Good First Car

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Good First Car

Yeah, so I get my first car soon. I was looking at the mustangs, I can buy one, its just I don't have the cash for the insurance. SO I was either looking at the Toyota Yaris, or the Scion TC. I know theyre both customizilbe. I was wonderin,g what one drives smoother. I wouldbe gettign about 5,000 in addons, including maybe a supercharger. I would also eb egtting neon led for undernetah my car. WOuld that bump up the insurance rates? Also, are the chargers insurance rates as expensive as the mustangs? I'm just wondering. Thanks!

posted by  jlowe

If you want to know which drives smoother, test drive them both. If you plan on doing 5K in add-ons, then some suspension work should be on your list anyways, so it doesn't matter that much how it rides stock.

If you want to know the insurance rates, ask an insurance site. I doubt anyone on here can quote you off of the top of their head.

If you want my :2cents: (doesn't matter, you're going to get it) just get a Yaris or Scion, and keep it stock...more or less. Save your 5K for down the road when you have more experience. At that point you will have hit the insurance drop, so you can buy a nice Mustang that would blow any Yaris w/ 5K in upgrades out of the damned water. Not to mention the fact that 5K likely won't go too far on a Yaris. If you get a supercharger, you're going to need supporting mods too. A Yaris was built as a low power car, and the other parts of the car were not built to take that much power. To make use of that power you're going to need some good tires. Due to the fact that you want neons, I'm assuming you're also the type that needs big wheels. ~2K for a supercharger, and 3K for tires/wheels, and you've got no $ left over for a sweet type R sticker.

posted by  giant016

Oh god, not another one. A supercharger WOULD raise insurance, but if you do an aftermarket mod, the insurance company doesnt pop your hood and check. Example. You get a 1.8t jetta...insurance lets say is 200 a month...you get a 1.8 jetta....insurance is 130 a month...but then you can turbo the jetta, and insruance wont really know unless you tell them..as far as neon lights, they dont raise insurance, but where I live they are illegal to have on while driving. While parked its fine.

posted by  newyorker

Ad removed.

posted by  car parts

You must not be the brightest bulb of the bunch so I'll give you a hint, newyorker...quoting an ad is not the best way of dealing with it...it just makes 2 ads...k pookie?

hey i just thought id let you know noone cares:thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

:laughing: he didnt find that! he works for them or something
anyway, i would only look when the time comes, no point looking i advance when theres no problem with the car (you get what i mean?)

posted by  True_Brit

Let's see. You want to supercharge a yaris which only gets about 106horsepower. A good supercharger might add 7-8 psi, bumping you up to a whopping 140-150 horsepower.

The tc gets 160 horsepower. A good supercharger might bump you up to around 240. Think about these things!!!

The scion just looks better too, and obviously, it has toyota reliability.

posted by  Bronxie

I'd go for the Scion with an aftermarket turbocharger. You could get the tC with a supercharger from the factory, but insurance might find out about that. Turbos are more effective, so just get an aftermarket turbo setup.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I might get a mustang. Just the cheapests used one I find at a dealership. IT won't be a convertible though.
Unless I win the lottery.

posted by  jlowe

Turbo lag = bad :(

posted by  Bronxie

Turbo lag is NOT a problem if you pick an appropriatly sized turbo. I'd go with T3/T4 for a Scion tC. Parasitic loss, as with a supercharger, is a much worse problem considering that you only get around 7 psi of boost when its actually benefiting. With a T3/T4 you would be running on the engines power for what, 2500 RPM? Then it would start boosting and would benefit throughout the entire RPM range of the engine.

posted by  PontiacFan27

So what happens when you wrap it round a tree, somebody hits you, or you just require major repair work that would require an insurance assesor to look over it? Or even if you're pulled over by the Police and they tear the car apart and realise that the insurance is void? :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

:laughing: :clap: :orglaugh: Yeah right, ever heard of a thing called a warrant? The police can't just pull you over and start tearing your car apart because it looks suspicious, thats the stupidest thing I've heard in awhile.

posted by  Pythias

Maybe not in the US, but certainly in the UK it's quite acceptable for them to do if a car looks suspicious....afterall, for a Traffic Officer who knows what he's looking at....it wont take much tearing apart! :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

Are you sure about that? Have you heard of probable cause? I think once they pull you over they can ask you if they can search your car. If you say no they can hold you till the warrant arrives.

posted by  thefonz

Yes they CAN search your car from suspicion. It's rare, and generally they need a warrant, but if there is extreme suspicion, then they can. But it's not likely it would happen.

posted by  Bronxie

No they must first ask to search your car, and if you say no, they will require a warrant, and usually that takes sometime to get and usually instad of wasting time they will let you off, just as well extreme suspicion, as in someobody running around purging nitrous all over, not someone driving a different model jetta.

posted by  Pythias

Yep that's what I mean. They won't search your car without warrant for stupid shit, but if there is extreme suspicion, they can. Kind of dumb, because it is our constitutional right to not be searched without warrant, but there are loopholes I guess if a cop really wanted to be an ass hole. Then again, I am sure there are ways to protect us from that, like the cop would have to have a really damn good reason and I'm sure there could be legal repercussions if he/she doesn't.

posted by  Bronxie

Um you really are dumb they cant search your property without probable cause and a warrant, UNLESS you give them permission to. What is the difference between having a friend look through your car with permission and a cop looking through your car with your permission?

posted by  skeetin870

What..? How does the friend thing apply to this? I said cops CAN search your car without a warrant in very specific circumstances. That's it. I don't know what you're on about, sorry.

posted by  Bronxie

It seems to me that the law is very different over that side of the pond, given that Pythias hasn't responded to my last post in tghis thread, I can only assume he recognises this.....

posted by  Cliffy

In America, your property can only be searched if they have a warrant, if you give permission, or if you are under arrest. They CANNOT search for suspicion.

posted by  PontiacFan27

That's where it differs over here. Any Police Officer has the right to stop and search....anyone, permission or no permission :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

which i think is a better way of dealing with such things!

posted by  True_Brit

I agree. As far as I remember, they only need a warrent to search a premisses. Lets face it, if they mess around asking for permission etc at the road side, it would take up far too much time!

posted by  Cliffy

Ever read 1984?

posted by  PontiacFan27

You've lost me, lol

posted by  Cliffy

That reminds me about this documentary I saw on tv about the english parking patrols or whatever that give out tickets in London. They don't have authority basically, and the citizens harass them and scream at them and hit them, and they can't do anything. lol.

posted by  Bronxie

All of you need to read this article

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/pg/1/objectId/DED24689-ADA8-4785-887A0B4A19 A694DE/catId/268BB6A8-8884-4677-89869B6AD8A75ADA/104/143/127/ART/

and this one
http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/405/405lect04.htm

posted by  jackal2000

That's because although in London they're employed by the Met Police, they're only Police Support staff and as such have no powers. Same as our Police Community Support officers really....

PCSO (http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/pcso/overview.aspx)

posted by  Cliffy

Its one of your guys' most famous books. By George Orwell.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your Message