Older Firebirds

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Older Firebirds

I am 16, and looking to purchase a car. My budget is about $3,500, and I thought that the older Firebirds look awesome. The ones in the late 80s are best looking to me, but a 95-96 would be cool too.

Anyways, if I got a 95-96, it'd definitely be a V6. However, what about an 88 V8?

The only thing I have to worry about is insurance costs. I'm going to call State Farm up soon and find out the best possible way to get it to cost no more than $150/month. If I can get insurance for only $5/day, I'll get the car.

posted by  Twan

I wouldn't waste money on a 3rd gen Firebird, even the V8s. They're very underpowered and very very slow.

For 3500 you could do so much better.

posted by  PontiacFan27

To me, looks are more important than speed.

posted by  Twan

compensating for what you lack in other areas?? jp

posted by  glagon1979

3rd Generation Firebirds are ugly as well as slow. Keep looking at it and wait a few weeks...the truth will appear.

posted by  What

You're telling me this car is ugly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180140912438&rd=1,1

posted by  Twan

yea...in my opinion it is..and its old as hell too..looking at the interior its like the stone age, along with most of the "technology" in that car

posted by  newyorker

Then what 'better' can I get for 3,000-3,500?

posted by  Twan

depends what kind of thing you want in a car

cylinders
doors
features
domestic
import

i can go on and on

post a guideline and well try to help you out as best we can

posted by  newyorker

Basically a muscle car.

Sporty, V6 though so insurance stays cheap and I save on gas.

posted by  Twan

ya know what... buy whatever you want and don't dig for everyone's opinion on what's best. it seems like too many young people base all that they do on other people's opinions these days. i have a 3rd gen. i've had fox body mustangs and 2nd gen firebirds. didn't like the mustangs at all, loved the way the 2nd gens looked, didn't like the way they drove compared to the 3rd gens... and i've had 3 3rd gens that i drove the crap out of. i had a 85 v6 car that got 30 mpg, looked good, and drove it up to 275k miles when it got run over by a dodge ram. the engine lives on in my cousin's camaro... my brother has had even more 3rd gens than that, some of which were pretty quick...

what likes his mustang, newyorker likes his honda (some days), and i like my car. test drive them and make your own decision based on what works for you-- i have. unless you're trying to start a pissing match about what car reigns supreme. in that case, keep on asking...:2cents:

posted by  dodger65

yeah, those late 70's 2nd gens really rip up the track, don't they...:wink2:

posted by  dodger65

I need to speak with my insurance company about getting the lowest possible rate. If I can get a third generation, V6, for only about $1,500/year in liability, I will most likely go with it.

Thanks.

posted by  Twan

a v6 muscle car? sorry but im not sure that exists lol

posted by  newyorker

I like my Mustang because it's fast and personalized. I don't too much care for the way it looks.

He's young, his mind will change fast. I think he should wait and research.

posted by  What

I don't care about how fast a car is. I'm not dragging it. I'll never go over 90 mph in it.

posted by  Twan

I think some Grand National owners would be to differ.

If you want looks kid, what do you think looks better? If you don't plan on working on the car, I'd get the newest one you acn afford.

posted by  giant016

Your Message