bell housing

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  bell housing

ok i'm going to make this as un-confusing as possible. i recently bought an 84 f150 4x4 4spd 302. i was out beating the crap out of it and blew the engine. i also have a 78 f150 4x4 auto 400ci that i want to take the engine out of and put in my 84. heres my problem, i want to keep it 4spd and the bell housing from the 302 will not bolt up. what i want to know is if i find a bell housing to fit the 400, will it bolt up to the trans in the 84? please let me know if i left anything out. TIA :thumbs:

posted by  glagon1979

Yes, as long as you get a big block bell housing for an earlier truck you'll be okay. Your transmission is probably a New Process with the four bolt rectangular pattern. You have to stay away from later model stuff, say early '90's and newer.

Doesn't your Hollander interchange confirm that?

posted by  vwhobo

kinda it does but it breaks it up into different years and it even gives a different part # for 82-87. i was just curious if the later stuff would work as long as i get one from a 351m or a 400. also will one from a 351w work as it will not tell me that either?

posted by  glagon1979

That'll be a big negatory on the 351W. The Windsor uses the same small block bolt pattern as the 302. The only reason I can think of for the different part number would be a different style release lever, or more likely the change from standard to metric hardware.

posted by  vwhobo

cool, thanks hobo :thumbs:

posted by  glagon1979

Your Message