CD Player in my '87 Sprint

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  CD Player in my '87 Sprint

Hey I was wondering if there was any way that I could install a Pioneer CD player into my 1987 Chevrolet Sprint. I know I can bring it to best buy and have it installed but that costs like 59.99 and i was wondering if I could do it myself.

posted by  Zach

Yeah, it shouldn't be that difficult. Get yourself a deck install kit, and a wiring harness adapter, and figure out how to get the old one out of your dash and the new one in. Wires, match them up, and solder them sumbitchs together.

posted by  dodgerforlife

You dont need to solder. Electrical tape will work just fine. Is your headunit's port the same size as the one you plan on getting?

posted by  PontiacFan27

Well excuse me for wiring shit together properly. Up here the weather can **** with electrical tape and cause it to fall off...hence the reason why I learnt how to solder.

posted by  dodgerforlife

:2cents: I spent the past winter in northern Alberta and my electrical tape worked just fine at -40C. :2cents:

As far as the deck goes, u can tell by looking at it but if unsure measure the factory deck to see if it is 2" by 6" if so u dont need a spacer (they are only about 10-20bux if u need 1), get yourself a wiring harness (approx 10bux) aslo scence it is a GM product U may need an entenna wire adapter. Some not all GM/Chev/Pont/Buick/Caddy vehicals call for this adapter which will set u back another 5-10bux. As you should know, the manual will show which color wire does what job as well as the back of the wiring harness package. Do read your manual diagram cause not all After market decks are colord the same as all makes of vehicals. as for connecting the wires you have a choice of (A) elec Tape, (B) Solder, (c) Wire crimps, or (D) heat shrink rubber.

posted by  mastersypro

Also you can fine the wiring harness and the deck spacer at any car audio retailer, you may not see the items on the shelf but just ask a clerk for the items for your exact model and year of car

posted by  mastersypro

Heh, give it another year, and toss in the rest of the weather :P

posted by  dodgerforlife

I use the rubber endcaps on the end of alot of wires to keep mine together on the radio for my DD, and they work pretty good. If you dont wanna go the electrical tape route, its an alternative to buying a soldering iron.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Most of the things we do are done using electrical tape.. then again most aren't long term lol. I'll have to be doing some wiring within a month or two *fingers crossed* when I get a new cab.

posted by  car_crazy89

Cheap tape wont last, maby go pick some good stuff up from Home Hardware or Canadian Tire :mrgreen:

posted by  mastersypro

Your Message