saturn gets the astra and astra xr .. woot!

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  saturn gets the astra and astra xr .. woot!

2008 Saturn Astra (3 & 5 Door) @ 2007 Chicago Show

http://i9.tinypic.com/4e0pn4x.jpg

ALL-NEW 2008 SATURN ASTRA BRINGS AWARD-WINNING EUROPEAN SMALL CAR TO NORTH AMERICA

CHICAGO – Saturn announced the addition of the all-new 2008 Astra to its lineup, bringing a decidedly European flavor to the North American compact car market. It is packed with a wide range of standard equipment and safety features, and delivers sporty performance with very good fuel economy.
The Saturn Astra will be offered in three-door and five-door models, each underpinned by a taught, European-bred suspension that delivers a sharp, responsive driving experience. Power comes from a 1.8L Ecotec four-cylinder engine that is both energetic and economical, delivering 140 horsepower (104 kW) and good fuel economy.

"In Europe, the Astra's combination of style, performance, safety technology and fuel efficiency have made it a hit with owners and auto critics alike," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager. "Now, Saturn is bringing the newly restyled Astra to North America and marrying it with our celebrated customer experience."

The Astra will go on sale in the fourth quarter of this year. It is the fifth product in a complete revamp of Saturn's product lineup. In fact, when the Astra hits showrooms, the "oldest" vehicle in Saturn's portfolio will be the Sky roadster, which debuted in March 2006. Other new models include the all-new Aura sedan, the redesigned Vue compact crossover – including the Vue Green Line hybrid – and the Outlook crossover.

"It's not a stretch to say Saturn is all-new," said Lajdziak. "The Astra rounds out our portfolio with a smart-driving, well-equipped small car that shares the European designs evident in all our new vehicles."

Product highlights

Saturn offers two trim levels (XE and XR) for five-door models, and a single trim (XR) in the three-door configuration, which was created with more enthusiastic drivers in mind.
The standard powertrain combination in all models is the 1.8L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine, which is paired with a five-speed manual transmission. The Ecotec engine is enhanced with variable valve timing to optimize power output and fuel efficiency. A four-speed automatic transmission is optional on all models.
The Astra offers technologies to provide an agile, yet comfortable, driving experience. StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with traction control is standard on all three-door Astras, and available on five-door models. This system works in concert with the standard four-wheel, antilock disc brakes to help the driver maintain control during adverse road conditions or during sudden emergency driving situations.

An electro-hydraulic, rack-and-pinion steering system is standard on all models. It provides the solid, linear feel of a hydraulic power steering system, but improves fuel efficiency by operating the power steering pump only when necessary. The system has two available configurations: the standard 15:1 ratio on five-door models and a 14:1 Sport ratio (standard on the three-door; optional on five-doors).
Five-door Astras come with standard 16-inch wheels, but can be upgraded to 17-inch aluminum wheels. Three-door models come standard with 17-inch aluminum wheels, which can be upgraded to 18-inch aluminum wheels and performance tires.

Design details

The Astra has a clean, contemporary design that is infused with Saturn's signature styling cues, including a bold, bright grille bar with prominent Saturn logo. Both the three-door and five-door models are distinguished from their European relatives with unique front and rear fascias that conform to North American bumper standards.
Rear-end styling also features a bright trim bar, with large, wraparound taillamps and clear lenses. The center high-mounted stop lamp uses LED technology for fast and crisp illumination.
Proportions on both body styles suggest an enthusiastic driving experience, with the wheels pushed to the corners and subtle fender flares wrapped tightly around the tires for a tailored stance.
Interior design and features
Bold design, refinement and precise execution are the hallmarks of the Saturn Astra's interior, which envelops passengers in a contemporary environment that maximizes space and comfort. Details include a continuation of the exterior's center hood crease on to the center of the instrument panel, as well as a V-shaped center stack motif that also complements the design language of the exterior.
All models convey the Astra's sporting character through firm, well-supported seats and a thick, three-spoke steering wheel with rake and telescopic adjustments. Ahead of the steering wheel is a rounded cockpit binnacle that houses a large, three-dimensional gauge cluster – including large speedometer and tachometer dials. The sporty Astra three-door receives specific seats with more aggressive bolsters and lumbar support.

Body structure: The unitized body structure is designed with a safety cage around the passenger compartment, and features optimized front and rear crush zones that absorb energy and help maintain the structural integrity of the passenger compartment. High-strength steel is used strategically throughout the body structure.

http://i7.tinypic.com/4cj9bo5.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/49a86c6.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/4859y02.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/2holgl2.jpg

http://i7.tinypic.com/43opdw3.jpg

posted by  Bronxie

Saturn Astra XR

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007/images/saturn/2007_saturn_aura /07aura_pw_1-3472.jpg

Named 2007 North American Car of the Year at the Detroit Auto Show, and a finalist in the Family Car category of the 2007 Canadian Car of the Year program, the new Saturn Aura is making a promising debut.

