corvette vs viper

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  corvette vs viper

at the local chevy dealership they just recently got in a 2004 corvette V8 5.7 , 6 speed man. with under 200 miles, yesterday the dodge place just got a 2000 dodge viper V10 , 6 speed man. with over 27,000 miles and naturally there have been what if's about them racing. if they did race would the viper make the corvette look like a joke or does the corvette stand a chance?

posted by  vette2004

in drag racing, the viper will own the vette, even if its a z06.

posted by  importluva

yeah dude...straight out the Viper would smoke the Vette

posted by  SuperJew

Yup... the Viper would and should own... gotta like dodge!

posted by  StiMan

Hmmm.. Thats strange.. Everyone seems to be wrong so far...

1998 Dodge Viper RT/10

0-60: 4.1
1/4 mile: 12.30

2004 Z06 vette..

0-60 4.0
1/4 mile: 12.05

Oh, and the new Z06 suspension setup means that it will also handle better too... :banghead:

And yes, my recent attitude is but a vain attempt to make up for the lack of VW being here... :ticking:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

::points back to an old thread::

9 Second BMW (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1226)

Now what say you?

:laughing: :laughing: :wink2:

posted by  BavarianWheels

My ex got a 330 diesel for her 17th then wrapped it round a tree 2 months later, her dads Internal Sytems director of O2, so he bought her a daewoo matiz and a appartment in manchester to make up for it. why did i dump her again???? :-s

posted by  cinqyg

...and the relevance is...???

posted by  BavarianWheels

Dumbass.

Anyway, what kind of viper are we talking here? Theres tons of them you monkies :hi: . Now look, take a Hennessey Viper and DAMN! 0-60 in 2.something seconds! F*ck! Vette would look like a damn lawnmower out of fuel.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Ya I was wondering the same thing. I was also going to point out the same facts that R34RB30DETTV did but alas I was too late. For the Money the new Vette is even cheaper than the Viper too. That leads me to think, which would I rather drive? That is a tough question as well

posted by  Voda48

Not if we were comparing it to your 2.0s vette that you were talking about earlier this month. They should be pretty comparable then, huh?

posted by  Voda48

the vette is obviously cheaper, by a large margin, so why not just slap on a turbocharger on the vette and smoke verything for less money?

posted by  shekky

you picked the rt, which i think is a convertible. its a little slower and heavier than the gts coupe version, but no matter, we are comparaing cars that were made 6 years apart.

Also, post a link to where you got those numbers.

posted by  importluva

you definitely can't compare a 1998 Viper to a 2004 Z06...and when one compares the 2004 Viper to the 2004 Vette...

" Even when compared with the $70,000 Viper, this Vette can hold its own. Sure the Viper with 450 HP will take it off the line, but not by much, and the Z06 is better balanced and easier to drive."

also...

Acceleration 0 to 60 4.2 Seconds
Top Speed 171 (Manufacturer's Figures)
1/4 mile Acceleration 12.6 Secs. 114 MPH (Manufacturer's Figures)

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/CorvetteZ06/

and the Viper...

Acceleration 0-62 mph s: <4.0
Top Speed mph (km/h): 190 (306)

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/viper_srt.asp

how about them apples. :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

speaking of the 2k4 viper, i was reading an article in motortrend about the viper vs ford gt. check it out here (http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index5.html)
seems the gt has better 0-100 but the viper wins in the 1/4th. these cars are monsters.

