2007 Mustangs - GT or V6? Convertible or Coupe?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  2007 Mustangs - GT or V6? Convertible or Coupe?

Hey all, I've decided on buying an 07 Mustang. This will be my first sports car. I have no plans to race, I just want a powerful car. So that said, I'm trying to decide on which model to get, and can use some advice.

I test drove the 2006 6 cylinder and GT models. As far as power goes, I think the 6 cylinder was perfectly strong enough for me, and the GT might be overkill. However I've heard that the 6 cylinder models were not as "reliable" as the 8. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'm buying a mustang for reliability, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd prefer to buy a quality car, and if the GT is better, I'll spend the extra cash. Can I get some opinions on that? Can any mustang (2005+) owners vouch for them or knock them?

Next I'm trying to decide between a coupe or a convertible. The main reasons I wouldn't want a convertible are road noise and break-in problems. I'll be driving with the top up often enough. A salesman (who claimed to be honest, ha!) said that the convertibles are loud and that it just gets worse as the car gets older. Any convertible owners out there to verify this for me? I heard the 2005+ convertibles are well insulated. Obviously I haven't had the chance to test-drive one yet.

Any other advice is more than welcome, thanks all

posted by  Mike521

How old are you?

posted by  newyorker

He sounds legit..

posted by  99integra

i believe i read somewere in a car and driver mag that it is more insulated than the coupe and make even less noise but dont take my word on it but i personally would want the GT conv. but that just me XD

posted by  Andrew0261

No im not doubting him, I am just pondering something.

posted by  newyorker

Read these.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/ford/mustang/100613490/ratings_consumersdet ail.html?dcr_usein=n&modelid=100506567

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?year=2006&makeid=14&modelid=17 9§ion=consumerreviews

posted by  Bronxie

Thanks for the links, it definitely looks like it's hard to find an unhappy mustang owner. I wish I could find more info on the "problems" the V6's experienced.

I'm leaning toward saving for a while and getting a GT convertible. will be a few months before I can make a big down payment on one of those though

posted by  Mike521

id get a v6 coupe

if you ever wanna go faster.... supercharge it:thumbs:

1300 POSTS WOOT LOL

posted by  nighthawk

Yes, the convertible is insulated enough so you won't be worrying about it for a long time, if ever. I'd go for a nice V6 Convertible with the Pony package, in a 5 speed, I've heard of people pulling mid-15's -low with the 5 speeds.

posted by  Pythias

For a young driver the V6 now has as much power as the GT used to. the engine is actually quite reliable, as it's no longer the decades old 3.8 liter. Themain claim to fame is that the insurance on the V6 will be much less.

posted by  ChrisV

as to what ChrisV is saying, id choose to go with the V6 first of all, because of insurance etc, but i believe only the V8 GT is in england at the moment so im stuffed

posted by  True_Brit

Now now, the 99-04 had 265 hp with 285 tq? The 94-98 still had 215-225 and 285 torque. My SN95, with a few small thins done to it, and an engine rebuild runs low 14's, it will still be a few more years before we see a baseline V6 Mustang beat a totally stock V8 from over 3-4 body styles ago.

posted by  Pythias

I agree. I have a stock 97 gt and it slaughters 2005+ v6 and gts so yeah...... dont believe me? test it on the road then

posted by  Blazin'Blazer

i have a 98 V6 Cov. and a 90 mustang but it a 4cyl o.o just felt like randomly saying that since we are talking about MUSTANGS!! uh yea im done xd

posted by  Andrew0261

I'd go for the V8 Coupe if I could afford to run one! However, the V6 is a reasonable car for a first time sports car!

posted by  Cliffy

I didnt' say beat it. And I said it has as much power as the GT used to. Didn't say what year, did I? The 215 hp 4.0 V6 has as much power as the older GTs that kids normally get have (like the '95 model), along with decent gearing to make it quicker than the 215 hp/240 lb ft would indicate. At a 7 second or better 0-60 (as tested with the automatic), it's quicker than my SVT Contour, and feels and sounds quicker yet, which is perfect for a street car. And it's on par with the Fox or early SN95 GTs.

posted by  ChrisV

Don't you think supercharging is more expensive than the actual gt addition itself? lol

And even if it wasn't, a supercharger, if it's a REALLY good one, would only give you the same added power the gt version would. And then it's not like you can go and supercharge it again. So you sacrifice that ability.

Then again I don't know how much superchargers cost for this car. I know for my BMWs they're mad expensive (6k+ for a good one)

posted by  Bronxie

Adding the supercharger wont jack your insurance rates, so that's still a cost bonus. But for a daily driver, it's really not necessary.

posted by  ChrisV

I was thinking about getting myself a mustang, until I realzied that 2 Years of Insurance in that car could buy me another used mustang.

posted by  jlowe

I pay 250$ a month for both of my Mustangs, affordable to me and I'm a 17 year old in college.

posted by  Pythias

Your stock 97 gt does not slaughter 05+ Gts. With 300 horsepower and 300 pounds of torque, and many people attaining 13 second time slips with a few minor bolt-ons, that makes it about a second faster than your early 4.6

posted by  Pythias

Hmmm... Idk its pretty funny then... I mean those 4 i beat from stoplight to stoplight going down highway 90 and then the one whom i ended up whipping on about a 3 mile run going down I-10

posted by  Blazin'Blazer

That's pretty high actually. That's about what a porsche boxster or a bmw z4 would be. You can check insurance sites for proof, I checked a lot of them.

posted by  Bronxie

Actually thats pretty low, I live in the U.S. and the average of most younger people is 200$ or so, newyorker paid 200$ a month I believe on his 4cyclinder Neon ALONE. If I had a porsche or a BMW I'm looking at least 400$ a month.

posted by  Pythias

Your Message