Dodge Avenger anyone?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Dodge Avenger anyone?

I was just reading a review of a Dodge Avenger ES on www.epinions.com, and much to my surprise, many people are unimpressed. It seems like it would be a great car to me- not only is it one of the best looking cars on the road, it also has a 2.5L V-6, which cooks up 163 ponies. Weight is unimpressive, though. Just over 3100? I mean, come on. But really- does anyone have experience with this car? Does its performance live up to its looks? I hope so- it's in contention for the prized "first car" title. :ohcrap:

posted by  Patrick

How about a more direct link to what you were reading? :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

Apologies. Here you are.
http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-1996_Dodge_Avenger/display_~reviews

The first review, which states that 0-60 is rated at about 16 seconds for the V-6 I disregarded. No car that I know of has that slow of 0-60 times. Quarter mile, maybe- in which case, 16 wouldn't be too shabby.

posted by  Patrick

It seems alright.. Have you driven one? That is as far as i'm concerened the best and only way to see if you like a car..! :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I have not. My biggest problem is that I'd like to be able to either yay or nay a car without having to go drive one- my parents aren't so into just test-driving without serious interest in buying. :banghead: Oh well. Point taken. :doh:

posted by  Patrick

LOL.. yeah.. we need a website that offers virtual reality test-drives of a car.. Would save ALOT of time.. neway.. i need to see my bimbo now.. We'll resolve ur prob l8r m8.. bye. :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

Agreed. :clap:

posted by  Patrick

Hey Patrick I think I can help you and save you some time. When i was buying a new car back in 2000 I test drove a brand new Avenger V6. The car's looks were what made me want to test drive it. That however, was about the only endearing aspect of the car. The acceleration was horrible. I was so confused by the lack of acceleration that I asked the car dealer riding with me if this was the four cylender he gave me instead of the V6... he assured me it was V6 and that pretty much did it for me. Breaking was unimpressive and even though the car had double wish bone suspension it handled less like a sport's coup and more like my mom's buick.
Well no matter what, the most important thing is for you to test drive as many cars as you can so you know what is the best for you.

BTW: Try taking a look at the 99-02 Mercury Cougars if you want to go domestic. 2.5 liter V6, 170 HP and 0-60 in around 8 seconds. That's the car I ended up chosing and have been very happy. :2cents:

posted by  runamuk

Yeah, the more cars you test the more you will get an idea of you want.. :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

Personally, I'd love a Mercury Cougar, but until now I was unaware whether or not they were available with a stickshift.... are they??? :wink2:

posted by  Patrick

Another thing- domestic is not even close to a must-have. Imports are just as, if not more welcome, in my opinion. I just love Dodge to death, so.... :thumbs:

posted by  Patrick

I agree my best friend "had" a 1998 Avenger with the V-6 5-speed stick. He was impressed until i took him in my 96' Grand Am SE with a 2.4L 4cyl (150hp) automatic. They are nice looking but serious lack of power, does good in the snow though. I haven't seen any kitted in my town yet. The Neon would be a better car for power or a Viper...lol :laughing:.

posted by  decap66

Yeah, they are available with a 5 speed stick which i definitly would recommend. Also if you do end up looking at a cougar look for one with the sports package. The sports package adds 16 inch wheels, the same suspension that comes from the SVT Contour, 4 wheel disks, stiffer spring rates and the VR rated all seasons which are amazing.

Personally, i almost went with a 2000 Celica GTS over my Coug. The GTS however was just too small to take all my stuff to college, although performance wise, it was was a step up from the Cougar. I think that a GTS will cost you about $2-$3000 more though.

posted by  runamuk

Thanks- I'll go to check them out now. Problem is, will I be able to afford one for $4000? We'll find out soon enough.... :thumbs:

posted by  Patrick

Hmmm- update. I looked for a cougar on the internet on www.autotrader.com for under 4k, and was unable to find one. I found a Mercury Mystique, though.... with a 4 cylinder.... I like the car, but I'm not sure I'd want it. And that is for a few reasons- 1) Four doors. Not too keen on four doors.
2) When a V6 is available on the car, I'd much rather get one with that engine.
Thoughts?

posted by  Patrick

Maybe I can offer you some help, since I drive one!

I will agree with you that the acceleration on the car isn't all that great. Braking is great. I will also agree with whomever it was that mentioned it was great in the snow. I have never had problems with my engine or anything, but I will say that some of the interior can be broke easily - but just can't be rough with it like I was.

If you have any other questions I will be glad to help you out!

posted by  StarAvengerGirl

I know this isn't a popular choice but I think it'll get you everything you want...

A buick regal gs
3.8l v6 (one of gm's best engines ever built) 205 horsies 230 lb ft torque
0-60 in the 7's 15 second quarter
does awesome in rain and snow and handles pretty good
and since there not really that popular you can get them pretty cheap and it's a really reliable car on top of that as long as your smart when buying it

posted by  Pieface

Question- What is with this forum and all the people who suggest Buick Regals?! I am all for sleepers... But Buick? Not so much. It's not what I'm looking for... at all-I'm not 80.... ! :guns:

posted by  Patrick

Awesome... I must say. I love Dodge Avengers. They are quite attractive, plenty big (while not carrying along two extra doors), and seem like very nice cars. I do have a few questions, though... What engine does your car have? As well, may I inquire on transmission type (A manual is a must-have, and I'd like to know if I can consider your input on speed slower than (in the case of an auto.), or the same as the car I'd get), and have you timed your Avenger on 0-60? Just wondering- I'm having trouble finding 0-60 times on Avenger's that specify what engine/tranny they tested. Any help is appreciated. :orglaugh:

posted by  Patrick

I own a 98 Avenger.. I love it to death! If a manual is a must have, go for the I4, V6 dose not come in Stick. I4 has quicker acceleration, but it dose not have the top speed a v6 has. There are so many more parts for the I4 than the V6. If you are looking for a car you can easily modifiy, go for the I4. Once you own an Avenger, I promise you will love it. I wrecked mine into the side of a jeep, I was going 45 and she pulled out in front of me. I have a scratch in my front bumper, a small wrinkle in my hood, and she had a huge dent in the side of her jeep. I was so surprised on how well it took the wreck. For more info on Avenger visit

posted by  Wesley0913

I have a 96 dodge avenger piece of crap. Trust me, you don't want a dodge
More problems than any car I have ever had...You have been warned....

posted by  rob geesus

:screwy:

posted by  Oomba

it's a damned good thing you showed up to warn him 1 year and 3 months later... :banghead: :tard: :drool:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message