posted by  importluva

Those 2 second vettes were not even really vettes anymore. Not one stock screw was on the thing probably.. :mrgreen:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Ya... I remember reading that the Viper beats the Vette... must have been quite recently that i read it

posted by  StiMan

Ok, now here comes the Lietenfeilter (however you spell it) Vette... Ok, now heres a serious can of whoop ass... 0-60 1.6. 0-100 2.8. 0-200 6.5 secs and 254.7 mph.. Ok, so now we have mentioned the fastest road legal car in the world i think we can all agree the vette wins.. Oh and for those figures i had of the viper, they were the fastest i could find, i took the best of both cars twice now and the vette has kicked the vipers ass, BOTH TIMES.. Jus grow up, put down you baby bottle and accept the vette is better, epsecially when you consider the cost... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I have a seriously hard time imagining that this car is street legal. IF it is, what street are we talking about because I want to move there!! :thumbs:

posted by  Voda48

Yes, it is.. It is the L98 '88 vette sledgehammer that was tuned even more.. We discussed it on this forum bout a month ago... Have a look 4 it if you can b bothered/if you think its worth it... :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

dude...youre the one who needs a reality check. you cant compare a Lingenfelter Vette to a normal Viper. its like comparing apples and oranges.
:banghead:

posted by  SuperJew

Yeah. It's no use explain that to airheads that know, know, know there right. I'm just staying out of this.

posted by  DodgeRida67

dude, are you blind. i just posted a link to an article where the viper challenges the gt, and wins in the 1/4. 0-60 in 3.9 and 1/4 in 11.77. the hell are you talking about, you obviously didnt find all of the numbers. comparing 2k4 vette to a 2k4 viper is more even, and the viper will win the 1/4.
dont be another ignorant fanboi.

posted by  importluva

OK, everyone has their own numbers for testing vehicles, results may vary.... so lets just drop the 0-60 BS as our main criteria for judging which car is better and focus on other things.

posted by  Voda48

I DID, I COMPARED A 2004 VETTE AND A 2004 VIPER, THEN I COMPARED AN EXAMPLE OF A MODIFIED VIPER SOMEONE PUT INTO THE EQUATION AND SO I GAVE ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THE VETTE KICKING ASS...READ IT PROPERLY...

*IN MEMORY OF VW*... THINK, TYPE, SUBMIT... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hmmm.. oh, wait.. I DIDN'T!!! I COMPARED IT TO SOMEONE ELSES MODIFIED VIPER!!! Look below..

Just because i proved you wrong before... :hi:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

well then you need to clarify what you're comparing mate...

and sources for the numbers you got would help a tonne.. :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

who cares, you cant drive either very fast around a corner.

posted by  cinqyg

"Mate"? You really are becoming a brit..! Well i typed something into google and a website popped up with figures on it and i used those..

True true..! And neither can carry four people or a weekends luggage, especially if a gal is involved..! Hell, they coundn't evena carry a weekends shoes..

Hey, for those of you that kinda know me, sry 4 my bitching contest, you all know i don't start trouble, but i jus had had a bad week.. s'all..! :screwy: :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

True... very true!

Correct! I think we should just settle down alittle... everyone gets different stats! No need to b*tch about it! This is a place to learn, not a place to b*tch against each other...

posted by  StiMan

What is really puzzling is how the GT had better time 0-everything, had a higher trap speed, and still a slower 1/4 time. What that means is basically the GT was faster to 100 mph, and somewhere between 100 and 124 the Viper Caught it and passed, the GT started to accelerate again, and re-passed the Viper. (After the 1/4 was over.) Sounds kind of fishy.
The Viper is much better suited to drag racing than is the GT. The GT is a track-racing car, and would outclass the Viper in the twisties. (Hell, it outclassed a Porsche GT3 and a Ferrari Challenge Stradale.)

posted by  Widowmaker2k

whatever man, i dunno wat you are saying, but screw it. alls i gt to say is im standing by MTs numbers, and the result is viper>vette in 1/4. end of story.

yes, quite puzzling. always a problem with mag testers, dunno what exactly the conditions were, driver, etc.

