Advice on what to buy

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Advice on what to buy

Hey guys im curious what i could buy to improve the speed of my 1992 Camaro RS It has a stock v8 305 its got about 112,000 miles. Its in pretty much perfect condition therse some minor damage to the front due to a little accident. The paint is 100% perfect a long with the body it also has T Tops. I thought of a super charger and just drive the car for fun and not to school/work.

Any ideas what i could buy to improve my speed for around 1000$?

ps: How much would a super charger run for a 92 camaro?

Thanks a lot!

posted by  bam123

Not going to get a supercharger for that price. Or really any forced induction parts for that matter. Ditch that boat anchor engine and go to a junk yard and pull out a 350 from some other car.

posted by  Benson

hmmmm are 350's easy to make modifications 2?

posted by  bam123

There are loads of aftermarket parts for them and its a much better engine to put power into instead of a 305.

posted by  Benson

contrary to popular belief, you can make a 305 run worth a crap. it just takes a little planning and thought, which most people aren't willing to invest. not disagreeing about the 350 idea, tho... just saying you can make it quick on a budget...:2cents:

posted by  dodger65

Well he never mentioned how much work he was willing to put in, but for $1000 a 350 will most likely make more power. Just the same with a 318. They can be a high hp motor, but most people would rather start with a 340/360 block.

posted by  Benson

Dammit why won't it let me start any new threads? lol

Was the site down for everyone else? Lol. I thought it was just my computer but I think CF's faster now lol.

posted by  chris_knows

It was down for me all yesterday too.

posted by  Benson

The 350 is probably the most popular engine as far as the aftermarket is concerned. I'd definetly play with the idea of getting one of those. Or if you want just pick up some nitrous for a couple hundred and use that until the 305 gives out, and then get a 350 and carry over the nitrous to that.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Where have you been? Thought you died on us. :laughing:

posted by  Benson

I did. I'm a zombie now.

posted by  PontiacFan27

the point i'm trying to make is that he only has $1000 to work with. if he gets a 350, he's going to be using money on buying the engine, whatever freshening up he needs to do to it, and swapping the motor has a way of nickel and diming you to death. especially the "as long as it's out" factor. i'm thinking he can get himself an intake, mild cam, headers, steeper rear gears, shift kit, and a carb and be a bunch quicker. matter of fact, i know he can do that, b/c i've done it w/ very good results. after that, he can pick up a 350 at his leisure, do it right and have the time to do it right, and when he gets it done, pretty much all he'll need is the appropriate stall, and he'll have a nice quick car...:2cents:

ps: it'll cost a little extra, but once you build up the motor, you're going to want to get an upgraded posi carrier. if not, you'll decide to do it after changing out the shattered spider gears 6 or 7 times...

posted by  dodger65

Thanks a lot guys for the help!

Im kinda curious on why everyone dislikes the v8 305 so much? I know the obvious reason i asked for power and a 350 is a pretty good engine for sports cars. Is there any other reasons?

posted by  bam123

The 350 has a lot of aftermarket support, and its been around for decades. The 305 on he other hand, was a low output, little supported "filler" engine. The 350 is just capable of so much more.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Okay thanks for that. I rekon its pretty hard to find a decent 350 in a junk yard or one for a grand.

posted by  bam123

It should be pretty easy to find a good 350 in a junkyard. They're common engines, and pretty durable to. Shop around, call local yard and ask if they have any. I'm sure youll find some good ones.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Im curious how you get these engines to your house or lift them in the back of a truck?

posted by  bam123

Engine hoist, fork lift, piece by piece...

posted by  PontiacFan27

Can always rent a hoist. Stick it in the back of your truck on an old tire to get it home. But keep someone in the back just to make sure it doesn't fall over. Basically anything that can lift a few hundred pounds will work. I remember my father told me a story of how he took an engine out of a car with a backhoe.

posted by  Benson

i've done that before... i'll have to scan the pics...:laughing:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message