what do you think about the chevy SSR?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  what do you think about the chevy SSR?

i was just wondering what peoples opinion on the new SSR. Personaly i think that it is sweet but that is just my opinion.

posted by  vette2004

put the 6.0 Litre V8 in it. then it will be desireable.

posted by  SuperJew

Looks really strange. But They lie when they say it as the first converitble pickup truck. Its not!

posted by  Voda48

i agree with Voda48 that it looks different
although its performance numbers are pretty good

posted by  nitehawk_87

meh. i think it looks like cr@p. also, trucks and performance shoudnt go together imo

posted by  importluva

It looks ok,but it needs more power.

posted by  archangle

A pile a crap looks better to me.

posted by  vwmaniac

I don't like the looks; much rather go for a Chevrolet Colorado 4x4.

posted by  cwzilly

Ugly.
Unusable for real work.
I would be ashamed for my dead body to be hauled around in it.
:2cents:

posted by  abless

I love it. It's a factory warranty street rod. It's not SUPPOSED to be a work truck any more than any street rod truck is. It's not supposed to be SPORTS CAR any more than any street rod is.

This board is typical of late model car boards: if it isn't a race car in street car guise, it's pointless. Many people find race cars in street car guise pointless, too. In a world of national speed limits, 170 mph sports cars are pointless. But has anyone here complained about how pointless a Gallardo is? Or a Z06 on the street in traffic? No. Why? Because they like that kind of pointless vehicle.

The problem is that people here seem to think the ONLY thing that is valuable in a car is how fast it is, either in a straight line or around corners. Which is fine for some (and often fine for me, too). But it isn't a universal truth. Sometimes it's just nice to have a custom cruiser. I don't need to be trying top pull 1G laterally every time I see a corner, nor do I need to try and squeeze the last tenth of a second out of my 0-60 every time the light goes green. There ARE times it's fun. But I don't have to have every car I own do that, or be capable of it on a moments notice. And a lot of buyers feel the same way (and if they aren't buying this, they bought Prowlers, or bought shop-built turn-key street rods, or built their own customs and street rods).

I love the looks, and the basic layout (considering it IS a v8 powered, RWD car, it should have a lot of hot rod potential). And it's price is in line with any other turn key street rod. But the average consumer doesn't understand any of that, so it gets a bad rap.

It's based on the guys that build stuff like this (or have it built for them):

http://www.carnut.org/show/01/pbo/nat438.jpg

Whenever I see one, I think of all the custom convertible street rod trucks in magazines, and then I think of custom versions like this:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/images/320-2003-Chevy-SSR-Hot-Rod-Power-Tour-. jpg

http://www.so-calssr.com/img/cars/ssr_f34_1.jpg

(the last one is equipped with the magnacharger supercharger system)

posted by  ChrisV

They are still UGLY!!

posted by  BavarianWheels

That is just my opinion. I would not buy a truck unless I needed it to haul stuff. I'm just not into hot rodding.

posted by  abless

According to your prior post, you're intolerant toward hotrodding, unaware of hotrodding history, or it's relevance to car culture in general, and in general, if it isn't your favorite thing, it's stupid and pointless for anyone.

Do you ONLY buy things that you need? Nothing you ever bought was merely something you wanted, or thought was "cool" in some way? If not, I feel sorry for you. If you have, then you have no room to talk about other things that are done just because people think it's "cool."

posted by  ChrisV

I don't hate hotrods, I would just never have one. Also, I would never buy an automobile I wouldn't want. If I bought any kind of truck, it would only be for hauling stuff and work. I respect other people's hotrods mostly because of all the (restoration) work they put into them, and for their performance. The SSR takes absolutly no work, and doesn't perform particularly well either.

posted by  abless

i dont like it one bit... i think its pretty darn ugly, and im not exactly a big chevy guy

posted by  mazda6man

i have seen some around, they look nice and plus not alotta people have em so i guess its a plus knowing that you'll rarely see someone else driving the same car. In my opinion though i wouldnt get it.

posted by  WS6cruiser

its funny how i had the same type of argument with ChrisV about imports vs domestics.
Bav was right on the button :thumbs:

posted by  importluva

I really like the SSR, but it would be nice to have an engine that that isn't a maytag... :laughing:

posted by  MOPAR

Your Message