Part of General Motors "turnaround" strategy, the midsize, front-wheel drive Saturn Aura shares its Epsilon platform with the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx and Pontiac G6. The same platform is found on the European Opel Vectra and Saab 9-3 cars, where it distinguishes itself as stable, sharp handling and smooth riding.

My test car was the Aura XR (starting at $31,080, with an as-tested price of $34,450) which along with the $24,990 XE represents one of the two trim levels available to Aura buyers. The XR features a 3.6 litre V6 with dual overhead camshafts and variable valve timing (VVT) that makes 252 horsepower and 251 pounds feet of torque at 3,200 rpm. It's the same engine found in the Cadillac CTS. This engine is mated to GM's first application of a six-speed automatic transmission with front-wheel drive.

The XE also gets a V6, but this is an overhead valve engine (with VVT) making 224 hp and 220 lb.ft torque at 4,000 rpm. It uses a four-speed automatic transmission. Fuel for both engines is 87 octane, regular gasoline.

Exterior design for the Aura is attractive and understated, and features the new corporate front fascia. Unlike some Saturns of recent years, there are no quirky styling points, and this is an impressive looking car from front to rear. The XR comes with standard 18-inch wheels (17-inch standard on the XE) and a tasteful use of chrome trim for the door handles. Our test car was finished in Midnight Blue (which can look almost black in some conditions), one of the nine exterior colours available.

Inside, the Aura is roomy, smart and tailored. Seats are large and comfortable, with excellent legroom for rear seat passengers. The big, easy-to-read European-style gauges are LED-lit, with amber illumination. Directional LED lighting from the roof subtly illuminates the interior at night.

Cloth seating is standard, but leather is optional on both the XE and XR. A distinctive Morocco Brown leather is available only on the XR however, and this was fitted to my test car.

Other interior features include automatic climate control, centre console with sliding door and dual bin storage, a driver information centre, optional power adjustable pedals and eight-way power driver's/front passenger's seat, optional heated seats available in cloth (standard with leather), steering wheel audio controls, and an optional four-panel sliding panoramic roof.

A six-speaker audio system is standard and includes MP3 playback and an auxiliary input jack for portable audio players. Saturn's "Advanced Audio System" is also available, which includes eight speakers, a 240-watt amplifier and rear-seat controls with two wireless headphones. XM satellite radio is available in both the XE and XR, with three months free service before standard XM fees apply. OnStar "Turn-by-turn-navigation" is also available, which is a new service that allows consumers to talk to an advisor, who sends complete step-by-step directions to customers' vehicles through their OnStar system.

The 2007 Saturn Aura is well equipped with safety technology. Side curtain airbags are standard, as are seat-mounted thorax protection airbags (extra protection for the chest) and front safety belt pretensioners.

All Auras feature four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, and the XR adds GM's StabiliTrak electronic stability control. The XE receives traction control, but not StabiliTrak. Remote vehicle start is available as part of a convenience package on the XE, and is standard on the XR.

The Saturn Aura has a very substantial feel to it. Doors close with a sturdy thunk, and interior components project quality (this is an all-steel Saturn, without the traditional plastic body panels). Personally, I didn't much care for the Morocco Brown leather, finding it too much of a tobacco colour, but others found it rich-looking. The alternative is black leather, or titanium cloth. A criticism is the use of cheap-looking plastics for the door panels, with fake stitching embossed into the armrests. I say either use real stitching on leather or leatherette, or lose the stitching altogether. It lets down an otherwise classy interior.

On the road, the Aura XR accelerates effortlessly, while emitting a sporty note through its dual exhausts. The engine is not as turbine smooth as those of its Asian competitors, but it has a certain lusty personality that can be equally appealing (it sounds like it means business when you want it to). There are paddle shifters if you feel like manually selecting the gears, and they work efficiently enough. Although the XR has a "sport tuned" chassis, highway cruising is relaxed and poised, the inherent stability of the platform ensuring that the car doesn't pitch or wander.

Where the Aura doesn't shine is at slower speeds. City driving and parking lot manoeuvres don't flatter this car, as the steering seems sluggish and heavy.
2007 Saturn Aura XR. Click image to enlarge
Likewise the brakes require much more effort than you may expect. I'm not advocating hair-trigger steering and over boosted brakes, but the Aura feels ponderous when it should be nimble and responsive.

However, this debut model is a fine effort from Saturn and GM. It looks good, is roomy, has a generous trunk, has good power, is comfortable and is well equipped. Rather than describing it as having European manners and style, I think it's more accurate to say the Saturn Aura represents a new and improved generation of North American motoring, at least as GM sees it. Look for a four-cylinder, hybrid Aura later in 2007.

Second Opinion: Lesley Wimbush

2007 Saturn Aura XR. Click image to enlarge
The Saturn Aura and I had a rather inauspicious beginning - the day before I was due to pick it up for a week's testing, there was a change in scheduling and it wasn't available 'til the end of the week. Somewhat mollified by GM's invitation to a cocktail soireé in Toronto's chi-chi Distillery district, I chatted with one of the GM reps who gestured towards a spotlit vehicle and said, tongue-in-cheek - "There's your press car."

