Horsepower Gain

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Horsepower Gain

1993 Ford Ranger, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, 5 spd.

I was wondering what I could do to free up some horsepower, I'm gonna be getting a chip that showed gains of 10-12 hp and then a K&N intake. What else is there that I can do that will maybe free up some weight and give me some more ponies? Has to be less than 500

posted by  99integra

cam? headers? nitrous? :wink2:

but really though, I cant think of too many different ways

posted by  nighthawk

You can get new exhaust. That shoud free up about 10 hp. A new throttle body. Im getting a new one for my car. Yjays would give you quicker throttle response and more air, which will free up some more hp's.Its about $530, little abouve your price range but I dont know it would be cheaper or more expensive for you vehicle. New exhaust, the K&N( like you said), hedders, camshaft, is about all I think of for under or a little bit abouve 500.

posted by  Dark knight

Horsies? Shouldn't be too difficult, lol....:joking:

posted by  Cliffy

Don't get headers, wouldn't want to waste your money on something you wont be able to use. Just get one header. :wink2:

posted by  PontiacFan27

Header- mid pipe so no cats
throttle body
intake
intake manifold if possible.

posted by  Pythias

I've been talkin with my dad about one of the newer 2.3 liters that push out about 120-130hp I forgot and then I could modify from that platform so I really don't know but keep throwin out suggestions thanks guys!

posted by  99integra

They don't make throttle bodies or the spacers for my engine, only the 4.0, same with the headers they only have them for the 3.0 and the 4.0 so uhh yea :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

...Then don't waste your time, stop spending money on useless sh*t, and either save up money and sell this truck for something more modifiable, or start looking into an engine swap, because pulling 10hp out of that truck would be a waste of time and money.

1993 Ford Ranger, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, 5 spd.

I was wondering what I could do to free up some horsepower, I'm gonna be getting a chip that showed gains of 10-12 hp and then a K&N intake. What else is there that I can do that will maybe free up some weight and give me some more ponies? Has to be less than 500

Wrong, a chip for your nearly stock truck will give you next to no power, I will put both my Mustangs on it, and this is something I thought you would've known by now, advertised usually means divide that by 5.. As for a K&N, just get the filter, the intake is just a waste of money. As for the weight, not a ton of weight to free up. Stop wasting your time and money on this truck, and if nothing else the engine.

posted by  Pythias

I forgot to say the chip put that out with a few mods at the same time my bad :laughing:, I could maybe run a 75 shot of nitrous safely couldn't I? And yeah your right it isn't a good platform but while I'm drivin it I might as well make it enjoyable

posted by  99integra

I dunno, 75 might be to big, and a small shot will be dry, which isn't as safe as a wet shot. If I were you, I'd forget about it, even with Nitrous, you'll be tempted to spray all the time, then you'll blwo the engine and have NOTHING to drive for sometime until you get money for another engine, all the while thinking damn, Tony was right. I mean to run nitrous safely you are going to retard your timing at the VERY least, and at the most getting a custom tune, and that would set you back 1,000++ depending on dyno time?

Seriously Steven, just drive it, it's a 4cyclinder truck, stop trying to modify it because it is a waste of time even thinking about it.

What you should be is thinking about where you EVENTUALLY want the car to be, and if you ARE going to keep it, then you will be swapping the engine eventually and you should be looking into that. Although by the time you have a decent job and have a decent inflow of income, chances are, you will move on, such as I am with my 88. And please don't come on here and post something denying this, because it is useless until you are in the position I just spoke of, with a decent income. I said for awhile, "man I'm gonna keep the 88' forever and just fix it up!" Wrong, things change, people change, situations change, as does your outlook on things, I know mine have, I'm currently looking into LS1 Camaro's and Chevy's. Yeah, me, who'da thought?

posted by  Pythias

Eh you're right I really would like to get either an 80's style 240sx hatch, civic hatch like Elchangos (sp?), 300zx N/A, Civic EX (the ones that have an edgier rear end i love them), Altima or an SE-R so yeah I'm already bored with it :laughing: but its a nice starter vehicle

posted by  99integra

why dont you just swap a turbo coupe or a merkur engine into it. then you will have something to work with.

posted by  glagon1979

Haha, all the blue oval boys eventually come over to the dark side:hi:

Would a 5.0 swap for the Ranger be easy? Just thinking out loud here, but they couldn't be that pricey, and their are oodles of mods for it. Just throwing out ideas here, so don't :cussing:

posted by  giant016

Which one's? gimme years or a pic.

posted by  elchango36

What do you currently get? Is this a Mazda engine or US genre?

I don't know much about any 2.3 litre, but I would expect if it is jap pedigree you would be looking at 90kW in sedan form and maybe 80kW in pickup (designed for more power at lower revs = more torque potential). So I guess you rarely use the vehicle for it's intended purpose and want to get some tailgate action? Cheap mods rarely result in much gain, unless you are doing the labour yourself.

Chances are the cam is relatively short duration short overlap. If the engine is OHC with rockers, you might get a quick gain simply by changing the rocker ratio up a decimal point.

The TBs on most run of the mill cars will strangle air flow and you should look at replacing, however you may need to employ a SAFC type controller to maintain fueling and/or timing. The snorkel, plenum spigot and filter box intakes need to have a greater cross sectional area than the TB (measured at the choke/throttle plate).

The exhaust side changes rarely result in significant gains, although the increased noise certainly provides the perception that there has been. Young blokes will swear by this mod as they change their driving habits to gear change by growl. They will even produce a dyno chart to prove it. Maybe a set of port balancing extractors is the go here, but expect to rev a little harder. Of course the intermediate and tail pipes will need to be looked at too.

Beware the Ebay resistor that changes the intake air temp sensor reading. When the engine gives up the ghost from either bore wash or burnt exhaust valves, the seller won't be there for you to repair under warranty.

posted by  Wally

I love your car I want it like whoa soo uhh lemme know when you sell her :laughing:

http://www.imp-dome.com/DUDES/97hcc.rr.JPG

That style :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Thanks!:thumbs:

I see you fancy the 6th gens. Not bad.:wink2: Check your PM's in about 5 minutes.

posted by  elchango36

Just because its not worth it to you doesn't mean its not worth it to him. The chip would advance timing and modify the fuel maps, which would give power. For the throttle body, you can always find someone to bore it out for you. Its alot cheaper than buying a whole new bigger one.

posted by  PontiacFan27

An open question to everyone involved in this thread.

Why are you wasting your time? How many times has little Steven asked about performance mods for his truck (and even cars he didn't own a long time ago) and then drop the subject... Only to ask the same question again, and then drop the subject? You might as well try explaining brain surgery to me, because I'll never try THAT either. :banghead:

As you were.

posted by  vwhobo

Ehh..it's mostly spur of the moment when I think of these things :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

We live in hope of you getting your hands dirty. :wink2:

posted by  Wally

....>True.

posted by  Pythias

really they make headers for the 3.0 i have been lookin all over for then i cant find em if ya got a link shoot it to me

posted by  chillmiller

Your Message