rwd american cars

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  rwd american cars

Currently im looking to purchase a care in teh next month for commuting to college and replaing my jeep my budget is aroudn 3000-5000 dollars.
Im looking at a firebird 3.8 atm
can anyone name any american rwd cars that weren't v8's something maybe sprorty or not sporty but only rwd american cars and has to get upwards 22 mpg.

posted by  Aondor

I cant think of any "sprorty" american cars:smoke:, BUT have you considered the classic stereotypical V6 or older I4 mustangs. If you want to commute though honestly you may have to bite the bullet and get a econocar IE older camry, accord, civic, corolla etc.... Trust me I know it will suck because I am being faced with the same problem. Also you amy want to look at T-Birds, Cougars, and if you can find one a older Lincoln Mark Viii. An old lady I shoot with has one and gets about 23 overall. :2cents:

posted by  skeetin870

80s style malibus and monte carlos

posted by  adamc44

A fox body Mustang with the 5.0 and 2.73's is the way to go man I'm tellin you, you get good gas mileage and still have the get up and go :wink2:

posted by  99integra

dont forget the regal, cutlass, grand prix. i think there is one more but i can't think of it.........:banghead:

how about an s10 or a ranger v6. pretty snappy if you get a standard trans. we had a 2.8 86 s10 here at the yard and we couldnt kill it. red line every shift and it wouldn't lay down. it would still be running if we didn't crush it.

posted by  glagon1979

was the cutlass alwyas rwd?

posted by  Aondor

Not the ones made in the '90s.

posted by  hondaman

I believe 87 or 88 was when they ransfered to FWD...

posted by  Satty101

5.0 mustange, all tho a great car, thats a V8 sunny!

just go with the reg. mustange, not the GT or cobra!

-Dan

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

Ah damn I didn't see the no V8 thing :doh:

posted by  99integra

Why don't you jet get another Maverick or Comet with the 6 cyl? Cheap old cars for college are where it's at. I kno wwhere there's a decent 4 door Maverick with the 6 cyl for $600. A couple EASY repairs later, and you can use up a lot of gas with the rest of your budget...

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=13304

posted by  ChrisV

yea i cant remember the last one ethier...

theyre nice cars and all, good highway mileage too
I cant say anyhing about the v6's though
but I know the 305 got about 12-14 mpg around town :ticking: :banghead:
im gonna have fun

posted by  nighthawk

You could get a 4 banger svo mustang :hi: :hi:
They are PLENTY fast

posted by  skeetin870

Slant 6 A bodies from 74-76 got pretty good mileage. They were rated around 22mpg city and 35mpg highway. Shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of one of them too because nobody wants those cars from those years.

posted by  Benson

fiero?

not sure on gas mileage, but the 4 cyl ones were low revving low horsepower engines with some torque, pretty much built for driving around, and nobody seems to want them ethier.. rwd as well:2cents:

only bad parts are

1. 2 seater, cargo room etc..
2. not fast at all :laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

Nobody wants their forgotten, backyard rusted Fiero. BUT...a Fiero that you would want will be costly. People believe that Fieros hold value.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=175156114&dealer_id=55697765&c ar_year=1988&model=FIERO&bkms=1149488656452&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1981&m od_bookmark_id=null&certified=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=PONT&min_pr ice=&address=70072&advanced=&end_year=2007&max_price=&cardist=1932

WTF

I thought Fieros were 6 cylinders?

posted by  What?

decent fieros can be had for way less than that... fieros came in 4 and 6 cylinder models.. the 4cyls said "2m4" on the trunk and the 6cyls had "2m6" on the trunk... i've had an '86 se auto. v6 and an 85 gt 4 speed v6. they were both peppy... but they really sucked in the snow... :cussing:

posted by  dodger65

Oh hell, go with the very stylish, sleek, women magnet - :orglaugh: Early 80's Chevette!

But, really, i'd go with a 88-93 4 cyl Mustang. You can make them look real nice and get good gas mileage. And, if it's raining, you can kick 'em sideways around the corners.

posted by  Lizard King 6B

Well since we're on the topic, might as well throw out some names..

how about a Ford Pinto or AMC Gremlin? They were small and depending on the year, they were kind of good looking too.I guess you could also say some of the older Vegas weren't bad either..

posted by  car_crazy89

AMC Pacer

the mirthmobiiiiiile

http://www.thegunslinger.net/codex/images/mirthmobile.jpg

I'd hit it:smoke:

posted by  TurboLag

Man! I forgot all about the Ford Pinto. The Car Gods smiled upon us the day the Pinto was created!:laughing:

posted by  Lizard King 6B

90's camaro regular v6 engine i read gets 22-25 mpg.

posted by  bam123

Your Message