How Do I make My camaro sound like a Ferarri?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  How Do I make My camaro sound like a Ferarri?

What makes a Ferarri sound the way it does and how do I make my 1997 camaro Z28 sound like one?

Also If someone put a turbo charger in their camaro would it sound like those drifting cars in fast and the furious 3 tokyo drift?

Do Ferarri's sound the way they do because they have turbo?

Also what is the best way to make my 1997 Z28 sound louder and what would it sound like with a smaller muffler like those tuner import japanese customized Honda civic Si and nissan Z-350 cars.

posted by  portland5

Oh dear god help us all

posted by  99integra

il try to answer this with all seriousness and in the order questioned

1. nothing except a ferrari engine
2. no it wouldnt
3. most ferraris dont have turbos..i know for sure the older f40 did but thats all i can think of
4. louder..straight pipes with no cats
5. nothing can make it sound as bad as a civic with a fart can

in closing
stop being a ricer...if you worship the fast and furious movie series, you dont deserve a car

posted by  newyorker

im sorry but ROLFMAO

too bad it wouldnt all fit in my sig :orglaugh:

posted by  nighthawk

actually, you can make it sound like a ferrari with the right modifications, if you put the ferrari enzo exhaust and right parts on, it would sound like a ferrari, my friend has a tuner car, he races a 350z twin turbo, all that ish, can knock down at 04 mustang mach 1 with a supercharger with ease

posted by  jslow913

wtf did that have to do with his exhaust...its not going to sound like a ferrari ever stop being a tool

posted by  newyorker

WTF??????? What is this world coming to and why do we get all the reject car kids here.

posted by  Spanky2324

apparently you dont know what your talking about, if you put the ferrari enzo exhaust on it it will sound like the ferrari enzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0sS2uu6dBk

watch around 50 seconds

and you call me a tool? learn your stuff before you talk shit

posted by  jslow913

that might be an enzo exhaust but it doesnt sound like an enzo it sounds like a range rover with no mufflers

this is an enzo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BZ41POvmeqQ

note how it doesnt crackle or pop as much as the rover...thats what i thought shut up

there is nothing you can do to make your car sound like a ferrari 100%...the closest ive ever seen was an NSX with a full titanium exhaust

posted by  newyorker

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! :orglaugh: :clap:
This has to be the funniest thread in the history of CF!

posted by  elchango36

I think this should be stickied

posted by  newyorker

What makes a ferrari or any motor sound the way it does is its engine pulses.
I do believe the ferrari is a flat plane crank and a different degree V engine plus its a 4V per cylinder.

It be impossible to make an LT1 sound like a ferrari because the intake is different, the displacements different, the LT1 isnt even an OHC motor, plus the enzo has 4 more cylinders. You are a dumbass and so is the guy who posted a clip of the Range Rover. I hate you even more because your spreading your ignorance. And just becaue your friend has a TT Z33 which I highly doubt, doesn't make you shit, just a nutswinger.

Why would you want to sound like Fast and the Furious car you have a LT1 be proud, why try and be like slow cars, go join LS1tech or LS1LT1.com
and learn some shit and quit bein a retarded ricer.

To make a Z28 ound louder you doe xhaust mods,

You can get Headers

ASM (mids)
Edlebrock (shorties and they suck)
Pacesetter
Kooks
QTP
Hooker
Jet-Hot

and the accomadating Y pipe

Then you get a catback
Hooker
TSP rumbler
SLP loudmouth
SLP 2OTL
Flowmaster (sucks)
Magnaflow
GMMG
Stainless Works
B&B Triflow

Plus many more
or you can always do custom True duals but your gorund clearance will suffer.
Heres how mine sounded with the old exhaust,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFW7t7huUI

Quit being a dumbass

posted by  Enthusiast

I thought that catback doesnt make your car sound as loud as a straight pipe?

hehe engine swap anyone? If you made more money than you knew what to do with, then maybe you would look at something silly like trying to make your Camaro sound like a Ferrari, or even better, an Enzo Ferrari.

