Cavalier - Power locks

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Cavalier - Power locks

Hey, I want to put power locks and keyless entry on my cavalier. Any advice onto which company/model of stuff I should get to rig this up...
-Thanks!

posted by  2001cavalier

they all seem pretty similar to me... although these integrated remote/locking units seem quite popular these days. I did one using a central locking kit, then adding a remote kit to it. The brand was Steel Mate if that's of any interest. It works fine.

posted by  windsonian

Thanks for the reply! I think I am going to get seperate units because I found a keyless entry system I like, but it doesn't come included with the actual locks. Here is the style of lock I have http://www.aplusperformance.com/catalog/images/bcc-doorinserts.jpg
How difficult will it be to install them in all 4 doors?
-Thanks!

posted by  2001cavalier

aah, ok, the ones i did had vertical actuators which made it nice and easy. It all depends on the rods inside the door, and how easy it is to mount the motors in the same plane as them. You'll see what I mean when you take the inner panel off the door. For the back doors, are there speakers or anything in them? what I'm getting at is that if there are already cables going to to the door, then there'll already be a cable transfer hinge (ie the flexi-pipe that connects the door to the frame to take the cables). If not, you may have to buy some.

posted by  windsonian

No, That back doors don't have speakers. I'll try to find a pic. of the inside of the door (cause I don't want to take the pannel off *yet* untill i'm sure i'm getting the locks, haha -lol- cause I am pretty sure I'd mess something up.

posted by  2001cavalier

Here it is:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/hawkeye_042/scan.jpg

posted by  2001cavalier

wow, that's some grainy picture :mrgreen:

bit hard to really tell anything from that...
see the two white lines going left to right (and slightly up)? looks to me like you need to strap the central locking motor's output arm to the top one of those. finding the ideal place to mount it is the next key. Unless the door is designed for it, it's very hard to tell from the picture. You'd have to get the motor and and open the door to have a play around with mounting arrangements.

So with the back doors, there's no cable transfer device?

posted by  windsonian

Sorry bout the pic. its from a repair manual. So in the back there isn't a wire transfer tube thing, but I looked it over and the spot in the frame and the door has the spots drilled out already with a cap over them so I would just have to take the caps off and replace them with the tube.

posted by  2001cavalier

woops sorry, Wrong forum

posted by  2001cavalier

correct....

posted by  windsonian

Your Message