posted by  importluva

u gave the times on a dodge viper year 1998, he said dodge viper year 2000, and yes the viper would smoke the corvete. the 2000 dodge viper is faster, and Zo6 i dont like, and it sucks, the look of it blows too. :tard: :driving:

posted by  szakal

This is why i like the reliant scimitar, well once you have got rid of the essex engine, its amazing what diffrence a bit of tweeking does for it, alloy frame you just double the tube wall thickenss, same strenth 1/2 the weight, take shunted jag xtype and fit the running gear and you have a lightweight 240bhp AWD sports estate for under 2k!

posted by  cinqyg

Most propably to do with gearing and how wide the torque bands are on each car.. :2cents: Alternatively it may just be the drivers.. You know, human error... :screwy:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I would call it a draw. I mean one stronger in one spot than the other is. One mabey faster but the other may have more tourqe. So I call it a draw.

posted by  archangle

Have you seen the new GT3R?? stripped out version of the GT3, no carpets, radio, perpex rear screen, fixed perspex windows, no stereo, carbon fibre bonnet, they have taken 150kg out of it.

posted by  cinqyg

No I have not,but it sounds like it sucks,I was talking about the GT and the 2000 viper.

posted by  archangle

its quicker than a ferrari modena, its a track only car

posted by  cinqyg

Hate to break it to you, but just because you dont like it doesnt take away 100 hp or something...
I dont personally like it either, but I still respect it...

That GT3R sounds pretty nifty...

posted by  StiMan

GT?? What GT? GT means Grand Tourismo... Now how many cars could that possibly entail???

I will assume you mean the Porsche GT3 RS.. Oh and they have only taken 85kg out of it... :mrgreen: :thumbs:

It's actually EXACTLY the same speed as the 360 SC though.. :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

No.....GT means 'Grand Tourer' :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Uh there might be a difference in culture here. I have heard it as Grand Turismo (sp?)

posted by  Voda48

LOL...When I saw your reply to this thread, I put my thinking cap on....my theory is...they mean the same thing :ohcrap: ...and it's 'Gran Turismo' I believe :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Yes, it stand for Grand Turismo (spelling... I dunno) I believe that Ferrari or some other Italian make first used it and then the other car companies just plain copied them... :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

He he he.. Diffrence in culture..? Umm.. no offence Voda but me and cliffy are but a few miles apart.. I guess diffrerent people hear difrrent things..!

Oh and cliffy, i do believe that tourismo is italian for tour, or tourer! :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

Ya... I know that it is Italian...

posted by  StiMan

im going with the Viper because I'd say that overall it's faster and it's bulky appearance looks strong and fast. The Corvette looks slick but I don't think it presents it's power like the Viper

posted by  SilverCivicSi98

I would go with the Viper, because I always think of the Corvettes as a middle-aged man's car. I almost never see anyone under about 40 driving a Vette. Vipers, on the other hand, seem more "youthfull". Maybe I'm just crazy.

This kinda reminds me of a video I downloaded off the internet, where this guy turboed his viper, and it make ~860 hp. Then he dragged some sportbikes. The viper owner bought a stock $80,000 viper, put tens of thousands of dollars worth of mods on it (I'm guessing about $40,000), and dragged some sport bikes with a 40-60 mph roll-on (which is better for the car). He dragged a few different bikes, mainly Suzuki Huyabusa 1300's ($10,000), with varying degrees of modifications. He got owned by 'Busa with less than $1,000 worth of mods on it. I felt so sorry for the guy.

posted by  abless

Ya well I have also seen a couple of vids where the oppoisite was true. When I get back home I will post them up for people to look at.

posted by  Voda48

EDIT: I'll create a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

posted by  abless

You and your bikes... Once the bikers crash going very fast they have a smaller chance of survival than the guy in the Viper, so it all balences out! :2cents: :screwy: :thumbs: :laughing:

posted by  StiMan

Automobile drivers just need to learn how to drive. Way too many motorcycle fatalities are because of stupid car drivers. :cussing: :banghead:

posted by  abless

Way too many? More like pretty much all...! :screwy:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

