My thoughts on the past years of Corvettes.

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  My thoughts on the past years of Corvettes.

it is basically a article I wrote about how I don't see many changes in the design of the Corvette in the past couple years, while other classics have made big changes.

Pleases be kind, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion.

http://www.heliumknowledge.com/tm/79252/during-the-last-couple-years-the-au tomotive-industry-has-taken-huge-strides-in-the-development-and-e

Thanks for reading,

-VWE

posted by  VWE1o1

dont mock chevvy for not changing much in the years! look at Bentley!
i posted it before somewhere and bentley have made only a few changes to the arnage!
older one...
http://www.ssip.net/images/02..bentley.arnage.f34.500.jpg

new one...
http://www.babez.de/bentley/arnage/newtitel.jpg

posted by  True_Brit

I notice the vette seems to look more and more like a Viper every year, especially in the front 1/2.

i am so sick of vettes. 2 at every intersection. i wish chevy would learn the concept of supply and demand and make this car something to see, not just another fast car on the road.

posted by  mousegu

that really is the whole point

a fast car that you dont have to join a VIP club to buy

posted by  nighthawk

Im not picking on anyone but do you guys see my point? Or do you feel that it doesnt matter how much they change it? I think they should make general changes each year. Lets hear your thoughts, were here to talk about cars right.

posted by  VWE1o1

I appreciate your point and effort to actually talk about cars but you never really introduced yourself and all that jazz...

I think the corvette gets better every time they change it, Imagine what the C7 is going to be like:drool:

you can already get one for less than 85k with 505 horsepower

and the looks, aside from the new headlight design, I think it couldnt be better

posted by  nighthawk

Your right I should introduce myself.

As for Corvettes I love them, my cousin has one and its great.

I like looking from both veiwpoints, like in this case you can say that it keeps traditon by not making huge changes.

Which is good, or is it?:wink2:

posted by  VWE1o1

I have to say

GM will get shot at if they ever offer a flappy paddle gearbox

or a hybrid version

or a limited top speed

or any kind of futuristic look

well, maybe not shot at... but I wouldnt be impressed

posted by  nighthawk

I've noticed a couple of changes, but they're generally minor, like removing the pop-up headlights, making it lighter, more powerful, slightly shorter, etc...

posted by  chris_knows

and the fact it can be driven on english roads easier, with such obstacles like...CORNERS!!!!!:laughing:
http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/image15/a9_causwaymuir_flow_country_caithnes s.jpg

posted by  True_Brit

believe it or not but a lot of people consider the previous generation to handle just as well as the current ones, because of the transmission being towards the rear of the car = better weight dist.

posted by  nighthawk

The Corvette look is iconic. If they wouldve kept the Stringray body style without changing a thing throughout its entire life, I would be pleased.

posted by  PontiacFan27

http://www.corvetteconti.com/welcome/index.php?option=com_content&task=view &id=103&Itemid=47

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/08/23/2008-corvette-rumors/

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/FREE/60821015/1 024/LATESTNEWS
"Corvette: If 505 hp is good, will 600 hp be better?

Chevrolet will emerge with a "super Corvette" for the 2008 model year. The vehicle, code-named "Blue Devil," is expected to have considerably more power than the 505-hp Z06 and a price "well in excess" of any existing Corvette, company insiders say. The most expensive Vette today is the Z06, with a base price of $70,000, including shipping. How much horsepower? The number 600 has been bantered about, although no one at GM is saying."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050701.001/country/gm /chevrolet/corvette-blue-devil-spy-photos

I stumbled upon a few more a while back that I'm trying to find again.

posted by  Benson

dont ditch the vett the vett = my favorite car !!!!

posted by  Andrew0261

The ride has been slated before I believe....I won't mention the leaf suspension this time......:doh:

Just the fact that one can be seen at every intersection in the US tells me that Chevy is obviously doing something right, I mean, the current generation of drivers clearly like them.....

posted by  Cliffy

^^^i agree with that! obviously the chevy appeals to many people, who feel they deserve such metal! id choose it if i had the money! (and that i lived in america) but as i dont, ill have to choose a euro equivalent, a TVR sagaris maybe!

i actually like the styling of the new corvette especially the integrated head lights! in yellow too

posted by  True_Brit

Thats an essay? Sure its a valid argument, but by it's length, it doesnt really prove to be very professional. And look at it this way. Other car companies havent really totally redesigned their cars all that much either

example
http://images.consumerguide.com/autoreview/400x266/1998-2002-Toyota-Corolla -99812041990001.JPG
http://www.autointell-news.com/News-2002/January-2002/January-2002-3/Toyota -Corolla-S-2003-125.jpg

Not exactly a huge leap. Just a more bubbly body.

