Mustang help

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Mustang help

Well, looking for my first car. Pretty set on a Mustang ( like everyone else ). Ive seen a few I like mostly range from 1994-1997 so its the same generation. Its a normal mustang so its a V6. Now. I really want to work on the engine, but would working on a V6 be worth it to get a nice decent gain in performance and sound, or just saving for a V8 and dropping it in be better. Now you ask why not get a Mustang GT? Insurance + $$. Thanks :mrgreen:

posted by  RedPhoenix

Everyone else??? :doh: :banghead: :screwy:

posted by  BavarianWheels

lol. Everyone at my school either wants one or has it.

posted by  RedPhoenix

Should I gather then that you are a follower and not a trend setter?

Think "outside the box" and go against popular thought...go out on a limb and be different. Try a Fiat X19 (my first car)...or something...

Well, I love Mustangs, and I have a deal going with a guy at the moment, so we will see how that goes. Anyways, answer to my original question?

posted by  RedPhoenix

Well dropping in a V8 engine (GT) into a "regular" Mustang would be good...until something happens and your insurance company finds out you've dupped them on what you are driving. I know for AAA (my ins. co.) any modifications done to the vehicle in changing out the engine (other than the same type) without their knowledge would render my policy null and void on that vehicle. In the least, they would only replace it with the V6 that came with your policy. You cannot insure a vehicle with a high-output V8 engine and expect to only pay the "V6" price...especially if you are young and prone to being heavy-footed.

RIght, I got you. I understand that. I guess the best thing would be to tell them. Well, now, what kind of engine would I be looking for? Dont know much, but learning slowly. What would fit?

posted by  RedPhoenix

Almost anything would "fit". It depends on your pocket book.

how about $1500 or less?

posted by  RedPhoenix

If you are going to buy the car, and then tell the insurance company that you are modding it with a different engine, get the version with that engine in it stock. Cheaper all around, and vastly less headache. Save the engine swaps for something unique, like a 5.0 in an RX7 or a Lexus V8 in a Fiat 124...

OTOH, there are a number of mods to the V6 Mustang that turn it into a relatively quick car. If any other company had a RWD, V6, 2+2 coupe for sale for under $15k, with a huge aftermarket, it would be considered the steal of a lifetime. But because there are factory V8 Mustangs available, the V6 version is looked on as crap. No matter that in stock form they are no slower than a normally aspirated RX7 or 240SX...

posted by  ChrisV

Only reason ill get the V6 over the V8, because im going to get a deal on the V6, making a V8 about $3,000 + more. Well what can I do to the V6 to make it faster. Once again my n00bness kicks in. Turbocharge, cold air intake, what else?

posted by  RedPhoenix

There are supercharger and turbocharger kits, cam upgrades, exhaust upgrades, ECU mods, etc. Anything that can be done to any car, really.

But here's the deal. Yoiu can get this V6 for a deal that makes it $3k cheaper than the V8. But immediately spending $1500 makes the difference much more minor, AND the amount of labor to do any serious swap has to come into play. You COULD talk a dealer/owner of a V8 car down a bit to come close enough to the cost of the V6 car PLUS upgrades. And then there wouldn't be any hassles... Something to think about.

posted by  ChrisV

oh yes everyone at MY school drives or wants a tang'

oh and to the guy who posted this, why not get a 5.0 L mustang, parts for those are endless and five liters HAUL
:thumbs:

posted by  79-Cheyenne

Hey Red, forget the six and hold off for a v-8. You will never regret it. There are usually other differences in the two other than just the motor. Like the 8's usually have a diff suspension, heavier rear-end, diff wheels etc...

Don't like the older ones?

posted by  stepman

I know your probably really wanting something sooner then later.... but here is the way I see it. If your gonna pick up a V-6, then immediatly drop $1500 into it.. your only 1500 shy of picking up the V8 in the first place. Anything worth having is worth the extra wait. And like it was said earlier... the suspension, brakes, exhaust, and all the other tid-bits that come with a V8 would just be gravy.

posted by  USAF-Sergeant

Okay yeah, so I have the V-6 im my stang too. But, I AM planning on an engine swap. The car is mainly for modding show-wise. I'll get into the whole speed thing later, when its paid off and I can tell the ins company. Anyways, it'll be worth it cause unless I opt for an 03 Cobra, the 5.4L I am gonna shoehorn into my 01 pony is gonna take any GT, any day.

posted by  2001STANGPLAYA

until the day you run against a guy with a purpose built 700+hp supercharged 4.6 and the whole car looks sleepy stock. don't think they aren't out there because they are.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

I bough a 2000 V6 mustang the last time I was on leave for 6,700. Do not spend more than $7000. Insurance is not cheap after the tickets with my '66 Chevelle, even with a V6. Go with the V6 and look at 3.8mustang.com, and supersixmotorsports.com. They deal with V6 mustangs. You can build a 'stang to keep up quite nice with a GT. It just depends on how far you want to go with the V6, but keep in mind it will no be a cheap venture. If you want the V8 save and buy a car with a V8 in it.

posted by  mustang-kid

Kenny Brown makes a kit for v-6 stangs, full exhaust, cold air intake, and gears....claims to make it faster than GT's for less $$$$. I also found a site that has turbo kits for the six-banger stang....i think the name of the company was proficient airflow or something...i don't know it's been awhile.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

you can get a V6 for dirt cheap, but if you really want that v8...why not try 96-98 GT's? or even a 99 GT all will be below $10,000 or very close to it!

I still don't quite understand the insurance on the 96-98 V6 'stangs...it makes no sense...they lacked power big time (power to weight), were pretty safe (4 star crash tests)...but I guess the two doors and the mustang name are what drive up the insurance on them :doh:

posted by  DTMach1

Your Message