LOL....You wanna try driving in London?....it might be different in the US, but over here most motorcycle fatalities are caused by stupid motorcyclists who think they are invinsible...not only do they risk everybodies life, but they give respectfull car drivers...and motorcyclists for that matter, a bad name :ticking:

posted by  Cliffy

I agree there are a few bad apples that give motorcycling a bad name, but there are plenty of non-stunters and responsible riders out there too.

posted by  abless

Who the hell gives a sh!t? The idea of a bike to me is to thrash the hell out of it.. All i can do is to pin open the throttle in every gear untill i run out of road.. And evidenetly from my accident 2 weeks ago 2morrow i leave it too late sometimes.. But hell, i just got back on the bike and carried on being insane.. :screwy: And that is why bikes are more fun than cars :hi: Although cars do brake and corner better and have a higher top speed.. And at the top fuel end of drag-racing cars are faster in acceleration there.. :orglaugh: But none the less bikes have more bang for you buck and are a hell of alot more fun in any case.. :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

It is just like that here! I was driving down the DNT (Dallas North Tollway) today and a motorcyclist drove right between my car and the Elantra in the other lane... Motorcycles and thier drivers are crazy, and they blame everyone else when they die... :screwy: :banghead: :cussing: :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

How can one blame somone when one is dead? lol jk.....I hate it when motorcyclists blame everyone but themselves :ticking:

posted by  Cliffy

Sorry.. but you obviously knew what I meant..

posted by  StiMan

Wanna rethink the red part?

posted by  abless

NO...

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

LOL. Since when do cars have higher speeds than bikes and quicker braking? :screwy:

You screwball :mrgreen:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Two words.. Relative Roll-axis.. Think about it... :ticking: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I wish I had a choice of a V10 Dodge Viper!!

Never fair though.. the good ole Holden 5.7L Gen III V8's that come in Holden SS's are damn sexy.... sound hot too!

posted by  00NZL

:cussing: That's what I'm talking about....If you think that the Viper takes the Vette.....Watch out for the easter bunny....he's coming personnaly to bring you an egg...and it's a Dodge! :screwy: It's funny how all of these people know so much about these cars, but don't own any of them! :twisted: Thats like saying the Prowler could beat?????? Nothing!!!! Wishfull thinking Dodge fans.... :laughing: bring

posted by  SNAKEKILLER!

hold on here what the hell dont you guys get its a 04 viper vs a z06 ok---- the viper will win in a race not by much iv seen a z06 with only exhuast and a intake pull a srt-10 viper soo its nothing like the viper will put 10 cars on teh z06 but it will beat it in the 1/4 but the thing is the vipers unconfy like a mother f-cker and really small inside -- its not a daily drive type car like the z06 is and have a vette my self i can tell you its a pretty nice ride- the facts are tho a stock viper will beat a stock z06 - it dose have what 500 hp compared to 405 hp but the vette still is right on the vipers ass and with the new z06 coming out with the 7.0 427 should take care of the viper - both of the cars are nice the vipers are alot more rare but thats because i cant think of any one who would want to drive that car every day - most of you gusy just talk right out of your ass - just because you like the other car better- the viper dose look better and performance is also better in a viper just for what 30g more lol any way if i had to pick i would take the z06 because its cheap to mod and its easy to drive

posted by  01vette

Learn how to type. I cant read this for very long.

posted by  StiMan

Hmmmmmm, A corvette is for the over 40 crowd ? I'm 28 and I'm on my third vette. As far as the whole viper vette comparison, viper would win. But if you talk about the simple bang for your buck factor, a vette is hard to beat. The price on that viper is steeeeeeep, For the money I save on a vette I could mod that sucker up and show viper boy some taillights. I've driven a GTS coupe the are super fun, but hopefully you like heat cause it got pretty toasty in that interior. Everyday drivability is a big factor and the vette beats the viper hands down. If I only want to drive my $ 70,000 to $ 80,000 viper one day a week that's not money well spent in my eye's. When the 2006 Z06 comes out I think viper salesman have some tough compettion from the bowtie boy's.... :wink2: :wink2:

posted by  ode94

What you ned to remember, ode, is that Viper owners are buying a bit more exclusivity, and cars that aren't often confused with secretary cars, like basic Corvettes often have been.

