Do turbos affect fuel economy?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Do turbos affect fuel economy?

Hey everyone sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have a
1998 pontiac sunfire, 2.4L, and was thinking about saving up for a turbocharger.

Do turbos take away or add MPG ?

this is the one i had in mind:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/ps-gt28r.asp

posted by  PontiacPride

Yes a turbo will affect your fuel economy for the worst. I hope you know you need more than just that turbo to actually put it in your car.

posted by  Spanky2324

Generally, they WILL decrease fuel economy...but it depends on the tune

You dont need a turbo like that, its too expensive...there are a lot more parts that need to be put on/in

posted by  newyorker

If you can afford to buy a decent turbo setup, you can afford to lose a few MPGs. To properly do this, the parts alone will probably cost more than your car. You can't just buy a turbo and slap it on. This is a big project...I believe you're getting yourself in WAY too deep.

posted by  giant016

I doubt that, but yes it will get pricey

Also remember, youll have to run 93 octane minumum to correspond to the new ECU tuning.

posted by  newyorker

I wish we had higher octane in cali:ohcrap: All we have is 91 and thats the highest I've seen.

posted by  Spanky2324

In very sifted terms, turbos increase the efficiency of the combustion process. They do consume more fuel in theory, but in application since they greatly increase efficiency, a lot of times fuel economy isn't affected in a negative way.

posted by  67Coronet383

It's easier to start with a turbo car and upgrade from there.

posted by  TurboT-Bird

Your Message