'03 Ford Focus 5 speed

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  '03 Ford Focus 5 speed

Hi, I'm trying to make my car more fun to drive/ faster. The car is a 2003 Ford Focus 5 speed with the 2.3L engine. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I dont plan on spending more than $1200, so any suggestions above this price are appreciated, but useless for now. Thanks in advance for your responses.

posted by  cripes0103

any suggestions?

posted by  cripes0103

i thought in 03 the only engine was the 2.0 Ztec... and the 2.0 SVT. Wasnt the 2.3 only available 06 to now on the ST?

posted by  jaydez

no, the 2.3L was made available in the mid 2003 model year. so any suggestions now that you know the engine size?

posted by  cripes0103

Is it the same Mazda 2.3 that is used in the ST today? If it is, im retty sure any mazda 3 parts would fit it.... i think....

if you are looking for performance the normal exhaust, intake stuff will work... or a computer reflash.

if you are looking for handing, lowing springs, swaybar, socks ext will do that.

posted by  jaydez

to be honest, im not exactly sure if its the same engine, but i think it is a different engine, seeing as the output of the mazda is 156hp and the focus is 145hp.

posted by  cripes0103

to be honest, im not exactly sure if its the same engine, but i think it is a different engine, seeing as the output of the mazda is 156hp and the focus is 145hp.

posted by  cripes0103

the engine can be the same, just mazda may have fiddled with it to produce a higher output!
i thought the ST is a Volvo 5cyl engine (is here in europe anyway)

posted by  True_Brit

the diff in the the 2.3 now is the Mazda has VVT and the focus does not.

unfortunately, out focus still sucks so we don't have the Volvo 5cyl... we still have to go to Volvo for that.

posted by  jaydez

Turbo.

posted by  Valter

Nitrous Oxide

posted by  newyorker

make an srt-10 engine fit in there

posted by  Bronxie

Why srt-10. Why not srt-8, or srt-6, or even 4. I dont know if you knew this, but srt series is dodge, while he has a ford lol

posted by  newyorker

Read the saying below his nickname.

posted by  Valter

oooh... or he can make a replica of the RS8... the kit and stuff is out there.

posted by  jaydez

I second the cold air intake along with a more open exhaust. i had a 2001 focus and i loved that car. best of luck to you.

posted by  smiley100480

thanks for the replies, and just some comments on some of them. the nitros oxide, im not gona mess with that right now, turbo chargers are around 4000 i believe for a 2003 focus, and an engine replacement is kind of out of the question for the time being. the new exhaust and cold air intake is what im going to do i think, and i might put some performace pulleys in too. that sound good to you guys? i can get all that for around $750

posted by  cripes0103

You and someone else said "turbo" and "nitrous oxide" so I was following the trend of making suggestions that are radical and outrageous performance enhancers...lol. I was joking, basically.

And that's why I said "make it" fit :P

posted by  Bronxie

I could turbo a Focus for 1200 if it was my car.

But for now, just the basic filter and exhaust will do.

posted by  Valter

hmm, how could you do that? im sorry, im not too tech savvy with cars. i know some basics, but havnt done any work on a car.

posted by  cripes0103

If I was tight on budget, I'd buy an used exhaust manifold and used/new turbocharger.

posted by  Valter

a nitrous system on a stock focus is a bad idea without beefing up the engine. otherwise youll blow it easily with a 100 shot of nitrous. cold air intake is a good idea for about 5 to 10 extra hp. also a new exhaust will add another 7 to 10 extra hp. add some spark plug wires for another 3-6 hp. also a digital programer is a great idea for alot of extra hp pending on what you set it on. another good idea would be to add an intercooler for spending a little more money. like i said a nitrous system will add a quick and cheap 100+ hp to your car but it will also blow the engine of a focus. spend even more money get a turbo. i have a focus. its a 2003 ZX3 hatchback. ive done all this and more to mine so i know these stats like the back of my hand.

posted by  FocusMan

Your Message