Mustang Vs. Camaro

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Mustang Vs. Camaro

Yeah well im 15 and i want to get my first car soon. So i was wondering which is a better car. A camaro or a mustang. Interms of speed and how durable they are. im open to other suggestions so anything in that price range that you guys think is better...::wink2:

oh and it doesnt have ot be domestic it can be any kind of car.

posted by  infamous

In terms of speed, if you wrap either car around a tree at 60mph....It gonna hurt :thumbs:

Why go for such muscular cars? Are you seriously contemplating it, or are you a wishfull thinker?

posted by  Cliffy

yes. not really the camaro though. i would like either a 2001 cobra mustang or a mach 1 2003..

why because there fast and im only 15?

posted by  infamous

That is exacly why I said what I did in my first response. You want a fast var, end of story. 15yr olds and fast cars generally dont go well together, and how are you funding this car?....if it exists :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

yeah i turn 16 in less then a month.

my parents are going to hopefully buy it for me.

how much do used 2001 cobras go for in good condition? like 15gs?

posted by  infamous

emphasis on hopefully lmao

if they buy you a cobra they need slapped in the face. :screwy:

posted by  jackal2000

I prefer the Camaro actually. A 1997, 3.8L would be...too much for you lol.

posted by  chris_knows

I should have a 98 Z28 T tops LS1 in 3 weeks. :hi:

posted by  Pythias

:drool: Put pics up when you get it!!

posted by  chris_knows

i learned how to drive on my homebois 98 ss camaro because my parents allways said i had to get my grades up before they would teach me how to drive so i would just go over to his house and drive his and i just kinda taught myself how to drive so yeah idk...

posted by  infamous

Your homeboi? Is that a friend of some sort? :doh:

posted by  Cliffy

I think you'd better start out with a Honda Civic.

posted by  Pythias

I agree....it'll stiff feel like a rocket ship to him, too, lol. Bit like all first cars really....I know my 1984 Corolla did! :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

yes..it is a friend

posted by  infamous

honda civic huh...

u what is exactly is a super charger? i know it makes a car faster but what is it

posted by  infamous

Google it, we aren't here to spoon-feed you information, especially information so readily available at about 3 clicks of a mouse.

posted by  Pythias

Lucky for you I don't want to be VWHobos butt boy, so unlike him and his ass-pals I'll tell you where to find that info. Check Howstuffworks.com, it has the answer to your question plus much more information you'll want to check out.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I hope you aren't refferring to me, becuase if so that is a pretty ignorant comment.

The answer to his question and or questions are VERY readily available by simply LOOKING for it, google, yahoo, any major search engine.

posted by  Pythias

That was referring to you. Sure, he could've searched on google but whats wrong with asking a real person for help? Especially if he reads about it and has other questions related to it where it might be hard to find the exact answer he needs.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Exactly, maybe he should go read up about it, THEN once he understands how it works and has more advanced questions he can ask here, simply asking ummm durr how does a supercharger work is just laziness, you really need to be banned again oomba, you're just a ****ing idiot, I dunno whose worse, you or "what".

posted by  Pythias1

Pythias*1* why can't you just shut up and stay banned.

Infamous, if you have anymore questions, I'll answer them. As a true car guy, I am more than willing to offer live feedback on your inquiries.

posted by  Monsta

Funny you should mention being banned, "Monsta" why couldn't you just shut up and stay banned? Or is there some other reason you're under that name "Monsta"? :thumbs:

I got banned for a stupid bullshit reason, and banned only for 1 day. What about you?

posted by  Pythias1

A supercharger is a force air induction system that boosts engine power substantially. They're pretty expensive, generally.

I don't see what's wrong with him asking. Remember, if someone has no clue what something is, and he is receiving help from people like us, why would he go research? In the time it took one of you ass holes to be like, "GO GOOGLE IT/YAHOO IT" and then reply to someone who thought you were an ass hole for saying that, you could have explained in a simple sentence what a supercharger is.

Who was the one that decided car-forums is for "more advanced" questions? And who decides what "advanced" is? That's all a matter of perspective.

posted by  Bronxie

Why is it that some people think that when others believe that members should use their own initiative sometimes, they're accused of arse licking vwhobo? For the record, it's of common belief that members should take it upon themselves to search Google (other good search engines are available :laughing:) for easy to find information once in a while. If other CF'ers want to answer a simple question, they can, but I just hate how some others think everybody is 'following' hobo, as right as he is, almost as if they don't have a mind of their own...

posted by  Cliffy

In terms of speed, for fourth gen. Camaro Vs. same era Mustang
Mustang V6 < Camaro V6 < Mustang GT < Camaro Z28 = 1999-01 Cobra = Mach 1 < 03-04 Cobra

