How to disable PASSLOCK II Security System on a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  How to disable PASSLOCK II Security System on a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero

There is no need to install a cutout switch whatsoever. Just use black electrical tape to mask the instrument panel "Security" Light !

Here is a step-by-step procedure:

Pry up the plastic molding from around the Radio/HeaterAC controller and from around the Gear Shifter. Detach the HeaterAC module from the molding by removing the four 7-mm hex bolts from the back side. Take out the 3 7-mm hex bolts to loosen the Radio. Put key in ignition & turn to "On" position, apply brake, and shift into "drive" or lower gear. Turn HeaterAC module to the left, sideways orientation, and pull out the Radio. Disconnect main wiring harness from back center of Radio if there is not enough slack to take the Radio out past the plastic molding. Leave the antenna connected. Look inside and to the left at the back of the Ignition Cylinder assembly. Locate the THIN YELLOW WIRE which is bundled alongside the thin white and the thin black wire. You may have to stick you hand in and fish a bit to grab this "Thin wire Trio". DO NOT mess with the main rear/downward ignition wiring harnesses (1 of which contains a Thick Yellow Wire - leave it alone).

Isolate the THIN YELLOW WIRE from the 2 others. As a precaution, RECONNECT the MAIN RADIO WIRE HARNESS, and let the Radio hang to the right side. Put the key in the ignition, and put the car back in PARK. START THE CAR. CUT THE THIN YELLOW WIRE with the car running. Tape both ends of the cut wire. Place black electrical tape over the "Security" light (less annoying). Turn off the car engine. Disconnect the Radio main wire harness to Re-Install the Radio, if necessary. You may need to crawl under the passenger-side dash to push the main wire harness back into the radio while holding the Radio from the front. The rest of the installation is the reverse of removal. YOUR LIFE JUST GOT A LOT BETTER if you want to keep driving this car !!

posted by  SBULET

As random as this is, it will likely help me. I've got a 99 Alero and have heard the horror stories of the alarm system not letting you start the car. Haven't had that problem yet, but from what I understand it's only a matter of time. Thanks!

posted by  giant016

i own a 2000 alero bought it with 36000 miles 4 years ago, about a year ago this security light stuff started happening to me, never had it fixed just waited the 10 minutes with key in ignition and would always start, i found this thread through google and with much hesitancy tried this method of cutting the thin yellow wire, and guess what IT WORKS, you can access these wires by removing the two 7mm bolts above were the speedometer and tach are, remove the black plastic trim, you should be able to see the ignition and possibly the wires right there, if not there are 4 more 7mm bolts that will completely remove the instrument panel there are 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom, there is one wire that is attached to the back remove it then look behind the ignition and find the thin yellow wire, and snip while the car is running, tape off wires, if you want you can also take apart the plastic pieces of the instrument panel which is all snap locked together, once you access the speedometer where you can manually spin the needle, you can carefully peel back the black plastic and place a piece of black tape over where the light emits that will show the word security so it doesnt look so cheap by having a piece of black tape on the outside.

posted by  stlcardinal9

wow that is ghetto as ****. how about you fix it right by replacing whatever ignition components is requires. thats how i fixed mine.

also, all you alero owners go to and tell them jackal sent you!

You should know better than to blatently advertise another site!

Cliff :banghead:

posted by  jackal2000

you know whats ghetto is a billion dollar company that you just paid money to, to fix a problem that they should have recalled to begin with, its a quick easy fix
to a problem that isnt worth 300 plus dollars to fix, nobody comes on here to hear your opinion they come on here to get advice on how to SAVE MONEY to fix a problem so you just keep throwing your money at problems that you could have fixed yourself without paying for it, GENIUS

posted by  stlcardinal9

I heard that if I cut the wire and DO NOT use a switch that if my battery goes dead or I remove it that the car will no longer start. and the wire would have to be reconnected befor it will start .. is this true or not . Thanks for your help

posted by  john macdonald

It works :thumbs: I feel better in my 2001 alero. I may have to install a cutout switch due to the notice on http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

posted by  way2

Does this work for a 2003 olds alero

posted by  bootgmv

I should say so.

posted by  Satty101

I have a 2003 Malibu with the "Theft System" woes. I tried the resistor method on mine. I used a 2.2k resistor. The car starts every time now, but the Theft System light is constantly on. The battery has been disconnected several times since and the car still starts. Any advice is appreciated.

posted by  maddog

Is there any changes/differences disabling the passlock security system between 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Alero V6. I have a 2001 Alero that is acting the same way. Can I use the same procedure as these instructions for the 2002? Thank you so much for your help.

posted by  dfd1231

it should work the same

posted by  stlcardinal9

Can you do this procedure if the car won't start? I have tried the 10 minute wait process and the car would not start yesterday or this morning. I am arranging to have it towed home and someone will cut the thin yellow wire for me, but can it be cut w/out the car running? Please answer as quickly as possible. Thanks for your help.

posted by  dfd1231

Your Message