Both cars are excellent cars, and Z06 rock. But the truth is, the Viper's more exclusive and that commands the higher price.

If it were my money? Well, look at me in this one:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/cviper3.jpg

As for bang for the buck, I can make a Pinto outperform you car for a lot less money. But is it a better car because of it?

posted by  ChrisV

The previously posted numbers don't compare cars from the same year. Here are the latest available versions of both cars (all numbers from Road&Track):

Chevrolet Corvette C6 Coupe $53,815
400hp LS2 V8
0-60: 4.5
1/4: 12.9 @ 112.3 mph
Top speed: 186 mph
60-0: 114 ft.
SkidPad: 0.95g
Slalom: 67.0 mph

Dodge Viper SRT-10 $83,795
500hp V10
0-60: 4.1
1/4: 12.2 @ 119.6 mph
Top speed: 190 mph
60-0: 114 ft.
SkidPad: 1.04g
Slalom: 68.6 mph

...and coming soon:
Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 $62,500
500hp '427' LS7 V8
0-60: 3.8
1/4: 11.7 @ 127.0 mph

Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe (GTS) $86,000
500hp V10
0-60: 3.9
1/4: 12.1 @ 121.0 mph

Modifieds? Here are the current best from each car's most respected builder (all numbers from Nov '04 Car&Driver SuperCar ShootOut):

2004 Lingenfelter 427 Twin Turbo C5 Corvette $149,187
800hp 427 Twin Turbo V8
0-60: 4.2
1/4: 11.6 @ 136 mph
150-0: 682 ft.

2004 Hennessey Venom Twin Turbo SRT-10 $162,054
800hp Twin Turbo V10
0-60: 3.7
1/4: 11.1 @ 141 mph
150-0: 705 ft.

posted by  Gothicaleigh

Well, I never knew that a vette was for secretary's. As far as a viper is concerned your right. I believe that you are getting some exclusivity with the viper, hence the higher price tag.I guess that I like the way I can feel at ease knowing I can drive my vette everyday, without frying my nuts off ! And as far as the pinto, why would you destroy/mod a superb piece of automotive history like that ! :hi:

posted by  ode94

Hehehe. Vette's gopt that reputation in the '70s and into the '80s with low power, automatic equipped models that were bought by all sorts of non-performance people. They are still available in comfort and convenience models, but the Viper was pretty much a raw race car (the new ones have changed that a bit, getting a bit more comfortable).

http://www.imperialclub.com/Articles/75Detroit/Page6.jpg

I never fried my nuts off in that Viper, or the one I drove on the track.

As for the Pinto, my first SCCA race car was a Pinto 2 liter, and they make excellent road racers and drag cars.

http://www.fordpinto.com/images/Ypinto/Ypinto72a.gif
http://www.fordpinto.com/images/Ypinto/Ypinto9d.GIF
http://www.fordpinto.com/images/Ypinto/Ypinto6.GIF
http://www.fordpinto.com/images/Ypinto/Ypinto43.GIF
http://www.fordpinto.com/images/Ypinto/Ypinto53.GIF
http://www.fordpinto.com/images/Ypinto/Ypinto87.gif
http://www.fordpinto.com/images/Ypinto/Ypinto101.gif

The point being, since I can make one of these quicker than a Corvette or Viper for less money, does tham make a new Corvette a bad buy in the "bang for your buck" competition? Of course not. So slamming on the Viper for being more money than the Vette is beside the point.