There's a good deal of battling about whats faster between the 99-01 Cobras, the Mach 1s and Z28s. There all pretty damned close. It's not really a good idea for this to be your first car, even if you've driven an LS1 before. I got one when I was 17, and have no tickets/accidents, but I am in a very rare crowd. Be honset with yourself, are you going to try do to something stupid? Remember, honest.

posted by  giant016

um know i definetly wouldnt want to do anything that would take my car away or prevent me from driving it...

why dont cars come with super chargers? or do more expensive cars such a porches come equiped with them?

posted by  infamous

Plenty of cars come supercharged from the factory, including the 03-04 Cobra I mentioned.

posted by  giant016

infamous man I really dont want to bash you but you really shouldnt get a fast car as your first car. I generally believe that a fast car sould only be given to a kid with a history in motorsports. I did and I still didnt get my fast car till I was 18.
Dont get the cobra Im positive itd be to much for you, the GTs though really arent that fast at all especially if you get the SN-95 body style, so you may be okay with one of those.

It really all depends on your maturity level.
I do recoment you get somethign RWD though and a V6 Camaro seems liek a good choice. They arent slugs (200 Hp), you can get a manual, and you can learn about RWD cars.

Some of my buddies went from their first car which was FWD to Z28 and GTs and they ended up hurting themselves.

posted by  Enthusiast

Moms everywhere nod head in agreement. :clap:

posted by  boothe

I can agree with this fully. First car a slow ass 3.4li V6 Firebird, then went to a 88 Mustang Gt ( some more power but not really a ton as it was an auto vert', then the 95Gt 5 speed coupe I had was a whole other car. When I first got it I didn't really know it's capabilites (or mine for that matter). It was a 5 speed (my first 5 speed sports car) with a spec stage 3 racing clutch to boot. Took some time but I gradually learned it and can now drive it as a I please. Jumping straight into a fast car, I wouldn't recommend to anyone that likes speed. There will always be those people out there who don't care much about speed or anything else and could be stuck in a Corvette from day 1 and still simply do the speed limit, but that bunch is rare, for the rest of us, those of us who are into speed but are inexperienced, it must be taken one step at a time. Because cars, like most dangerous things... are unforgiving.

Although usually jumping straight into something like that, most people with common sense, when they get a taste of the power a new car holds it scares them in a way, to take it slower, and not just try to screw around, thats how it was for me anyway, being able to peel off brand new 275's in first gear being stock gears was pretty new to me.

posted by  Pythias

I think even at 18 yrs old, a powerfull car is a mistake, unless the driver is mature enough to know that he is fundermentally in control of a killing machine!

posted by  Cliffy

that is too true, i believe a fast/powerful car should be bought/given to someone maybe in the mid 20's when they have road experience!!!
which is why i have a 1.8 vauxhall!

posted by  True_Brit

That's right! You are lucky to have a car with a 1.8-litre engine. My first car was a 1984 Peugeot 104....fair enough I never drove that one, but when I pased my test at 19 yrs old, I could only scrape together the £100 that my collegue was asking for his 1984 Toyota Corolla 1.3...I was on an apprentice wage of £50 per week at the time, lol :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Try and convince him all you want, but when a 15 year old has his mind set on something and he is going to be stubborn about it, let him do what he wants. Let him wrap a car around a pole.

posted by  Benson

No, thats just because you live in a country with inferior cars and high gas prices.

posted by  Benson

whats inferior about the cars we have???

posted by  True_Brit

You consider a 3.0L engine to be big.

posted by  Benson

LOl, i love this. when i was 16 and i got my license i wanted a mustang to. But i got my brothers 92 buick century and was disappointed. i turned 18 and saved enought money to buy my OWN (not parents bought) car and got a grand am with a v6. Then i got my first speeding ticket, insurance bill then filled up the gas tank. now at the age of 18 i now realize that the 92 buick was the better car. trust me kid. dont go for a mustang a fast car isn't always a good car.

posted by  neil3184

Its all about attitude and maturity. I went from a V6 firebird to a V8 ,mustang convertible to a V8 5 speed mustang and now to a Camaro next. Guess how many speeding tickets?

posted by  Pythias

16yo+Fast muscle car=http://www.consumershero.com/image_wp/car_accident_pictures/12_5-01.jpg

the ironic thing for this was the caption was 16 year old killed in mustang when looking for it.

posted by  Spanky2324

[QUOTE=Spanky2324]16yo+Fast muscle car=http://www.consumershero.com/image_wp/car_accident_pictures/12_5-01.jpg

the ironic thing for this was the caption was 16 year old killed in mustang when looking for it.[/QUOTE
omfg that poor mustang!!! im scared for my mustang now =(

posted by  Andrew0261

Well then i suggest don't drive your mustang like a tard:thumbs:

posted by  Spanky2324

It is a big engine.....I consider British cars to be inferior...but not all cars sold here, just the Brit ones...like Rover, or Over as they're known now :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