Great. So, not only was I being stood up by a car, but one that appeared to be enjoying a busier social life than I currently was. Against a backdrop of sandblasted limestone in the restored Victorian Gooderham and Wort warehouse, the car's sleek, wedge shaped profile, edgy angles and bulging haunches strongly suggested some European influence. Which is hardly surprising, since the Aura is a North American-built version of Europe's Opel Vectra.

As it turned out, the Berry-Red party-goer wasn't my press car - mine came in Silver Pearl. Instead of Saturn's traditional plastic, the car's body is steel allowing for tighter panel gaps. I loved the multi-spoke, eighteen-inch alloy rims, which filled the muscular fenders nicely and would have looked at home on a Benz or BMW. Further accentuating its Teutonic styling are an Audi-like c-pillar and side markers, and carved posterior topped with a flat deck lid. All four corners have intricate, aftermarket-style lighting. The grille is a bright sweep of chrome, bearing an extra-large Saturn logo in the centre - and while the grille doesn't grin quite as widely as its red-hot stablemate, the Sky Redline, it sports a deservedly satisfied smile.

In the mid-eighties General Motors begat Saturn, which started producing cars in 1990 - and the brand quickly developed a cult following thanks to its durable, dent-resistant plastic parts, independent dealers and no-haggling policy. But the bloom faded in more recent years and Saturn is now hoping to bring customers back to the fold with the red-hot Sky roadster, the Aura and the Vue - a new SUV that's also available as a Hybrid.

The Aura succeeds the L-series, which, due to falling sales, was cancelled in its 2005 year. The newest Saturn isn't a reworking of its predecessor, but a brand new product on a new platform. The Aura takes the company huge strides forward in design, interior finish and driving performance that approaches that of the European and top Japanese imports.

The Aura's available in two configurations, beginning with the base model XE, powered by a 3.5 litre V6 offering variable valve timing and mated to a four speed automatic transmission

My tester for the week was the upscale model XR. Twin exhaust tips peeping demurely under the blunt posterior allude to enhanced performance. Under the hood (which by the way, is held up by gas struts rather than a flimsy rod) is a 3.6-litre DOHC V6 with 252 horsepower, and 251 lb. ft. of torque. Quiet, smooth and with broad power band delivering beautiful mid-range power, it runs on regular grade gas. It's matched to a new Hydra-Matic six-speed automatic transmission (co-developed with Ford) for front, and all wheel drive vehicles. This new transmission (which debuted with the Aura) joins the Hydra-Matic six-speed rear-wheel drive family of automatics (such as that in the previously tested Cadillac Escalade).

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007/images/saturn/2007_saturn_aura /07aura_pw_9-3483.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007/images/saturn/2007_saturn_aura /07aura_pw_14-3476.jpg

Now for my thoughts. This is great. GM is proving that Americans do want European styling. Saturn may just save GM. What do you think?
http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007/images/saturn/2007_saturn_aura /07aura_pw_4-3484.jpg

posted by  Bronxie

its basically the same as the euro one then, no different apart from the grille and bumpers etc!
little thing though, the rear light lens always mists up, it happens on all vauxhalls:laughing:
shame you wont get the VXR!!!
http://www.thecarfanatics.com/images/standard/2004051/2004051_001.jpg

posted by  True_Brit

America is supposed to get a Saturn Astra Red Line version featuring the 2.0L turbo 4 from the VXR.

posted by  moostang104314

will it look like the VXR though???
wont there be a 5 door hatch version???
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dsc09058.jpg

posted by  True_Brit

As the styling for the Saturn is different from the Vauxhall/Opel, it is hard to say what modifications will be done to the Red Line. There is a 5-door Astra, but if you meant a 5-door Red Line, I don't believe its planned.

I'm glad they carried over the Euro interior. It looks high quality and stylish.

How do you mean they always mist up? I know thw current Astra had a misted rear cluster, I assume you don't mean that?

It's about time you guys got some of our design flair, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

See them on the streets here.

posted by  Wally

i dont mean about the 'red line', i meant about the standard astra, will you get one of them? (abit like the pic of the police car except the lights and stripes)

i mean condensation build up, happens with a lot of them!

posted by  True_Brit

Yes we get the 3-door and 5-door. No plans for the sedan in America, which I think is kind of a shame because it would broaden the appeal of the vehicle.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_chicago/0702_z+2008_saturn_ast ra+five_front_corner.jpg
5-door Astra

i just noticed, that Aura looks very much like our Vectra
http://www.patonstaxis.co.uk/new_vehicles/images/Vectra-exclusiv.jpg
http://newweb.cistera.com/nucleus/media/2/20060429-vectra.jpg

but will you get what we call the Signum (bigger than the Astra) (or in your case, would be a Aura Hatch)
http://www.perrys.co.uk/used-photos/large/Y/P/YP06UJJ.jpg

posted by  True_Brit

Your Message