posted by  ChrisV

Never at any point would I slam the viper in any way shape or form, more expensive are not. I like the viper, it's just my opinion that when I drove one for two days it was just very warm and uncomfortable for me. Just to let you know, as of right now my secreraty mobile is pushing around 425hp. And may god be your witness, you shall burn in hell for chopping the all mighty pinto. lol :hi: :hi:

posted by  ode94

Hmm. Sorry to respond, then. I see every sentence in this post:

As cutting down on the Viper for reasons that teh vette can be cut down on by onwers of other cars. I mean, why buy either a Viper OR a Vette, when you can only carry two people? Hope you like being alone..." see what I mean? Everyday useability is way low on both of them for a family guy like myself, when I need to be able to carry more than one other person in my daily driver. Once it's a given that it can't BE a daily driver due to only being a two seater, then any daily driver requirements are GONE. In fact, looking at a sports car as a practical daily driver is just the wrong way of looking at it, especially a high performance one.

All the Vipers I've seen have A/C and are no more uncomfortable than lot of other fast cars (and some not so fast ones, like my non-A/C equipped Fiat in my sig)

I mean, most of what you were talking about was how it wasn't a good investment for YOUR money, but since I could beat your Corvette for less money, then even your corvete isnt' a good bargain for your money, compared to what you could have built.

The point is, you LIKE your Corvette, and decided the cost is worth it to have what you want, which is why the Viper isn't any worse of a deal, as it's worth it to the owners for what THEY want.

Hell, right now I can't afford either, so it's a moot point.. :laughing:

BTW, I've had 3 Pintos, and love them as race car projects.

posted by  ChrisV

Great point, I've alway's told my friends when they talk smack, there is always something faster than what you got. I wil admit being smoked a few times by this guy in a 59 Anglia wagon,(347 stroker,c6, 4.56 9in) dam that cars quick. As far as being alone, I'm married, she's got the soccer mom suv, and I have my Avalanche for the kiddies, when we are blessed with them. And as far as the pinto goes, I'm just foolin around, I love those little cars, they look so cool all dragged out, I like the vegas too.. Thanks for a informitive response. You've changed my ideals on a couple of my opinions. :doh: :doh:

posted by  ode94

April C/D, with 2 pages on the Lingenfelter 402 C6 Corvette. pg 132

$85,781 as tested (base price of $61,149)
510bhp @ 6000rpm
500 lb-ft @ 4600
0-60 3.7
0-100 8.5
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 122 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph 163ft
Foadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 1.00g

I know of someone who drives his Viper once every now and then, usually on weekends, but never in the winter because of the bad weather. I don't think it's too unusual, like ChrisV said, it's a high performance car and not quite practical for everyday use.

posted by  ToCkS

Good catch. I knew Lingenfelter was coming out with a new C6 car, but couldn't find the issue I had read it in...

posted by  Gothicaleigh

Lingenfelter owns the crown in mass-modified on some pages, and hennessy owns the crown on others;

(Lingenfelter)
Lingenfelter 1 (http://www.fast-autos.net/0to60.html)
Lingenfelter 2 (http://www.fast-autos.com/lingenfeltercenter.html#427tt)
Lingenfelter 3 (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=3414)

(hennessy)
Viper 1 (http://www.fast-autos.net/14mile.html)
Viper 2 (http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/ItemDetail.php?It em_ID=142&cart=POCHxqJK&DoThis=Dodge+Viper+SRT10&ActionReq=Where)

What would you take, if I gave it to you for free? A 427 corvette TT or a Venom 1000TT?

posted by  Godlaus

I'd rather a Venom 1000TT.

I'm not a fan of the 2003-Present Vipers. They look bland compared to the old Vipers. If I had $85,000, I'd place an order for the 2006 Z06. The upcoming Z06 is the only Corvette that I truly prefer over the 2002 Viper GTS.

posted by  -What-

then, you would prefer some other car over a GTS?

