Will this hert my engine?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Will this hert my engine?

I was just wondering if high test gas (aka premium at the pumps) would hert my Chev 2.8L. I know it will hert my pocket

posted by  mastersypro

No, it won't hert it one bit.

posted by  67Coronet383

It won't "hert" it at all, if anything its just you pampering your car lol

posted by  99integra

It wont hurt, you're just wasting money.

posted by  PontiacFan27

High Octane doesn't mean better performance. Higher Octane gas just ignites at higher temperatures. You're not cleaning anything or getting more power from it. Some cars do have computers that can detect the octance and ajust timing to actually increase power. The 2.8 engine isn't one of them.

posted by  DukenukemX

yea it just be a waste of money

posted by  Andrew0261

I didn't know there was a Chevy 2.8 still running:laughing:

posted by  x1/9-rally

I got a Chevy 3.1 and it still runs just fine. Sitting in a 16 year old car with no body rust and still has original trans, starter, and etc. The only thing I replaced is the computer and basic tune up.

That's what happened when you change the oil and fluids every so often. Plus waxing the car is a great way to prevent body rust.

If you didn't know the 3.1 and 2.8 engines are the same engines but the 3.1 has a longer stroke.

posted by  DukenukemX

Lot's of the 2.8s will still be runing. Most of the cars they are in, however, are rusting away. :mrgreen: the 2.8 was plenty durable. I got over 323k miles out of the one in my Citation (which was a beat up POS that was extremely reliable), and I've seen them go nearly that long in S-10s without needing rebuilds.

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message