1996 Cavalier

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1996 Cavalier

Hey all, The chevy signs on front and back of this car,
]"How Do You Get Them Off?" [/B]
Give the car a more customed feel...
Fell free to give any dieas on how you would go about doing this. Thanks

http://www.danielsweetdesign.com/Assets_Portfolio/Quik/QS_Logo.jpg

posted by  Dustin

well, You could simply take a falt-head screw driver to them, only that has the possiblity to scratch the paint. I'm not sure what chevy badges are doing on the side of your car, but just stick your nail behind them and work at it for a while. That's how my friend and I de-badged his 91(?) shadow.

also, if you want that quicksilver logo to come up on every post, go into your "user cp" at the top of the screens, then over on the left side of the screen look for "edit signature" and then insert the link into the tags. :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

Did jsut that! thanks... No i was meaning the Chevy sign (front end and back end) of the cavalier. when I take them off, would it take paint off too????
from the double sided tape?..

posted by  Dustin

I haven't had any experience of that happening nor ever heard of that happening. I think just use your finger nail and you'll be fine. Also, use the same method if some of the tape sticks to the paints. just work on it with your nail and it should come off.

posted by  Satty101

i never thought you would be able to "pick" it off... did you use some sort of liquide? i heard nail polish might work....

posted by  Dustin

Well you can go for the heat methoerd, hair dryer and heat the glue up and it should come lose. or there is meths/ white spirit, which is similar to nail varnish remover but less likly to take the laquer off the paintwork. Im not saying it will but think about the properties of car laquer and clear nailpolish.

If you get a body filler spatular and use that to pry it off then it wont scratch the paintork and you will have more control than your nail.

hope this helps

posted by  cinqyg

well, I really want to get them off, but not sure of what ways to so. I just don't want to mess up the car's paint job.

posted by  Dustin

have you had a look to see if there is a screw in the back of them. probibly a good idea before you start. secondly have a look on yahoo.com for a cavlier enthusiast board probibly have it all expalined for you, were a group of odds and sods. I know alot of werrid stuff about cars, but how GM decided to adhere there badges in 1997 is something which hasnt come in useful as yet. If it has got a screw hole then you might want to reconsider, unless your good with bodywork.

posted by  cinqyg

Ya, im not good with body work, and im not going to check the car for a screw because its snowing here like crazy. Yay canada, 15 + inches of snow.
Hmm, but i do not remember seeing a screw for it, and i know their isnt for the fromt hood, so will go with double sided tape, or glue. I could blow dry it off, guess nothing hurts to try. only hot air..lol

posted by  Dustin

Hey I have heard that the best way to remove those emblems is with a blow dryer and a spatula (sp?). Just heat up the adheasive and pry it off witha plastics spatula.

posted by  Voda48

Hey theres an idea, i'll have to try that!!!

posted by  Dustin

ALRIGHT!
This morning i went outside, used the blow-dryer and took ever face plate on the car off. It left a "glue" mess, but i used a plastic scratch pad and a clothes to take it off. I spraied windex over it to get it loose. I also blow dryed it again jsut to get the glue off. The final look leaves a hard to see thin layer of glue, which reflexs in the sunlight....I don't know how to get that off?

Any one know? would I be able to use a glue gunk remover liquied? or is there something I else that would work better ? There is also a sticker which is harder to removed (Murrays) sticker, under the left back light. Booo..
Need some help!!!

Anyway- to back end of my cavalier Looks awesome, I Really like it!!:thumbs:

posted by  Dustin

Now try some polishing compound...rubbing compound if it's stubborn.

Don't forget the wax after!!

posted by  BavarianWheels

try water to start with, then methalated spirit if your patenet then one or the other should disolve the glue, then wax, probibly a good idea to get a coloured wax to help blend it in inclase there is any fading.

posted by  cinqyg

Thanks for the advice. I'll get that glue off its the last thing I do !!! :mrgreen:

posted by  Dustin

well if you need some practise then you can come round my shop and help me scrape the epoxy off the walls! Im molding some nice balistic panels for a F450 at the mo.

posted by  cinqyg

Well. as much fun as that sounded, I think I'll stick with fixing my own car!!
Good luck with ....... your project :thumbs:

posted by  Dustin

Your Message