ATm

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  ATm

At the moment I have some money laying around.

Would a performance intake manifold and performance carb do much for my car?
I was thinking it wouldn't be an expensive mod and I could install it myself.
Also is there any thing air filter wise worth installing on my comet thats worth the money.
-Thanks

oh and if you odn't know Its a 73 with a 250 straigt six 4.1 liter.

P.s.- Finished the paint job on it yesterday its all blue now no white top just blue. looks nicer htan i expected it to

posted by  Aondor

What kind of carb is on it now? 1-2 barrel? I'm sure a 4 barrel will help suck back some more gas.

posted by  Benson

right now its a 2 barrel carb. Would 4 barrel give me a power boost though?

posted by  Aondor

If I ever ask anything close to a mechanical question I never get an answer. hence the reason this board gets on my nerves.
Hobo come yell at me for being an idiot at least you usualy backhandedly slip information out tha.

posted by  Aondor

Performance additions need to be matched. A 4 bbl carb on an otherwise internally stock engine will gain you nothing but money spent, and possibly get worse fuel mileage. In order to out one on, you either use a 2-to-4bbl adapter/spacer, or a custom intake manifold (such as one from Clifford). But in order to make it actually effective, you need a performance cam and exhaust. And if you still have the stock, low compression pistons, you may not see much of an improvement anyhow.

If everything else is stock, ANY clean air filter will work better than a dirty one, but there really won't be any noticeable performance difference between a cheap paper filter from the parts store and a high end K&N one.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks chris.
Thanks Ill look at clifford.

Where would I find higher compression pistons at? (and is ther eosme way to obatain them cheaply?)

posted by  Aondor

The fordsix.com guys are in the process of producing some alloy heads that should suit your motor.

posted by  Wally

Thanks alot wally. :thumbs:

posted by  Aondor

So it looks like the first Thing i need to do is upgrade my exhaust system.

I asked about a profesional engine rebuild today and I was quoted 1800 dollars does that semm a tad high to you?

posted by  Aondor

Cripes. I sold a 2V head and manifold for about $800.

It's only a log six, so fairly easy to fabricate some extractors. Maybe you should just try to find a 250 Oz crossflow motor. They will put out as much as a 302 winnie; or more without much effort.

posted by  Wally

Where would be a good place to look though. for a 250 Oz?
Whats the diffrence between my 250 and an oz 250?

posted by  Aondor

I can't help you there, but fordsix guys will know. One of them imports container loads of Oz gear.

One's engineered properly and the other one isn't.:mrgreen: Just the crossflow head makes a huge difference. Australian companies are very good at making improved Ford heads (e.g. CHI) for some reason.

posted by  Wally

I jsut read everythign i coudl find about crossflow engines and thats amazing
they have them reaching 390-410 hp. Unfortunately the cost of the parts seems to be staggering to get a hold of alot of that stuff.
They say an americna style engine could reach that power but it wold be practicaly unusable.
It would be nice if i coudl just walk acorss the street to the machine shop and they could craft me heads for my car that would give it aussie power.ehh too bad it doesn't work that way.
Thanks for all the help Wally have to look into pricing further

posted by  Aondor

Yeah, the Aussie 6 would be the coolest option for that car. I'd love to put an XR6 turbo 6 in a '60 Mustang. But in your case, by the time you spent all the money to make your 6 halfway quick, or spent all the money to get the Aussie parts on it, you could have bolted in a fuel injected late model 5.0 AND trans, and made more power and gotten better fuel mileage. Not as unique, to be sure, but probably the best all around solution.

posted by  ChrisV

I think im just goint to do some basic modifaction to m current block, and up the cams adjustment and new headers exhuast system and upgrade the intake and carb.
Then Ill just ge ta new suspension and nice tires.
and I want to put a rear spolier on my car like the falcon gt's had.
That set up should give me more than enough power to get around.
Then after those are down Ill look forged piston for greater compression and new rear gears after that Ill have a very nice ride( not fast, but not slow, looks nice and drives good)
Anything else?

Chris I adore 5.0s its juts not the direction i want to with this vehicle. Thanks for all your advice I realy want to thank you and wally and benson. Thanks for taking the time to stop and talk to me.
Wally you resored my faith in the I6 with fordsix team.

posted by  Aondor

Sorry I can't give you any specific direction on the six, but:

you won't need forgies, just plain every day cast alloy will do for what you want;

as ChrisV has stated a 4bbl carb isn't going to do you much good if the manifold, ports and valve opening is 1V. On an aesthmatic motor you want to keep the velocity up for cylinder filling and swirl, so the trick is to balance the pressure drop tradeoff with constant good velocity all the way.

you are going to need to make a decision on how you want the the engine to behave when selecting the primary lengths on the extractors. If you post the specs on the cam advertised events, head port sizes, valve sizes, valve lift, stroke, bore, compression ratio, I will do a calc for you to ballpark the selection.

posted by  Wally

Your Message