I do agree that they look kinda bland, but I'm more for performance than looks.
http://www.adamfinecars.com/images/2005viper.jpg
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~herbs/fs-gts.jpg

Still, dodge could do so much more with the viper, rather than just stick a stupidly-huge, pushrod 20 valve truck engine in a sports car chassis.

http://photo.thetechzone.com/data/503/1951gx624_c6_z06_4-med.jpg

It also pains me how much the side panels on the C6 and the srt-10 look alike.

To answer my own question, it's hennessy, because it turns so many heads, and with the right radials, can hit 0-60 in the 1 second range.

posted by  Godlaus

Some other car that isn't a Corvette? Yes, there are many cars that I prefer over a GTS; none in its price range though.

I understand your point of view, but to me, the 2002 Viper GTS isn't a car that I'm afraid to give a performance upgrade. But I would be afraid to visually upgrade any Viper, so if I purchased a newer Viper, I'd be stuck with the looks. But besides, the 2002 Viper GTS performs well enough for me even if it was left stock.

posted by  -What-

I love how kids simply just don't get it. The POINT of the Viper was a "stupidly huge, pushrod engine in a sports car chassis." Just like the original Cobra and Cad Allards. Bob Lutz was driving his AC Cobra replica one day and was commenting on how it's sad that car makers don't make raw beasts like that anymore. That everything has to be refined, safe, and frankly, boring. So when they were going to introduce the then-new Ram V10, he commissioned an all aluminum one built and put it into a Cobra-like show car. And people went nuts over it.

If you think that putting a pushrod V10 of 8 liters in a sports car chassis is a bad idea, then you aren't the target market, because you simply don't understand, nor will. Ever.

posted by  ChrisV

I'm no tthe target market, yes, but never did I say it was a bad idea, I just said that dodge can make such a better car, rather than just put an oversized truck engine in a sports car chassis. They could compete with the Ford GT and any other high performance car.

Why don't they make a better/faster car? Just that they only want to target one demographic?

posted by  Godlaus

Apparently, as Mercedes killed teh ME412 project (the guy that was teh head of that project went to VW and revived teh Bugatti project).

Simply put, the Viper is the only new vehicle like it. That makes it different instead of just another copycat supercar. And the fact that it's different is why it was built in the first place. In fact, a lot of us were disappointed when the SRT-10 version came out, as it was too refined for the concept. It's no longer a modern Cobra, but just a S2000/Corvette with a bigger engine.

posted by  ChrisV

the viper would beat not kill the z06 in a line and on the track. i have both a 2002 z06 and 2004 viper the viper is definitely more powerful and is cooler and more exclusive. the z06 runs 0-60 in 4 sec. and i have seen the viper run 0-60 in 3.8 and 3.9. The 1/4 mile of the z06 is 12.1 and the vipers is 11.77. the viper also brakes faster. viper 60-0 in 97 ft. and z06 60-0 in 104 ft. the viper is the 1st car to do 60-0 in under 100 ft. in a recent r&t mag the vette nipped the viper by .3 sec in a lap. they admitted though they made a mistake twice with the viper. they can't drive it motortrend can. the vipers interior is nicer with the great speakers and suade seats. the top speed is also 195. i know you think 190 but my friend got 195 on a drag. besides doesn;t it make sense. 110 ibs. less than gts, 50 more hp and 35+ torque. get a viper

posted by  vipervette500

annnndddd.... keep on reading. They had just as much practice, if not more with the viper as they did with the corvette. The hairpin part you're talking about requires practice, and I'm sure that the corvette will still beat the viper with as much practice. Besides, they competed with the base C6, not the Z06. Imagine that car with an extra 100 horsepower and foot pounds. It would kill the viper around the track, and arguably in the straight line. it would all depend on the driver.

C6 Z06>Viper>C6.

I'm calling your bluff, by the way, you don't own a viper or a corvette. sorry :cry:

posted by  Godlaus

Your Message