1973 El camino

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1973 El camino

hello i own a 73 El Camino and it has a 5.7 350 chevy and i want to upgrade it to a chevy 454. i was wondering would the motor mounts bolt right up or would they have to be moved around, if so how would i go about that. any info would be great thank you.

posted by  Desert_Elcamino

being a chevy guy, i thought i would know this, but i dont. after asking around the shop, the guys here say yes it will bolt right in. the 73 el camino did come from the factory with a 454 so even if you had to move the mounts there will be holes in the frame that will accept that location.

posted by  glagon1979

To my knowledge there is only one small block 454 thats made, and its made by World Products. A regular 454 is a big block. It will not bolt right up.

posted by  PontiacFan27

why not?? trans bolts up the same, they use the same clam shell style motor mounts. tell me why they are different. and i want proof, not just you telling me.

posted by  glagon1979

upon a little further research, EVERYTHING will bolt up, BUT, you may have to shim your mounts on the block about 1/4" to 3/8". also be very carefull of hood clearance.

posted by  glagon1979

Yeah it should bolt right up. Only time i usualy find they won't is on an american car when you get a block from over seas

posted by  tjtravis

From what I've been told, you will need to get big block motor mounts. You will also need to get big block springs for the front. You should get a Turbo 400 transmission to back the 454.

posted by  76MonteMan

Your Message