Or how about another example with the toyota. They have made the newest camry, almost the same as the previous generation avalon...watch

New camry
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/02/23/211469.2-lg.jpg

2005 avalon
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/07/24/138229.2-lg.jpg

Not a whole lot of changes...just slightly rounder lines

posted by  newyorker

nvm sorry

posted by  Bronxie

The design of the Corvette has always been evolutionary, and based around it's primary focus. the changes between generations have, however been substantial.

Most other sports car makers change the name of the car when they make substantial changes. But the best of them remain evolutionary, too. Look at the 911 series. From '63 to the late '90s, you could interchange door, glass, and roof panels! Even now, they are definitely patterned after the original Butzi Porsche designed coupes. The '06 911 looks closer to the '63 Porsche 911 than the '06 Corvette looks like the '63 model...

So, no, I don't think your point is reasonable.

posted by  ChrisV

Not only that, but an "essay" would include some kind of dates and factual information. His "essay" is more a rant than anything else. But to each his own.

posted by  newyorker

He had called it an 'article' in his first post. (which doesn't work for me..).

posted by  car_crazy89

Essay, article, etc. Basically means more than 4 sentences

posted by  newyorker

How did this thread change from the appearance of the Corvette to nitpicking about proper word usage?

posted by  PontiacFan27

lol you guys crack me up :laughing:
It doesnt matter what it is, maybe it is more of a rant, but who cares.
The whole point was for you to read it and give your thoughts.
Sorry the link died, but it seems no one wants to talk about the actually topic so it doesnt matter.

posted by  VWE1o1

Well I love the stingray and many people do and the fact that they kept the body style close is a great thing... but the car doesnt need many changes. Its going to be a style that stays for a long time. And the only Vettes I see anywhere around here are base and convertables :( which saddens me. I dont think I have ever seen a Z06 with my own eyes T_T. Most of the changes done to the car have been to let up on aerodynamics and give it more speed... Such as the elimination of flip up headlights. It gave quite a bit of resistance even tho many people dont think of it like that. But to whoever gets a corvette nextm, GET a Z06 please. Why would you buy a lesser version. just to have one?!?! grrr (stamps off steaming)

posted by  Blazin'Blazer

Well I think the Corvette has changed a lot since the time it was first produced.. but hasn't changed quite as much from the 70's till now as it had from the 50's to the 70's. It seems to have one of those 'love it or hate it' styles, which may be a reason why it appeals to one group of people and not another.. maybe with a few bigger changes more people would like it, but on the other hand those same bigger changes could ruin the Corvette name and no longer appeal to the followers they already have nor the ones they would be trying to get. personally I love it (or atleast most years of it), and think that those minor changes they have been making every now and then are all they need to do.

Hopefully that makes sense..

posted by  car_crazy89

Maybe because they can't afford the extra 10-20k for a Z06, maybe there is no need for that extra 100hp, maybe because they don't believe in having a dick measuring contest with their cars, oh yeah well I got the Z06, so I'm better.

posted by  Pythias

MSRP is 10k more. You'd be hard pressed to find a Z06 for anywhere close to MSRP.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Well its just my opinion tho so yeah... I just believe that if youre going to get a car why not get the top of the line, but again thats just my opinion... especialy if youre going to finance

posted by  Blazin'Blazer

I heard about this a few months ago, even before my issue of Motor Trend on it, under 3000lbs and 600hp sounds good, but for some reason, I think if it can make 505 n/a it should be able to easily break 650-700, although I know from the factory they like to keep things reservative (see Ford GT500) I would like to see 650-700. That would make it Legendary, and super-car status easily.

posted by  Pythias

I got it redocumented if anyone didnt get a chance to read my original (essay, article, horrible excuse for an article) what ever you want to call it here it is, enjoy.

http://www.heliumknowledge.com/tm/79252/during-the-last-couple-years-the-au tomotive-industry-has-taken-huge-strides-in-the-development-and-e

posted by  VWE1o1

I talked about the actual topic, but you didn't want to respond. Hmmm.

posted by  ChrisV

Ok, well then you deserve a response, although it is going to e more of a question.

