Yet Another Neon Question

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Yet Another Neon Question

Hi everyone,

I have a 1997 plymouth neon expresso, 145,000kms, 5spd manual, 2.0L DOHC. Lately I have really been hearing my valves. It occurs while shifting gears at lower rpms (1500-3000rpms). Why is this happening? What do I do to fix it and how much will it set me back???

posted by  1997expresso

Double posting won't "speed" up an answer...if anything it is annoying.

posted by  BavarianWheels

WOW you guys are quick eh? I am impressed! :thumbs:

posted by  1997expresso

I'm wondering if you are hearing "normal" Neon noises as apparently this vehicle is notorious for being quite a lemon and noisy.

Could it be bad gas causing some ping at low rpms?

Thanks for replying I really appreciate it....

Yes I am very well aware of the fact that neons are lemons, particularly the 1st generation neons :laughing: Mine has not had any major repairs, yet *knock on wood*...I don't think the noises I am hearing are normal, it did not do it until about a year ago...Do you think I might need a valve adjustment???
I should also mention that some days the car runs better than others...some days there is good compression others there is not much and the engine feels like it has to work extra hard.

PS- As far as gas goes, the manual recommends Mid-grade due to the fact that the engine is a DOHC and will peform better...I put mid-grade in all the time..should I switch to regular LOL I mean it is a neon for crying' out loud!

posted by  1997expresso

I don't think trying a tank of premium would hurt to see how it goes.

Did you buy the car new? I've read that there is a TSB for the head gaskets and some people have had to have it replaced more than twice in under 100k miles!!!

Find the TSB's here: 1997 Plymouth Neon TSBs (http://www.alldata.com/TSB/46/974641CT.html)

No the car was not new when I bought it...It was 5 years old and had about 85,000 kms on it. I guess I can try filling up with a tank of premium and seeing how it goes..Thank you for the link I am going to visit it right now :mrgreen:

posted by  1997expresso

What do you mean by "hearing your valves?" It oculd be as simple as a valve adjustment. It could be a stretched cam belt, or it could be detonation.

http://www.neons.org/

http://neonsonline.com/

http://www.allpar.com/neon/neon.html

posted by  ChrisV

Hmmm how can I put this? It almost sounds like clicking. And I also rememebr my friend saying "your valves are floating" I am not really sure what he meant when he said "floating", but to me it sounds like a light clicking sound...Does a valve adjustment for a 97 neon cost a lot???????

posted by  1997expresso

Good Lord, are those all the recalls for the 1997 neon?!?!?! There is like 80! :banghead: :laughing: WOW it says something about Air Bag control module that can't be good.....

posted by  1997expresso

1st off, valve float usually only happens at high rpm (in fact, when your engine rpms are turning higher than your valve springs can keep up. I doubt that that's going to be a problem on a DOHC engine...). it's probably detonation, which could mean timing is off.

Second, a TSB is not a recall. TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. TSBs are kind of like the pages of a factory service manual, released throughout the life of the car., so the dealer techs can know how to fix things that are specific to that model, not common to all cars. Sometimes its what kinds of oils to use, sometimes it's how to fix certain parts correctly. When you pick up a Haynes manual, it shows how to repair the entire car, right? It includes troubleshooting chapters. That doesn't mean that the entire car is going to need to be worked on. It merely shows how to fix all the parts when and if they need it.

In that link that you have, there are only 4 recalls, The airbag control module, some non-defined passenger airbag issue, and two recalls on the radiator fan relay. The last two are emissions recalls, which means the relay undoubtably rus too long making the engine run toocool, increasing emissions slightly. Has nothing to do withthe quality of the car, really. The aribag ones should either already have been taken care of, or will be taken care of for free if they haven't been done on your car.

It's typical for a manufacturer to find out issues well after the cars are made. In the old days, we just waited until the next model came out to have the manufacturer adress those issues (and of course, create new ones). It's why often you hear it's better to get a, say, 1973 Porsche 911 instead of a '72, due to the one year only bad location of the oil catch tank in the rear fender. Too many people thought it was a gas filler, and put gas in the oil. Not good. That was dropped after one year. No recalls, just a running design change. These days, things like that are recall issues, and people get all uptight about them. :screwy: Some manufacturers (Nissan and Mitsubishi are good for this) don't issue recalls if they can help it, instead quietly fixing a "known" problem on cars as they come in for other service.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks for all the information you really helped me out a lot. I am actually very releaved that all those TSB's I was looking at were not recalls...But then again I should check out the 4 that were listed...The fan relay already went twice..It caused the car to overheat, I had to drive with the heat on during to cool the car down and just my luck, it was on a warm afternoon...not fun :laughing: Either way, thank you for your time and your knowledge.

:thumbs:

posted by  1997expresso

Your Message