I doubt its even possible to do an engine swap for many reasons. Maybe if you found an older V8 Ferrari engine but I don't know. Plus the design of any Ferrari engine is totally different than a Camaro. So unless you were rich and had nothing better to do, you would still have to find someone who is skilled enough and willing to do the swap. And then if you added the exaust than yes your Chevy would prob sound like a Ferrari. Actually your Camaro would no longer be a Camaro. It would be a Camaro body with a Ferrari engine so you cant really count this. Anyways the whole engine swap thing is unrealisitc and pointless (just something I had to bring up as the only "possible" way to make your car sound like a ferrari)

Anyways... WHY on Earth would you WANT to make your Camaro sound like a Ferrari??!? A Camaro sounds great the way it does. If you want your Camaro to sound louder than do what Enthusiast suggested. Plus I think there are other ways to make your car sound louder (and no I dont mean slapping a muffler on).

And thats just stupid... Trying to make your American muscle car sound like a European exotic that has a totally different engine. Its the same thing if some guy with a Honda Civic decided that he wanted his car to sound like a Chevelle SS... It just doesnt work

posted by  JORD88

I have a SLP Loudmouth catback, and I had to run the car with nothing behind the I-pipe when I was putting it in. I can say for sure that this exhaust is pretty much just as loud (from the outside of the car) with this catback as it was with the entire back half of it's exhaust missing.

If you want loud for cheap just put a cutout on the I-pipe.

I hate this thread. Honestly, if you want a car that sounds like an import tuner, buy an imoport tuner. Don't ruin a perfectly good Camaro.

posted by  giant016

Wait...I thought the cat didn't affect the sound, just the muffler/tailpipe?

I want this thread to be stickied too :mrgreen: lol

posted by  chris_knows

The muffler and resonator controls the tone and volume of the exhaust noise. A skilled muffler-man can create or tune a resonator for ya boy's Camaro to match the tone of a Ferrari, but since Camaro V8's don't pulsate like Ferrari V8's he won't fool anyone.

posted by  What

Why not just buy an exhaust system to make the engine sound good, not necessarilly like a Ferrari.

posted by  chris_knows

Apparently, because he's a moron...believe it or not, LT-1 camaros sound real good with cats and no muffler...better than no cats and a flowmaster anyway.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

that doesn't mean he's not allowed to want to make it sound like something else :screwy:

posted by  windsonian

The main difference is the crank. If you got a flat plane crank it would sound similar. The rest could be ironed out with intake, cam (right rev range), and exhaust. It isn't worth it though. Good thought. It will never sound identitical, but you could probably get close. Flat plane cranks sound similar to 4 cylinders though so... ehhhh...

posted by  rudypoochris

Flat plane cranks arent readily available though. I know of one company who will make you a custom billet one but the turnaround time is like 9 weeks and it is VERY expensive, then youd have to do custom headers to take full advantage of the flat plane crank, then a different cam since firing order would change, then youd have to figure out how to deal with the god awful opti and tuning issues, plus most valvetrain parts would be insanely expensive since not many rev an LT1 past 7500 rpms even full blown dragsters, but it would still sound different because it be almost imposible tp replacate the cam specs between an OHV and OHC motor, plus displacement would be different.

It would seriously be cheaper to buy a Ferrari motor and put it in.

I know someone is doing it in like a 57chevy.

posted by  Enthusiast

Yes, it isn't worth it. Just pointing out what makes the difference. I believe Scat will make you the crank, but not positive. If I ever decide to build up a 302 on an aftermarket block and go crazy I would consider using a flat plane crank seriously. It helps out the response since you can do with out alot fo the counterweight, but its not worth it for most people money wise.

posted by  rudypoochris

lol - thats all i can say for this entire thread ( get a ferrari soundtrack cd in your car and blast it every time you take of, that might help)

posted by  07exlv6

Why are people still on this. Hes a toolbag, let him try and fail

posted by  newyorker

why would you say that?

posted by  windsonian

I understand he can be a little misinformed about cars, but read the first post...come on, that sounds not only stupid but rice too

posted by  newyorker

Pfft are you kidding me? I if I had a Camaro I would SOO pay to make it sound like a Ferrari... Seriously

posted by  DSMer

need we mention the following threads??
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=27458
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=27822

posted by  windsonian

How is that rice?? Its different, there is nothing "rice" about it. I dont have a wing on my car, No huge stickers all over the place, and it looks and sounds great. Get your shit straight, better yet just shut up:thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