I understand your point, and the way you look at it my point is invalid. So now here are my questions to you. Should Chevy make the corvette look more like the 63? also do you think Chevy should give it any major changes in the near future, or is the general body style it has now going to be the same for a number of years?

I like making people think :laughing:

posted by  VWE1o1

In the Porsche's case, it simply evolved over the years. The only nod to previous desigs was going back to pure oval headlamps on the newest ones, but that's simply making it cleaner.

In the Corvettte's case, the new one takes certain cues from the past Corvettes, but remains all new, and evolutionary. That's the path it should remain on.

There is simply no need to change the way it looks simply because some peopel think things HAVE to change every year or two. Hell, the Morgan +4 still looks like it did in the '30s... ;)

So I ask you, why do YOU think cars HAVE to change constantly, especially if they already work good? What's the obsession with making things look different simply because you think they need to look different?

posted by  ChrisV

I think the old vettes look better by far. Also if they would have kept the stingray design that would have been great because I think that had the nicest sleekest design. People like to see cars change designs because were in a generation where people get bored with things to easy and they always want the news hippest thing. There are cars that should change design and cars that shouldn't. At least when the corvette changes and improves over the years it still doesn't look that bad. My only objection for the new vettes is the back seems to fat vertically to me.

posted by  salimander13

I thought that about the last one, but the car's abilities overshadowned that. the new one, to me, looks about perfect in that regard, as it's less bulky than the C5.

posted by  ChrisV

I love the new corvettes. Maybe I should try to get one and stop looking at european cars :X

posted by  Bronxie

I think the corvette would be amazing if they gave it retro styling, but kept it high tech and high powered, taking styling cues from 70's models

:drool:

posted by  nighthawk

How do you update a retro car though? Do you leave it retro or what? How is ford gonna update the new Mustang, they just gonna juimp back to modern in 2010 oe whenever? How did volkswagen update the new beetle, some new headlights and bumpers I beleive.
I love the vette for what it is an inexpensive sports car that can run with the best of them. It got the best overall sports car in Road and Track a while back.
I do like the looks of the C5s more though. I love a good ole C5 Z05 or FRC. They looks so much better than the hatchbacks.

posted by  Enthusiast

I would think you update a retro car by just giving it more curves and a more aggressive look, as long as it still has that retro inspiration in its appearance, and I'm sure some day it will look nothing like the retro style they chose.

posted by  Bronxie

C4 Ftw

posted by  Pythias

Why not? No reason to merely "upadate" a car either, when replacing it altogether can be done. Hell, you probably don't rememeber when cars like the Corolla went from RWD to FWD, but kept the same name.

Or you can do subtle stuff if the car is still selling well. And use the retro design asa startign poiint. Cars like the Mustang may be "retro" in your mid, but they are aslo not old. They have thoroughly modern detailing, so it's easy to use that as a basis to start evolving from.

posted by  ChrisV

Yes but ford wont COMPLETELY replace the mustang probably for a very long while. The fox platform ran from 1979-2004. They did small changes every few years. New engine one year, new headlights the next, then a new body, after that a new engine.

I was curious as to how they would keep a retro body style and update it every few years until the completely new mustang comes out without making it completely hideous.

t seems the new one to come out in 09, I beleive, is going to be UGLY. It looks like they tried to remove some of the aesthetical weight by changing the front, while what was actually making th car appear heavy was the rear. The new design just generates an extremely off balance looking car that barely resembles a mustang. When I can find the new pic ill post it.
The gave the hood a steeper rake and shortend (vertically) the grill. It looks GOOFY

posted by  Enthusiast

Like this Mustang concept caught on the streets...

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2976460d.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

wow! i kinda like the shape! is it real? or is it a proto???

posted by  True_Brit

Prototype made by Italdesign in Italy. I'd change the tailllights and the side scoop, like this:

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2979807d.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

thats better! i suppose side exhaust outlets would make it look better?

posted by  True_Brit

I wouldn't say so.....it looks almost too high performance for its roots, if you know what I mean! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

That, is an amazing chop

just getting rid of the man standing in front of it is a great sccomplishment:soul:

posted by  nighthawk

That would be cool if they looked like that. I really don't like the new mustang's looks. I think it's the ass. It just makes the car look REALLY volumous (lol is that a word?)

posted by  Bronxie

Your Message