) year old OE cat, it wouldn't hurt to put on a new one as a maintenance item or get rid of it entirely.

posted by  vwhobo

You know I don't have the previous repair records because I bought it from a dealer (bad thing I know) but I assume its the OE because almost everything on the truck is OE and still in good condition. Is there any way I can test or see if the OE cat is flowing efficiently? If I was to rid of it, do you remember if they do inspections still here in Florida?

posted by  99integra

1. Backpressure test.

2. I don't know, but I bet there's a real easy way to find out.

I'd think that someone who used to own a repair shop would know these answers. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

Haha geez people still remember eh? :wink2:, I'm just gonna go down to Corey's and see if they can do a test, or maybe Rainbow Muffler. Thank you for your help!

posted by  99integra

It's hard not to. Just yesterday I was reading about your 9-second Integra.

posted by  vwhobo

LOL, yeaaa :doh:
Man I was a lying sack of shit back then

posted by  99integra

Yes, yes you were :laughing: JP

posted by  chris_knows

Which header is the highest flowing one and the best choice do you think?

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1300_R

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1310_B2

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1312_B2

posted by  99integra

There isn't enough information there to decide. More importantly, how much fabrication are you willing or able to do? Only one of them even appears to be a direct bolt in with flange, the other two have naked collectors.

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah I noticed that, it really depends because I have done some header work in the past but it was a direct bolt in. I'm willing to do slight fabricating if necessary, where would I find a flange for the header though or would I have to have someone fabricate one for me?

posted by  99integra

Your Message