Unless your civic has like 300 to the wheels. People are going to call it rice. Hell even then they will still call it rice. Get over it.. who cares. No one else has to drive your car but YOU. So why should you give a shit what anyone says about it?

posted by  DSMer

it all depends on the driver, there are ppl out there that if you give them a muscle car they gonna peel out on every corner, race grandmas on buicks, put nos decals on their fenders and play fast and the furious soundtracks in their cars, those people would still be ricers but with big blocks, so having a civic has nothing to do with it.

posted by  07exlv6

These people are also know as *cough* enthusiass *cough*.

"My Camaro runs 11's because I have NOS in it!"

posted by  DSMer

did u see the videos i posted on his exhaust thread, i think that kid is full of it...pretty sad

posted by  07exlv6

Yes it is pretty sad, but what can you do. Iono... I guess I could lie and say my DSM runs 10's. But it doesn't(although I wish it did)... it runs mid 12's. While that may not be one of the fastest... it still is fast and I'm very confident that I'll be able to make it go faster. Anyways

I like that Accord coupe. So Whatcha got in it :hi: ?

posted by  DSMer

Well since i just got it like month ago all it has is a AEM V2 cai, throttle body spacer, 30th anniversary j30a5 motor lol, and thats it for the performance, then i got jdm headlights, drilled rotors on stock 17's and 6000k HID kit, a lot more coming as soon as i sell my other accord, like HFP lip kit, greddy evo 2 exhaust and more goodies, hopefully next year a comptech supercharger, but thats next year...next month if i get a chance hoping to take it to the track and see what it can do pretty much stock

posted by  07exlv6

Ahh...Not calling drilled rotors a performance mod. I like this guy.

posted by  giant016

My shit seems fairly straight to me. Where does he mention "wings and stickers" etc etc?? And he's trying to make it sound like a Ferrari... which i think would "sound great". You said you were going to drive yours in a tunnel just to make it sound like an F1.

Show me again where "it's different" .......

posted by  windsonian

Because noone else in philly has a side exit on a civic.

posted by  newyorker

I'm going to go ahead and say that's bullshit. You CAN NOT claim that unless you have verified and collected pictures of EVERY Civic in Philly. Thats just blatant misuse of non-factual information.

As I have told you before. You're NOT the first person to come up with the idea to put a side exhaust on a car. The fact that you ONLY did it for the sound and looks is exactly the definition of rice. The welded bends don't help exhaust flow. However you knew this and still decided to do it the way it is because it "SOUNDS" better and does not "PERFORM" better.

Generally speaking... looking or sounding good with little adherence to general performance principles IS indeed rice.

Just because you have 12" less exhaust than most civics does NOT make it unique. If your Civic had an LS6 engine in it... THAT would be Unique. Although I'm almost sure someone has probably tried that too.

posted by  DSMer

side pipes on a lil 4 cyl civic hahaha i bet it looks retirded as hell

posted by  07exlv6

No it isnt rice...so you tell me all show cars are rice right?? Because a LOT of them have stock engines, thats why the hood is always closed. And let me correct this. Noone else in philly that ive seen in all my years living here has a side exit on any HONDA, including civic for that matter

posted by  newyorker

what has that got to do with anything?

You still haven't shown me where he's mentioned anything more rice than yours.

And even if he did mention stickers (which I must have missed), he could just say "no one else in has a giant NoS sticker on their camaro" .... and then it would be exactly the same "justification" as you used.

posted by  windsonian

sayin no one else in philly has one is like me saying there is no one stupider than newyorker, but with mine there might be some truth to it.

posted by  99integra

oh come on read the post not just the one part...that doesnt sound at all hopeless to you?

posted by  newyorker

I did read the whole post .... again.

Nowhere does he mention visual mods .... aka "rice" wings stickers etc.

So .... you're allowed to enjoy your car sounding different because of your mods, but he's not???

It doesn't sound "hopeless" at all... It sounds like he is lacking experience and could very well want to learn. He asked direct questions about what makes cars sounds like they do, and whether he could achieve a specific sound.

