Please Help

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Please Help

i own a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and i want to increase performance by purchasing an exhaust system with a good sound. now...i have specific limitations. i dont want it all "trucked-out" with a deep roaring noise, cause that would just be silly. its clearly not a mud-slapping vehicle. i want something cleaner, but i also dont want it to have a full-blown ricer sound. is there an inbetween? any suggestions on brands? models? anything relatively cheap yet with good quality? PLEASE HELP!!

posted by  laxtimmy08

Go Flowmaster 40 series for the win! :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

:stupid:

Flowmaster makes some of the best truck and SUV exhausts. Sound great too. Did you do an intake system?

posted by  newyorker

yea, an intake was definately next on my "to-get" list after a good exaust system. are you sure about flowmaster?...they mostly make the low, rumbling exaust right? think about how goofy it would be if a silver grand cherokee with stock tires rolled up next to you at a stop light. i want a fast sounding exaust, but not quite the description of "ricer"

posted by  laxtimmy08

Flowmaster is deep...not sure about the series and crap but i remember they had soundclips of their exhausts on their site..check it out they still might

posted by  newyorker

I got a 40 series Flowmaster on my truck, its a 2.3 liter and sounds like a v8 at idle and has a sexy tone at 2k and 4k+ rpm

posted by  99integra

How on earth does a muffler make a four cylinder engine sound like an eight cylinder? That's rhetorical as we already know the answer. I bet it sounds exactly like a 2.3 Ford with a Flowmaster on it. :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

Now hobo I didn't say that it sounded EXACTLY like a V8, it just has that mellow tone of a Dodge Dakota V8 (relate to that because of my grammpa, it was mellow sounding).

posted by  99integra

My V8 Dakota has a .060 over 400 and open headers. It sounds like a lot of things, but mellow isn't one of them.

posted by  vwhobo

I mean a stock one with stock headers, cam, exhaust, intake what have you.

posted by  99integra

Okay... I wasn't aware that V8 Dakotas come stock from the factory with headers. I'll have to look into that. Maybe you can provide a link with a picture.

posted by  vwhobo

..I don't know the silly little mind game your playin me but I'm confused..just..a stock V8 Dakota..thats all.

posted by  99integra

You said it had stock headers;

I said that I wasn't aware that Dakota came from the factory with headers and hoped you could provide a link with a pic. If anyone is playing silly mind games it would have to be you. Do you have a pic of a Dakota with stock headers or can you link us to one? What year Dakota came stock with headers? You made a statement, all I want is for it to be clarified. Unlike 99% of the membership of this forum, I'm always wanting to learn something new.

posted by  vwhobo

Dodge Dakota stock header?

posted by  99integra

what dickhead isnt telling you is that from the factory, vehicles come with an "exhaust manifold". headers are an aftermarket replacement.

posted by  jackal2000

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! Ugh, thanks for that. :doh:

posted by  99integra

It's funny how things take on new meanings. When I was a boy the header was the dump pipe between the manifold and the muffler/resonator/expansion chamber. In Oz what you would probably call headers, we call extractors. And to confuse things even more, some of our cars come out of the box with extractors, not the cast iron log manifold.

posted by  Wally

different countries, different terms of phrase/pronounciation/description etc etc!

posted by  True_Brit

Yes the Pommy tradesmen I worked with called headers "Head Pipes". Extractors leaves little room for misinterpretation.

posted by  Wally

i have heard exhaust headers before but i would generally call them headers!

posted by  True_Brit

Well dickhead, if you really want to impress us with your knowledge and gain any credibility, you'd give the right answer after calling me a name. But then stupid people like you can't be expected to accomplish two tasks at the same time, so you took the easy one.

Some cars come from the factory with headers. Most don't. Not all aftermarket replacements are headers and not all headers are aftermarket replacements. You may go back to masturbating now dipsh*t.

The only cars (engines) that that still use performance exhausts in the states that are called extractors are aircooled VW's. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it's been for years. I'm sure there's at least one member of this forum that would like to give you a multi-page disertation on the subject. Be that as it may, in these here parts your exhaust consists of (terminology wise) header/manifold, head pipe/collector, cat (if present), intermediate pipe, muffler, tail pipe. You might also have a resonator thrown in for good measure. As an aside, when living in the UK I always got confused and amused with the term "rear box".

Would you like to call me dickhead too?

posted by  vwhobo

rear box? never heard that term of phrase in the automotive world if i can call it that!

posted by  True_Brit

Yeah I know there will be someone delivering a sermon from the pulpit, but I thought someone might be interested (don't ask me who:wink2: ). The poms like to call the muffler a "back box" these days.

As for calling you a dickhead, well why not = you're a dickhead, but so am I as well as being a pretty good wanker at times.

posted by  Wally

LOL

what was on your truck then?

posted by  jackal2000

It's a common term here, just means rear silencer, I always use that term!

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message