On the flip side, when I was 16 I had a race car, a street car (which I promptly traded for a 351C powered '71 Torino GT that I swapped a built 429CJ into). No speeding tickets, no crashes, just a 7+ liter musclecar that I drove to school.

posted by  ChrisV

Things were different in your day though, Chris :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

You're friggin' fifteen years old. You shouldn't have either one. Get a cavalier, and then you won't kill anyone other than yourself when you wreck.

posted by  smallangryneon

Seeing as that the cause of most teen accidents isn’t “owning high powered sports cars”, you would probably fair better from saying something along the lines of not drinking and driving or don’t carry too many passengers. I guess it would take to much time to research the facts. You’d rather just blurt out random information that you see fit to direct a 16yr old kid when most of you aren’t even old enough to take care of your own selves.

Open a newspaper and read all the stories of teen car crashes that end in fatalities and you’ll find that very few of them have anything to do with a high powered car at all. Most are just negligent drivers, involved with alcohol, or other distraction related driving habits.

The size of your engine has very little to do with it, because I’ve seen a lot of lives lost with ordinary cars being wrapped around poles.

posted by  DSMer

Fer Pete's sake. I was 16 once; I know what 16-year-olds like to do with high-powered cars. It's a simple fact that teenagers are better in slow cars than in fast ones, unless they are both abnormally mature and extremely skilled drivers.

posted by  smallangryneon

I dont think a fast car at 18 is a bad idea. I think a fast car at any age is a bad idea if you have an immature driver. I was only saying that some people have a history in motorsports or are extremely mature and can handle a Z28 at 16 or hell a Murcielago. I drove my truck for two years to appease my father and then I got my "fast" car.
I got a 6M Z28 no tickets and no wrecks. I will begin takin it to the road course in February to run with the race bikes and exotics and be frequenting that track in the following years. Here in the near futur I will be poking and stroking the engine to probably 6.3 L and possibly doing a home built turbo setup or just a wicked HIGH RPM N/A setup. I will be all of 19 years old.

I dont think things are different from ChrisVs time. One of my best friends of 18 years of age drives a 02 Z28 with 600rwhp coming from 455 cubic inches of Naturally aspirated LS2 and its all routed through a 6M. He has yet to hurt this car and hes been driving for quite some time, and the one time he got pulled over the police man let him go because he was in awe of the car. There are still people who are young and are mature enough to drive a wicked car everyday and not kill anyone. Im sure in ChrisVs time there were still a bunch of idiot kids hurting themselves in cars they had no bussiness being in.

posted by  Enthusiast

I know that some cars are difficult to handle...my dad has an 01 honda accord and going 70mph it is SCARY. You just don't feel much control or feel. Maybe that's the cause for some accidents?

posted by  Bronxie

Do you have some proof to back up that statment or are you just talking out of your ass? Because from what IS known to be fact, all cars are able to go fast enough to kill you. Regardless if you get to that speed in 4 seconds or 10...

posted by  DSMer

Yeah, Insurance companies don't invest the time to research the facts.

You don't get it. There may be causes that don't relate directly to power, but there IS a correlation between owning a fast car and accident/death ratio. So, you wanna have a better chance of living? Drive a camry, not a camaro.

Leave the technicalities alone.

posted by  Godlaus

dude if you dont know what it is don't get it! Get a few years of driving under your belt and some knowledge about cars. I'm only 19 and if I would of had a camaro ss for my first car I wouldn't be. By the way a supercharger forces pressurized air into the intake and is driven by a belt from the crankshaft.

posted by  fordslayer87

One can only assume he's already wrapped said powerfull car round a tree, as he hasn't been here sinse asking the question at the end of last year, lol :wink2:

posted by  Cliffy

If they would put their high powered car in danger, they would no doubt do the same thing in a slower car. Both of which could easily be fatal.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Fo shizzle.

But the argument is that it's easier to do it in the high powered car and therefore they are more likely to do it.

posted by  Bronxie

Not easier by much. It's easy to make any car wreck. A buddy of mine back in my hayday when we were 19 had a brand new Cavalier for 2 weeks before he wrecked it. Was racing at 80, slammed on the brakes and somehow skidded into and over a curb, and then flipped 3 times after he hit a fire hydrant. Needless to say the car was totaled.

So really, I would say that it depends on the driver. Some can handle a car with power, some can't. It depends more on the driver himself than driving time. Remember, time != experience.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I agree that it's easier with having all that power at your disposal, especially at such a young age, however, I also see what PontiacFan is saying too, as numerous accidents occur in lower powered cars aswell. I guess it really all depends on the maturity of the driver!

posted by  Cliffy

I had been with a Mustang for more than a decade and I can't say anything bad about it.

posted by  drivingmazda

Your Message