turboing a mustang 2.3?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  turboing a mustang 2.3?

ok well i been looking up turbos for a Mustang LX with a 2.3 in it just wondering if you all could help me with
How much money could it run me for a decent turbo and how much boost can it handle max how much of a HP gain can i expect from it and do you know were i could get a turbo at like out of a junk car or a decent priced kit

Thanks guys!

posted by  Andrew0261

Why don't you just take the 2.3 turbo out of a Merker or an SVO Mustang and drop it in?

posted by  99integra

and about how much would it cost to get one of these off a junked car? and what about HP gain?

posted by  Andrew0261

Anywhere from $500 to $1000 for a complete engine with all electronics and even intercooler. HP gain? Double with no mods, up to 400 streetable hp farly easily.

BUT, and take this for what it's worth, the 2.3, especially in turbo form, weighs as much as a 5.0 with the aluminum intake manifold, and gets no better fuel mileage.

posted by  ChrisV

you are better off looking for an 87 or 88 turbocoupe. they are everywhere and chapper than an SVO or XR4Ti

posted by  jaydez

no im not looking for another car i already have this one

posted by  Andrew0261

not for the car... for the 2.3 turbo motor. the stang is a better body to put it in.

posted by  jaydez

o i see ill look into that

posted by  Andrew0261

i also have a mustang with a 2.3 is there anyway to turbo it without doing a engine swap?

posted by  Mustang46

You can pretty much turbo any engine, although there will be hard limits to the amount of boost you can run. On pulp (e,g, 98Ron) you want your dynamic compression ratio to be around 7.5 for boost applications, go lower (e.g 6.5) if you intend running bland fuel . This can be achieved by increasing the clearance volume of the head, or if you are lucky .. by swapping the cam for a later inlet closing, preferably with higher lift: because of the later closing angle the low range torque will tail off a bit.

You will need to get control of the fueling and probably run at least about 5% CO to keep the engine cool. Spark will need to be looked at and so too will the squirters, fuel pump, etc

posted by  Wally

well i been thinking about just slapin on a turbo than doing a whole swap so.... im guessing it can only handle a max of 8lb of boost or so and my newest question is how much would just a slap on cost me and how much of a HP gain these engines run about 90hp stock

posted by  Andrew0261

well i been thinking about just slapin on a turbo than doing a whole swap so.... im guessing it can only handle a max of 8lb of boost or so and my newest question is how much would just a slap on cost me and how much of a HP gain these engines run about 90hp stock

posted by  Andrew0261

Without giving it too much thought, you would probably yeild in the order of 130%, but you need to look at your fueling and spark regardless.

posted by  Wally

im trying to make it atlest 200HP but 150 can do to think this could get me there?

posted by  Andrew0261

anyone care to answer?? if this wont get me there what would without a engine swap

posted by  Andrew0261

It would be very careless if I were to advocate boosting the engine. I have no intimate knowledge of the engine. For all I know it could be a lousy design with lousy geometry and lousy internals. If it was jap spec I might try it as a lark, but even then I wouldn't expect much longivity.

posted by  Wally

There have been numerous turbo versions of that engine from the factory. the earliest were simply carbed with a turbo added, and rated about 130 hp. That would be the simplest route if you wanted to turbo your stock engine, and follow factory precedent. otherwise, start with the factory turbo parts for the SVO, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, or Merkur (Sierra) XR4Ti, where relatively huge power can be had for fairly cheap. The non-intercooled 2.3 turbo topped out at 155 hp in factory trim in '85-86, then up to 190 in '87 (for the manual trans version, only 150 for the automatic) in the T bird and 200+ in the SVO. Aftermarket tuners have gotten easy 400 hp and not-so-easy 700 hp from these engines.

posted by  ChrisV

lol bout ready to say screw it and just take the 2.3 out then stick a 5.0 in it then afterward stick a turbo on that there i got all the power i need rofl

posted by  Andrew0261

Your Message