And you think that's worse than recording your car driving through a tunnel because "it sounds like an F1".

I'll tell you why it does .... the acoustics of the tunnel.... at least he's trying to achieve a desired sound by modifying the car and not the environment. I put it to you that his post is less rice than yours.

posted by  windsonian

I do recall on a pimp my ride or some other show like that, they put some sort of electronic system in it which envolved a large speaker that goes under the car, and a pod inside the car which you could select diffrent car sounds like.... an F1 car, supercars, Muscle cars and I do believe there was an enzo.

posted by  jamfam

thats stupid

posted by  07exlv6

actually its not stupid,...sorry

posted by  jamfam

lol u must be 13, who the **** is gonna mount a speaker under their car to sound like something else :screwy: ricers rule this forum

posted by  07exlv6

agreed.

posted by  Spanky2324

agreed.. it's a bit strange.. but then again, people use speakers to produce noise for active noise cancellation and all sorts of weird stuff like that too, and that's pretty cool.

posted by  windsonian

I have 1. I have a 99 acura cl with a 2.3L. So far i've put on headers, skunkII exhaust, cald air intake, a chip, drilled and slotted rotors. in then near future it is revieving a msd ignition and a turbo.

posted by  jamfam

"rotors with holes in them make me go willy willy fast...." i hate it when ppl mention in at as a performance upgrade

posted by  07exlv6

I never said preformance in any part of that list. and FYI im 22

posted by  jamfam

pretty sad, 22 and a dumb ass, im done with this thread

posted by  07exlv6

I'de put my car againt your any day.

posted by  jamfam

hahahahaha :clap:

posted by  07exlv6

"the 150hp 2.3 l i4 is ferocious rice eating machine" :orglaugh: :thumbs:

posted by  07exlv6

"...but wait i have headers, exhaust, air intake, and drilled rotors that will easily give me 110 more hp to match 07exlv6" lol im lovin it

posted by  07exlv6

i hate ricers

posted by  glagon1979

I hate people who can't keep their word.

20 years old and doesn't know when to quit. You should have shut the f*ck up an hour ago...and at your age you shouldn't have invested in a second Accord. What type of dumbass are you. No, what type of dumbasses are your parents.

posted by  What

lol i have no comment seriously wtf??? u blind me with ur logic, something about me investing money into another accord ...wha..? dude shut the f up, u r so corny, u just mad cause u r another ricer :thumbs:

posted by  07exlv6

Haha yah your right. A built american stroker V8 in an UNMODIFIED body , haha there is the definition of rice mobile right there.

http://jj.am/gallery/d/39568-1/shipmentofFail.jpg

posted by  Enthusiast

He's clearly not the brightest spark, but he does have a point. He didn't mention his brakes as a performance upgrade, and even if he did it wouldn't be a million miles from the truth, afterall, braking could be classed as a performance upgrade when you do what he's done with it.

posted by  Cliffy

and im sure if i put my car up agaist yours in a car show... well lets just say I know who the winner would be. but since you are slow and can read well... it wouild be ME

posted by  jamfam

what's the purpose of drilled rotors?

posted by  windsonian

My point exactly. :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your "come back" would be much more effective if it was threatening, condescending or funny. A combination of the trhee would be best. It is none of the above. Once you progress past the sixth grade you'll understand. Let me help you out;

Yeah, that's it. :thumbs:

Seriously newb, you're a freaking 12 year old idiot. Why don't you do us all a favor and STFU?

posted by  vwhobo

thank you! oh and i just put in a new "performance" mod......synthetic oil...it helps reduce friction thus reduces the temperature and makes my engine purrrr like a kitten, i have aem drilled rotors on mine and i don't count them as a performance upgrade and never even mention i have them on, i guess its just me

oh and i wonder who actually likes the way this piece of sh*t looks since its gonna beat me in the " car show" and all lol

http://images.securedwebform.com/reviews/images/30cl_p.jpg

i swear god i think this was the biggest acura exterior engineering mistake

posted by  07exlv6

no... that was a serious question to exlv

posted by  windsonian

drilled rotors have a tendency to crack under track use, even porsches ceramic brakes.

