advice on a good car for under 2500

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  advice on a good car for under 2500

im lookin for a car that i can modify for racing but still be street legal im lookin for a front wheel drive car most of the cars ive looked at have over 180000 miles and engine problems so any advice would be great :thumbs:

posted by  nate wesselink

Just an observation here...but you seem to be looking for a hell of a lot of cars....:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

really im only looking for one car but i want to find one that will last me more than 10 years and one that i can customise for my style of driving so any info would be great

Seriously, check out Probe GTs. They're one of the few cars with balls for under 2500 in decent condition.

posted by  PontiacFan27

You've got to make compromises. You said in another post your limit was $2500. It's going to be hard to find a car that will be reliable for 10 years for that price, nevermind if you're going to be racing it. My votes for a Civic anyways.

posted by  giant016

ive thought about getting a civic but around where i live therre are too many people here drive them and i want something that people dont see to often and that will turn heads and have people in awe when i get it fixed up so the civic is really nice but there a dime a dozen around here and i could get one right now for 1800 so there real common in AR and its not like im going to be racing oin a daily basis it might be a once a month drag strip thing i dont know yet
and on another note up north the probes where common but ive only seen a few sence ive moved id love to have one but i cant find one

You can find them on Probe forums really easily. Try Probetalk.com (not trying to advertise, just giving the kid some info), thats the most popular one. They have a good for sale section and localized boards. I used to be a member there back in the day. Civics are expensive for what they are. You'll end up paying all your money on a bad condition Civic with barely 100 base hp to work with. Civics can be good, but it takes a good deal of work.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I can't think of anything that will last 10 years as a daily driver and will turn heads for 2500.

You can always rice up your civic, that will turn heads even when you're idling.

posted by  Bronxie

Another vote for the Probe GT or its brother a Mazda MX6 I believe not so sure on that though.

posted by  Enthusiast

Yeah. MX6s have 1" smaller wheels(and a good deal thinner) and more comfortable suspension, but its also a little lighter.

1st gen Probe GTs are a little faster than the second gens, the kickass second gen 16" wheels can go on it, and its turbo stock. The 1st gens turbo is small, better suited for a lawn mower, but a T3 or even the Thunderbird turbo can be swapped for cheap and give it a real boost. Plus, the FE3 motor, either from Japan or from USDM Kia Sportage can make 500 hp easy. The 1st gens also dont have the pesky problem with transmissions blowing up at 350 horsepower, too.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Yeah my transmission blowing up is one of my biggest pet peeves.

posted by  Bronxie

Know how you feel about trannies blowin up. It was just an excuse for me to rebuild it with viper parts though. :hi:

posted by  Enthusiast

thanks guys and i know i want a car that when i modify it will turn heads and make people stare mouth agape. but thats after i put maybe 10gs in it you know and ill look at that site because i would like a probe gt but id settle for a regular probe as long as its not alien im good :):thumbs:

Unless you're some certified drag NHRA drag racer where you're going through 3 of them a week, I don't see how that can constitute as one of your "pet peeves".

posted by  DSMer

Pretty common in 2nd gen Probes, trust me.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I don't think you're dumb, but I do think you're dense.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

posted by  Bronxie

Ahh, Dictionary.com, it's got me out of trouble so many times, lol

posted by  Cliffy

Given that this is a text orientated conversation. One can also say that I too have a sense of humor and use sarcasm. However your assumption is just as good any. Although you are aware what they say about assuming.

posted by  DSMer

Nice try..

Honestly I don't hold it against you. There's been times we all do that. Maybe we're in a rush or maybe we're just not thinking. We can drop it :thumbs:

DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE WONDER WTF AN SSR IS SUPPOSED TO BE?

posted by  Bronxie

After watching the movie "The Island" I figured they're supposed to be the future classics lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Neon. Neon, neon, neon.

posted by  smallangryneon

Why would he do that when he could get the 140 hp 190 ft-lbs 1st gen Probe GT turbo for 1500 dollars with as low as 90,000 miles on it?

posted by  PontiacFan27

Probe GTs were pretty badass cars back in the day if I recall...If you can pick up a probe gt in relatively good condition with 90,000 miles more or less for 2,500 dollars color yourself lucky.

posted by  Bloodcraft

Thats pretty common for 1st gens for some reason.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your Message