Should I buy original Saturn CD player or Afternarket?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Should I buy original Saturn CD player or Afternarket?

Hey guys,

I've got a 97 Saturn and I've heard it will be aprox 700USD to buy an Authentic Saturn CD player (that's new but I expect to pay about 200USD for a used one), where as an aftermarket CD player can be had starting at $100USD and up.

Just wanted some opinions on what people thought, is the original Saturn CD player that much better that it justifies the additional cost?

posted by  Rockstead

The only good thing about buying a standard Saturn CD player would be that come resale time, the car will sell easier :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

This shouldn't even be an issue. Get the aftermarket! I'm willing to bet the standard Saturn CD player doesnt have pre-outs, equalizer, or anywhere near the available options you can get on todays afteramrket cd players.

posted by  Voda48

I understand you as far as the quality of the sound system, But when you maintain the vehicle to fac specs, its value is increased for resale.

posted by  lectroid

So it comes down to whether or not the Aftermarket stereo will deminish the resale value or the car more than the ammount that exceeds the price difference between the factory deck and an aftermarket deck.

posted by  Voda48

Thanks for all the replies and feedback guys, you saved me from making a mistake.

I'll be going for an aftermarket one, I want something that also plays MP3s, and from what I read it is likely that I'll have to change my speakers too since I've been told by quite a few people that an aftermarket cd player will most likely blow my speakers out eventually.

So what is the best bang for your buck MP3 compatible CD player and speakers to get. I don't (and can't) break the bank, but at the same time I don't want to buy something I'll be dissapointed with.

Thanks.

posted by  Rockstead

JVC has a nice MP3/Cd combo. As far as speakers the sky is the limit. I have 6.5" Infinity Kappas in my Jeep and I think they provide the best range of sound for a good price.

posted by  Voda48

I don't think a aftermarket CDplayer will blow your speakers, unless you play it a medium/high volumes, but that would distort them so I don't quite see the point (although I hear people play distorted stereos often *sigh*).

I would most likely recommend you change your aftermarket speakers if you want good sound; otherwise don't worry about them if you just want to simply play your MP3s/CDs with little concern about volume or sound quality.

If you do decide to change the speakers I recommend you stay away from the mass-marketed stuff at BestBuy, CircuitCity, and rather go for specialty brand speakers online or in specilty shops (online stores have great deals, I can list some if you like?). These mass-retail chains wont install anything you don't buy from them (shows there customer service), so you will have to go to a specialty shop for installation (unless you are installing them yourself ?); specialty shops should be better anywise, cheaper and more knowledgably people.

posted by  cwzilly

Your Message