Also drilled rotors cant be turned.

I'm gonna stick with my brembo blanks.

posted by  Enthusiast

This thread is full of lol :pop:

posted by  jedimario

Goddamn some members need to grow up. This isn't a track or a car show, you can't prove anything. The arguments are going nowhere. I honestly expected better.

posted by  giant016

What, so you don't know personally? Or you would like to know if he knows? :laughing:

Numerous high performance cars have drilled discs, infact, pretty much all new supercars have them...I can only assume I'm missing something here, or you mean that high performance cars have drilled, ceramic discs....

posted by  Cliffy

I was just stating some of the cons of drilled and slotted rotors

posted by  Enthusiast

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/psychoticsniper1/of50379442.jpg

posted by  Spanky2324

what do you think? :wink2:

posted by  windsonian

Ok....I'll explain the purpose of them to you....:laughing: :joking:

posted by  Cliffy

Agreed..I love mine especially with the hawk pads.

posted by  newyorker

Drilled and slotted rotors better dissipate heat due to their increased surface area. They probably do crack easier, but they are lighter and perform better. So it is a trade off. I like wilwood normal style rotors personally. Brembo is alright, but the stuff we consumers buy is alot more show than go. Their calipers are ridiculously heavy. Their racing products which we cannot buy and are not featured on production cars may be better, I don't know.

posted by  rudypoochris

kind of where i was getting at... wanted to hear him say it though :wink2:

posted by  windsonian

everyone has their own opinion

posted by  07exlv6

Thats why having an F-body is awesome. I can run C6 Z06 Calipers with relative ease (and 18s) but until they make aftermarket rotors for them (Stock are slotted, I think, but there is only one rotor so the slots go different ways side to side, and many guys tracking there vettes are having problems with them) Ill stay with the C5 setup.

posted by  Enthusiast

Umm I always thought that drilled and/or slotted rotors at OEM size wer worse performance because they decreased the braking contact surface...

posted by  newyorker

Yeah, but think about it; your brakes probably have enough power now (if you can punch the brake pedal and the tires skid, you have powerful enough brakes). By drilling the rotors, you allow the heat to escape quicker, and the brakes can cool to their optimal temperature quicker. Also, the point of slotting the rotors is not to cool the disks quicker, but to clean dirt and stuff from the pads.

posted by  chris_knows

true true...but its not just the rotors though the pads have a lot to do with it

posted by  newyorker

wow this ****ing post should have been killed pages ago.

*shakes head* what happened to this place.

posted by  Integra_LS

Your post wasn't here pages ago....:wink2:

As for this thread, it could have been killed pages ago, but I enjoyed this one, even though my input was minimal...

posted by  Cliffy

I have a great idea...lets leave this thread alone :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

Ferrari is either a mid or rear engine platform and each time a new concept of the exotic is created, they spend over 3 months perfecting the pitch and tone of the exhaust.

http://www.ferrarispy.com/images/NR360-029-500.jpg
Even the aftermarket exhaust kits for Ferrari range in the $3,000-$4,000 (US) range. Why? Because they take forever to tune. Someone said, "go to your local welder and have them make one that sounds like a ferrari." Well you could if you lived next to Ferrari Headquarters and it would cost you well over $15,000 - I can't find the link but a Japanese man with a new skyline had an exaust system custom built for him by fabricators over at the Ferrari factory.

People who say "thats rice" well... you're full of it and full of yourself. "Just buy a Borla catback" some might say - well personally that only sounds good on a new vette or a viper.

YOU'RE A TOTAL ASS if you tried to bring this guy down - obviously he doesn't know about exhaust. So let him be.

ENGINE PITCH = MATH = DO YOUR HOMEWORK - you can get any compression engine to sound like a ferrari - not all FERRARI's are V10's blah blah blah - there are Ferrari's with 6 liters in them that sound the SAME

AND ITS BECAUSE FERRARI DOES THEIR HOMEWORK - THAT PITCH, THAT SOUND IS A BIGGER TRADEMARK THAN THEIR COLORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (their colors are a huge thing to them - it's not red unless its FERRARI RED - that line goes a long way with with TRUE vehicle enthusiests)

I bet if I created a ratio to tone/pitch program I could CAD an exaust setup for anything and have someone fabricate it for me - then it would be on half the cars in the united states because EVERYONE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER HAS DREAMED OF HAVING AN EXOTIC. I would be a Millionaire over night...

You can get kit car lambo's and ferrari's that use a Fierro base and get it to sound like a ferrari so dont be soo hessitent to call people ricers...

ps - my 89 240sx coupe with KA24DE is a 2.4 liter just like Formula 1 cars - I'm sure someone has made it sound like a F1 car allready - as like Ferrari the F1 sound is PURE SEX!

SO - Find a SPECIALIST - not a backyard mechanic - and have them build and tune an exhaust system for you.

anyways - this is my first post :D cheers! rage on!

Kinyo

posted by  kinyo

Original posters Last Activity: 08-19-2007 05:49 PM

hmm...do you really think he gives a shit??

posted by  newyorker

No you lose

There are certain parts of an engine that create the certain motors sound/pitch/tone WAY more than just an aftercat exhaust.

Ferrari parts are so expensive cause if someones going to pay over 150K for a car they will pay 4K for an exhaust.

Your little 2.4 WILL not sound like an FI car unless its revving to 19K plain and simple.

And I do believe F1 cars are now 2.8s. They used to be 3.0 V10s but i think they recently passes a new displacement regulation. And no ferrari doesnt do near as much acoustic tuning as they used to. Have you heard the difference between an 360 and a F430, two WAY diff sounds.

I do believe the 430 was the first car they didnt do a whole bunch of acoustic tuning on.

a 360 is one of the most versatile sounding cars ive ever heard, the 430 not so much.

Your retarded deal with it. Oh and I have a LT1 Z28, so if your such a badass go draw me up a cad program and make me an exhaust that will sound like a 360 challenge stradale.

Do it I dare you, its impossible.

posted by  Enthusiast

Yep. Only cars ive heard that sound similar are NSX with titanium exhaust systems

mmm tasty

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FPEviTMqGmc&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=66lEWn401oE&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oOIGKGYE_eU&feature=related
^^nice licence plate ;)

and this next vid is just 4 minutes of sex for the ears
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8JiJ6TJbKQ0

posted by  newyorker

:doh: U should just do us all a favor and sell ur car and go buy u a piece of crap import :fu:

posted by  95 Z

welcome to last year...:banghead:

posted by  dodger65

Amen to that brother!

posted by  ficho

Damn, forgot about this thread. Yeah, try and make your 4banger Civic sound like an old school big block. Because that an exhaust can create than iconic lopey sound.:thumbs: Has nothing to do with actual lope.

^^^Sarcasm if you didn't pick it up.

posted by  giant016

Why won't this thread just die?

posted by  Satty101

WHO GAVE THIS KID A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats chevy drivers for you.
whats next captain gonna stick a bunch of fake cowls on there with 3m tape and bullet hole stickers?

posted by  chillmiller

Quantum Field Theory.

posted by  chris_knows

Ahem. Way to show you're a dick. I'm a die-hard Chevy driver and I NEVER would do stupid shit like that.

posted by  Satty101

this is one of the most dumbest topics ive ever seen however its like a conversation that u arent in but your listening to and u have to put ur 2 cents in the wildest sound ive ever heard on a camaro and sounds pretty damn close if not like a ferrari is an idea me and a few of my drunken buddies came up with one boring summers night out in the garage while we were thinkin on our second 30 pack its much outside the box and very ghetto and only lasts for a week or 2 you take a complete white brothers silencer off of a yamaha raptor 660 atv weld up a few adapters and squash down some 4 inch exhaust pipe put it in after the y pipe and a 20 flow tech muffler in the reverse direction and there u go but like i said very ghetto and it doesnt last and doesnt sound exact and also as said by someone else why would u ruin a camaro get an slp exhaust and be proud of the muscle car u drive

posted by  HoffysGT

Queen's Film Theatre.

posted by  chris_knows

LULZ. Classic thread, classic problem, my night is made.

posted by  jedimario

May this thread never die.

posted by  newyorker

Your Message